1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So what if Green goes first?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Pandaemonaeon, Jul 2, 2021.

1. Rockets4Life13

Anthony Davis is one that i forgot but some would take Lillard over Davis. It’s arguable, but I’ll concede that, i forgot to count him in.
    Dwight‘s prime wasn’t long enough but his peak is definetely the highest out of his class. Overall, i take Iggys impact over Dwights in the NBA, but again, peak wise Dwight is definitely first.
    Still, thats 3/18;4/18 which is still not all that much.
    But then again, I’m not sure if Ja Morant won’t end up being the more successful player than Zion.

hakeem94 likes this.
  2. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

you were 100% spot on... personally i am not impressed by any of the top 3...some random guy taken in second round may end up a better player than all of them...i am not a fan of tanking...i just hope stone knows how to draft AND develop...

BallSoHarden, fattz and D-rock like this.
  3. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Everything they say about Evan Mobley except without the West Coast
    bias hype machine behind him

*Great footwork
    *SG/SF ball skills
    *Can shoot the ball
    *Can defend 1-5
    *Blocks shots
    *Rebounds

Look ma, a Unicorn

4. conquistador#11

Obviously we trade the second pick because that slot is cursed.

5. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

yeppers, we’re in the Dark(o) Era of TheGoodGuys…

Invisible Fan likes this.
  6. mightybosstone

But consider that there are 60 players drafted every year; 4 out of 18 is actually really great. Also consider that out of all the No. 1 picks since 1990, 21 of them made an All-Star team. That's incredible, and it doesn't account for the recent guys who inevitably become All-Stars someday.

There's a reason why top picks are coveted.

7. Rockets4Life13

I’m not trying to say that top picks aren’t cool to have, the only thing i wanted to point out is that Cade most likely won’t be the best player out of this draft class. Just wanted to say this because everyone acts like that’s a given.

8. Rockets4Life13

I’m sold on Green. Love his mentality and his desire to be great. Wiggins, who you love to bring up, never had that.

Second rounders are rarely really the best player out of their class. The latest great second rounder is Jokic which is definitely impressive.

youre right tho, picking the right guy and developing is key. But it’s easier to pick the right guy when you have more players to choose from.

Not a fan of taking either. If you suck, you suck. But we lucked out and in the end it was worth it. Next year we own our pick and i fully expect us to not tank intentionally.

9. Fefo

Fefo Member

You forgot Dwight Howard, and the zion ja morant is too early to call, but the rest is true. Some of them are really close calls or injurys that derail players, but you can make a case, that only in 2003 and 2004 the n1 pick was the best in the class.

10. fattz

fattz Member

Dream went first but was in the same draft class as MJ so was Dream the best player in his class?
    I know I want Hakeem 10 times out of 10 but the other player is Michael Jordan.

Easy and xiki like this.
  11. conquistador#11

You can drive yourself crazy thinking about the success rate of every lotto slot in the past 20 years.

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

How often was the #2 pick the best in their class?

hakeem94 likes this.
  13. jnuge90

jnuge90 Member

By the time we get to draft night, the debate will no longer be between Green and Mobley.

It’ll be between Cade and Green for Detroit.

Green goes 1.

Book it.

14. jdiggidy

jdiggidy Member

What if Presti was in love with Cade and came strong with 2021 FRP 6 and 16 as well as two future FRP swaps. (Best swap choices 2023 and 2024)

Not sure Cade is worth that but if it was offered?

hakeem94 likes this.
  15. ball king23

ball king23 Member

then you take cade

16. rockets13champs

Duh

17. mightybosstone

It's not a given. It never is. But when you're a terrible team drafting toward the top, you always go BPA because that's the player most likely to be the best out of the players remaining.

Cade is pretty much the consensus No. 1 on everyone's draft board. If Detroit makes a mistake and passes on him, Houston needs to capitalize and take him at No. 2.

D-rock likes this.
  18. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Cade sounds like the draft's best ... SG.

D-rock likes this.
  19. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

The kid looks good to me. Pick him up!

ApacheWarrior and D-rock like this.
  20. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

how come noone knew or wasnt bothered by wiggins lack of the good mentality and desire to be great?

also, do we even know for sure the desire to be great is a good thing? i mean sometimes it can be a negative thing

what is the mentality of green? and how do we know its not a passing thing with him like a transitory fancy whim, a thing hes been into or hes into it in this very moment but year from now, when reality of nba life settles, he wouldnt care about it?