1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So... what does a success look like now?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Hey Now!, Nov 28, 2011.

1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

It's probably the only factual statement in this thread. If you don't win the Superbowl, you've failed. I don't know why that's hard to figure out?

Remember that year the Astros made it to the World Series? Sure... you do, as an Astros fan. Other fans don't remember, or if they do, don't care... because they didn't win. But people sure do remember that the White Sox got that monkey of their back.

If you want to caveat success as success relative to [fill in the blank]... go for it, and be happy with your playoff teams (if that).

I'll continue to demand championships... thank you very much. I'll be happy for baby steps, but always demand more. Because it still feels bad and sucks when the season ends in defeat, instead of holding that trophy.

I'm not sure on season ending injuries, but this was his 5th season as a starter, and he's played, 11, 11, 16, 16 and now 10 games. He had two full seasons there... but otherwise is missing 30%+ of the season in the other years, which is a huge chunk.

I don't follow NFL salary cap / contract issues that much, so got me there.

I just know that I'd be very concerned going into next year, even if Shcaub is 100% healthy, about (1) whether or not he'll stay that way, and (2) how he'll perform anyway come playoff time - something we'll once again not be able to see. At some point you have to move on. If the Panthers as an example get the #2 pick and there is a real opportunity to trade there to pick up Matt Barkley, I think you'd have to really consider it, no?

2. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

When Schaub went down I went down, I thought we had a real opportunity to come out of the AFC and going to a Super Bowl

After watching Leinart play I did not feel as good.

No one in their right mind would think they could do playoff damage, I don't, but I actually feel better today than I did when Schaub went down.

I believe in this team, I think they are real.

The defense is not going to let us down.
    The offense is not going to let us down.

I believe if Kubiak will get behind TJ Yates and go for it this kid will be a story going down the stretch, not because of his own talent but because this team plays and wins as a team...

so success will look like this-

* expect Jacoby Jones to break at least one more punt return for 6
    * expect 2 more pick 6's
    * expect Cushing to dominate a game
    * A Johnson is going to catch a game winning TD
    * Ben Tate is going to pick us up in one game and close the deal with over 100 rushing
    * Owen Daniels will make several huge catches to keep us in a game
    * the defense is going to crush Cam Newton
    * Arian Foster will be Arian Foster against someone and we will win
    * Our defense ends the season #1
    * TJ Yates will show alot of confidence and overcome some bad throws by making some key third downs
    * The pass rush will be relentless
    * We will beat the Titans

and going in to the playoffs this city will be blowing up as we earn a first round bye and host a winable playoff game!;)

No, I don't drink or toke, but I drink Texan Kool Aid.

3. msn

msn Member

That is your opinion, not fact. I don't know why that's hard to figure out?

Here, let me help you: you use your demand and your paradigm to define the position, while presupposing a different position for another party (but failing to understand the other party's point of view) and asserting the innate and laughable inferiority of that position compared to yours. That, my friend, is all-out, balls-to-the-wall opinion. Not "fact".

4. msn

msn Member

Didn't mean to click "Submit".

The point is that different folks have different definitions for "success". To you, there are 31 failures in the NFL every year and only one success. (That is why I used the words "incredibly narrow".) Bully for you if that's your point of view, and anyone with a brain can certainly see where you're coming from.

But the question is: do you have the intellectual wherewithal to grasp that there are successes beyond just the ultimate success (at least "ultimate" within one season)? Or will you simply put your fingers in your ears and pretend that you're inherently superior to everyone else because you only capable of respecting championships?

And by the way -- defining success in terms of how many people in other cities remember what you did is also opinion, not fact. I would argue that you're confusing notoriety and fame with success. Two different things, in my opinion of course.

5. JayZ750

If you don't win it all, have you won or lost?

Fine, your definition of success might be different than mine.

I don't know for a fact what Kubiak's and the team's definition is, but it's likely that most of them would have said their goal for the season, as a team, was to win the Superbowl. If they don't they won't have achieved their goal. They will have failed.... lost.

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

I really don't understand why the expectations have changed so dramatically for some folks from, say, two days ago.

This isn't the NFL of 15 years ago. Rookies do come in and have success, even at QB, and even if they aren't first rounders. Moreover, the same reasons we came to grips with Leinart having potential - good offensive line, stud running backs, Andre Johnson and Owen Daniels - exist for TJ Yates.

Leinart was everything he was expected to be. Checkdown after checkdown. On 14 pass attempts, he targeted a receiver beyond 10 yards once that I recall - Andre on the play called back for offensive PI. He almost threw a pick six when the nickel back anticipated his quick out to Mason. We knew he would do this, and yet people weren't in a panic.

Yates actually took chances down the field, and didn't come close to a turnover. He got Andre and OD involved. And it all came with ZERO repetitions with the first-team offense. I'll quote Michael Lombardi here:

TJ's floor might be lower than Leinart, but his ceiling is certainly higher. And I'd argue that Leinart's "safe" floor isn't that difficult to attain.

