1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So what grade do you give Morey on the 2012 draft?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Raven, Jun 29, 2012.

?

What grade do you give Morey on the 2012 draft?

1. A

12.6%
  2. B

35.4%
  3. C

24.0%
  4. D

15.2%
  5. F

12.8%
  1. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Orlando has much more leverage because they have the superior asset, if I was a Orlando fan I would be pissed if we got Rockets' assets in return lol... they will definitely get something better for Dwight when the trade deadline rolls around, they had no motivation to bite on the Rockets offer.

The assets Morey compiled are crap, especially after Lowry/Kmart had a go with McHale and both got injured/benched. Yeah, good way to prep ur assets for a trade Daryl Morey/McHale.

2. ArtV

ArtV Contributing Member

While I hoped for more predraft moves, I understand why they didn't fall into place and I can't fault Morey for that. Who he picked I feel good about but I think they shouldn't have spent that third pick on another PF. Im all about best player available but really in this situation Id have spent that on a flyer for a C. But the best part about this is there is no way Orlando takes our picks for a DH rental.

A-

3. toby

toby Member

I voted B. I'm gonna change my vote to "not present."

The Astros appear to be headed in a better direction.

4. meekg

meekg Member

Having depression that led to alcoholism, like Eddie Griffin had, is NOT the same thing as a fear of flying, like Royce White has.

5. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Orlando definitely has more leverage, but Houston does have a little of their own. Obviously no other team was willing to rent Howard for one year, or at least wasn't willing to give up enough for Orlando to accept a trade. You can only figure that as the season goes on, the assets teams will be willing to part with for his services will be less and less.

Let's say that Howard doesn't fully recover from his injuries and misses a significant part of the year or only plays at around 70% of his normal production. That return is even less. They even risk him injuring his back and being untradeable at the end of the year. Orlando fans will be livid that he wasn't traded earlier in order to get something for him. A player the likes of Lowry (underpaid) or Martin (large expiring) and two (at least) top 18 picks in a "deep draft" would be looking very good.

I think Morey's plan has been to add pieces this offseason in order to convince an already-on-the-roster Howard to stay long term. That's why they were willing to go for him last year at the deadline and this summer. If Howard does not materialize for them pretty quick, I think they move on. I don't believe they will be players at the deadline again this year, so Orlando won't even have them as leverage against other teams. Orlando is definitely taking a risk here if they decide to hold onto him.

6. LCII

LCII Contributing Member

Very good point about the back injury, but if Howard agrees to a sign-and-trade with another team later on, you'd have to think Orlando gets some of that leverage back. We'll see if Orlando, by not trading Howard now, has made the right decision as the season progresses. If Howard's only 70% he'd still improve our team massively, and we might actually have a chance to get him with our current assets.

#106 LCII, Jun 29, 2012
    Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
  7. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

There have been plenty of stars picked around 10. Lamb could end up being really good.

Also, guys like Manu and TP were drafted late. Scola and Marc Gasol went really late. You have to find the diamonds in the rough.

8. Cycl1

Cycl1 Member

Didnt read the whole thread, but everyone who is talking about how you wish they would have taken Zeller. Do you know that Zeller's standing reach at the combine was shorter than both White and Jones?

Zeller 8'8"
    White 8'8.5"
    Jones 8'9.5"