1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So What Exactly is Wrong With Nene?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by PigMiller, Nov 14, 2018.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Old age.

DD

2. RiceRockets

RiceRockets Member

Also guys of his size often break down a bit more, its harder for them to recover from injuries particularly legs/feet etc.

3. PuzzledFan

PuzzledFan Member

hope he's not fighting cancer again

4. amaru

amaru Member

DNP-Flaccid

5. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Hey man, it's a team fan website - is too much to ask for folks to have a touch of class regarding the players on our team? i got no problem with criticism - I throw plenty of it... but do we have to be calling over half the roster scrubs on a daily basis - and be so damn pissy about it?

When guys act like a fool and do stupid stuff - I got no problem with accountability, heck, I encourage it... but it seems some folks just like to run down the lesser players just to be a dick...

Yeh, Nene's best days are behind him, MCW is not performing to the level we'd hoped, Hartenstein really needs to show some advancement if he's gonna be a serviceable rotation player... Obviously, there are many guys that haven't reached the point of 'outplaying their contract'...but do we have to be such dickheads about our disappointment?

I'd bet that most of the guys getting on here calling our guys scrubs, would be the first guys ridin that players nuts if the actually ran into them out in public... they sure as sh*t woudnt have the stones to go up to a player and say they think he's a scrub... internet tough guys I guess...

it's childish immature crap to be runnin our guys down just for the sake of insulting them for being lower caliber players...

...imo...

BaselineFade, Grizzlyshark and jcf like this.
  6. jcf

jcf Member

Can someone remind me what happened to him in the playoffs last year? Was he injured or just didn't play due to matchups?

Also, did he (after consulting with his wife) take a discount to stay a Rocket? I have a vague memory of this which makes me cringe when I see rumors about him being part of a trade. Tough business. Completely understand why most players resist home town discounts because loyalty is not always reciprocal.

7. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

So you agree with his assesment just not the fact that he chose a slang word to describe him? So you've never used the word scrub in your life?It seems to me that you guys are saying the same thing. you're just trying to police how others speak and imo thats the biggest issue with clutchfans right now. if Im watching a game and a guy is playing badly, Im going to say he "sucks" right now. if I think he doesnt fit with the team and he's going to ruin our cohesiveness im going to call him a scrub. im sure "suck" is a word you've used before. lol "class"? who are you martha stewart? its a ****ing sports board lol. I think you dont agree with him and thats why your so sensitive. most of the people that blow up at that term are people who dont agree. policing how people speak is just another way to shut people up who you dont agree with.

8. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Was he in a HEB commercial?

9. riko

riko Member

He has the old man busted calf injury. They will linger on

10. kjayp

i'm sure i've called a guy a scrub (and worse)... like I said, I get that folks get frustrated - esp when watching a game. It just seems to be barrage lately... where everybody but our top 5 are getting called scrubs repeatedly - by supposed fans of this team....

If I'm on an ESPN site or something, then yeh, I'd expect fans of other teams to be calling our guys scrubs - but it seems folks on here cant cheer for the team without tearing half the guys down for not being superstars...

Heck, even to say a player 'is sucking right now' would be better... at least that implies that there are times they dont suck... but a scrub is a scrub...

i just dont remember any time when there was so much name calling and disrespect for our own players on this board - and we've had tons of mediocrity over the years... lol

Maybe its just folks being lazy... instead of saying 'he's not very good bc blah blah blah...' (which i would term trying to provide insightful criticisms)... they'd rather just call him a scrub and move on... I like getting other fans perspectives (even ones I dont agree with)... but just calling someone a scrub aint bringing nothing to the table... imo...

11. kjayp

I remember his wife liking Houston - so he took a below market deal - and DM actually tried to sign him to a longer contract - but the league axed it due to Nene's age... the thought was he took a longer cheaper deal to keep our payroll down at the time - expecting that we'd be eating it the back part of the deal... iirc...

jcf likes this.
  12. craguin

craguin Member

Nenê played in eleven playoff games; → check the box scores
    Bobby Marks:
    "The structure of the Nene contract with Houston is three-years, $10.9m. Houston is not permitted to give Nene a four-year contract because of the Over 38 rule. The fourth season would have extended past his 38th birthday."

I doubt Nenê is still married to → Lauren .←
    He's been dating → Briley ← for over a year now?
    Which leads us to dealing with "family issue" / "family stuff" ...

kjayp, LFE171 and jcf like this.
  13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I think you should have gone for the "nenetened" misspelling.

14. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Was she a Power Dancer before?

There is no 'real' commitment to Briley for now and there was no divorce with Lauren reported yet.

You can draw your own conclusions.

#54 daywalker02, Nov 15, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 15, 2018
  15. farhen

farhen Member

he'll retire as a rockets but not yet, not yet.

16. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Ahh ok, guess I wasn't looking well enough. Don't know, maybe I got him confused with Hartenstein. They look so much alike.

17. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

[​IMG]

18. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

He's old and too injury prone. He already couldn't do the 2nd half of B2Bs the last couple years, now he can't play the 1st half of them either.

Hopefully Morey can work his magic and find us a backup big man cuz we're thin in the front court.

19. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Is it snowing in here?

DD

20. Codman

Codman Contributing Member

It's not just old age...good lord, some fans love to call guys in their 30s "old." Like Gucci Mane mentions, you can suffer from too much sauce.

1. Ne is going through a physical injury that has lingered with him his ENTIRE career since his teens. Check his Brazil playing days...he's been balling for a long, long time.

2. Ne is also going through a family issue. I don't feel, nor need to cover specifics. Here's what's known: Kids are involved. Infer.

3. Ne realizes--especially this year-- he's expendable. He understands the business and that his contract could be included in any trade. It's an easy one to move.

4. Ne LOVES Houston, to the point that he's made more relationships/community ties than he EVER did in Denver and Washington. Consider the short time he's been here.

5. He loves ya'll, even with the total BS you spew about him not playing.

6. Injuries can happen in PRACTICE. * (Esp in Ne's situation)
    *Melo allegedly has a slight tweak from a rough rebound. Unreported/Unsubstantiated, but was told to me. This one I take with a grain of salt because:
    1a: Melo's circle wants him in an explicitly DEFINED role. Apparently, he "feels" that his role here is not specific enough, although everyone says he's been great on the court, and inside the locker room
    1b: Contract years: Melo still wants to play; Houston may not have the set up to showcase what Melo has left. That's part of his distance.
    1c: Melo's "illness" is legit; same think Tuck had.
    1d: CP/Morey have not given up on a Melo return. A break can be good.
    1E: Despite Screamin' A, MDA is not holding a grudge. He's playing the "hot hand/ energy guy" in GC. There is a bit of locker room discussion about seniority, but in all honesty, the new guy has molded into his role well.
    1F: Melo's decision will not be like Jimmy. It's sooner than later.

Lucky Number Slevin: Ears--A move is expected after the Thanksgiving holiday. I don't know enough yet to make a claim about specifics. Freebirds in the East/Implosions and Decreasing the Drop. My radiation bills have burned me enough; The board will light a dude on fire if he doesn't deliver the goods :).

Love to all my fellow Rox fans.

Happy Thursday.