Maybe I'm delusional, but I still feel every bit the same as I did last week - that every single game remaining on the schedule is winnable. I won't be a bit surprised if this group ends up 13-3 or 12-4, and I'm much more concerned with the Baltimore Ravens and New England Patriots than I am the Tennessee Titans. I don't see what's changed.

1 person likes this.
  7. msn

msn Member

Well, so far they've won 8 times and lost 3 times.

And I have a hard time believing any of them would be so simple-minded. They would say that the ultimate goal is a SB win and that is their goal next year. But would they hang their heads and say that they are failures?

I'm not saying you're doing so, Jay, but I've seen folks from the "Championship is success; all else is failure" camp accuse anyone else with any other viewpoint whatsoever of "celebrating mediocrity," or something similar. They say, "well if all you want is a first-round loser then enjoy it." This smacks of small-mindedness and, frankly, a lack of intelligence. It's arrogant, and it's stupid. Everyone knows what the ultimate goal is. To acknowledge smaller milestones and successes is not to give up on the ultimate success.

8. JayZ750

^^ no doubt, but to me, successes ultimately truly is about winning it all or not.

I don't think its bad to celebrate relative successes, but have real problems with the amount of celebration that occurs often, but ESPECIALLY in Houston, when a team does something it's never done before (beat New England to go 9-7, make it to the World Series), when that accomplishment in the grand scheme of things speaks more to the failures of the organizations history than the level of success actually achieved.

9. JayZ750

I agree with your post.... but he had the touchdown pass that was longer than 10 yards. i really felt like that pass was going to be intercepted when he threw it and still feel it was somewhat lucky, but he still did it.

but the checkdowns were painful to watch.

10. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The Cat, I agree with you. With a good defense, anything is possible. It really wouldn't surprise me to see us win out and finish 13-3, to be honest. Only difference would be the scores would be like 9-6 instead of the blowouts of the last 4 Schaub games.

What concerned me the most about the beginning of the post-Schaub era yesterday wasn't Leinart or even Yates play at QB. It was the running game. If this is what the running game is going to look like for the rest of the year (due to issues at QB), that's concerning.

But yeah, my expectations haven't really changed in the last 2 days. I'm still thinking 11-5 and maybe even a playoff win. But WITH Schaub, I would be thinking 13-3 and a Superbowl. :(

11. msn

msn Member

I hear you. Thing is, I don't even have a problem with that. Damn straight we partied when we won the National League Championship. Never done that before. Had we won the NL again the next year, it wouldn't have been near the party. Of course it was such a big deal because the organization had never previously enjoyed that much success. Of course we're not the Cardinals or Yankees or Dodgers.... Yet. :grin:

12. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Playoff appearance.

DD

13. CCorn

CCorn Member

Umm multiple rings of course... I mean we have Brady 2.0 right? ;)

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/swfD5uFSg_E" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Playoffs are a must.
    I don't care about the injuries
    anything less if a complete failure.

I won't call for Kubiak's head
    but . .. .missing the play offs after being 8-3
    is a meltdown.

This is a golden opportunity that the Texans should do everything
    to take advantage of. . . .
    next year . . .we will probably have a harder schedule
    Will we resign everyone else?
    Could have more injuries.
    etc
    etc

When Opportunity knocks. . . go all out to open the fricking door

Rocket River

15. The Cat

From what I saw, I largely agree with Lance Z's analysis this morning. The Jaguars, defensively, are just a tough matchup for the Texans. They didn't have 8 or 9 in the box and consistently run gimmicks based on the QB woes. They just beat the Texans' blockers at the point of attack (also, remember that Vickers was out injured). They're the No. 4 defense in the league for a reason.

The first Jacksonville game (24-14 HOU, with Schaub) was comparably ugly at times. We opened that game strong and finished it well, but there was a lull from late in the first quarter until early in the fourth where the JAX front seven just physically beat our blockers and controlled the line of scrimmage.

It's going to take more than a lethargic win at Jacksonville for me to believe this is a team that needs to win 9-6 type games. I think the offense can and will score points, with Yates. Jacksonville is just a difficult matchup for the Texans up front, for whatever reason, and that was the biggest factor in shutting down our run game.

#35 The Cat, Nov 28, 2011
    Last edited: Nov 28, 2011
  16. The Cat

Fair point - that route was 13 yards downfield and to a tight end. So I'll give him 2 of 14. :)

17. rocketfan83

rocketfan83 Member

If you told me they were going to the playoffs before the season I would have taken it if you would have told me they would have all these injuries and still make the playoffs I wouldnt have bought that...

Making the playoffs= Success

18. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I know one thing I would rather be a Texan fan than a Jaguar fan.;)

19. msn

msn Member

&uparrow;&uparrow; word.

20. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

What is a Jaguar fan?

:confused: