1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    Can former Rocket Eric Gordon and the Suns bounce back against the Timberwolves? Come join Clutch as we're watching NBA playoff action live!

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

So...we should trade with the Knicks

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by awc713, Jun 5, 2015.

1. awc713

awc713 Member

Knicks need a complete roster overhaul and flexibility. We can provide just that. Sell them the idea that a complete roster overhaul is more valuable than the #4 pick, which it may be.

Even with NYK's terrible 2014-15 season, they could feasibly make the playoffs next year (given how atrocious the east is + Melo returning). Plus, all of our expendable trade assets are immediate improvements for them. Phil wants his fingerprints on his roster? Provide him a basket of picks. And, give him controllable young talent that 1) provide cap flexibility and 2) are immediately upgrades over his entire current roster.

HOU receives:
    #4 pick (I think Winslow wwould be PERFECT for our team/system. I think he's destined to be a stud. Ideal player alongside James for the next decade. Plus, he's a hometown kid. Some ROX fans may prefer Russell--understandable. I'm just a big Winslow fan.)
    filler picks/players

NYK receives:
    2016-17 first rounder, 2017-18 second rounder
    Capela, TJones, Papa, Johnson...
    fillers

----

Side-note 1: To my understanding, we would have to move Ariza to land a max player. I'm not sure how likely an Ariza trade is, he seems to be pretty essential to our locker room. But so have thousands of others. Winslow would help alleviate the loss of Ariza, especially if it opens up a LMA-type player.

Side-note 2: Yes, we will all miss Capela. I'm very excited to see him develop. Dude will be a stud, and an essential piece to this deal. Plus, Capela in Madison Square Garden? Deep down...we all know that'd be kind of cool to see.

2. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

That's giving up an awful lot for the #4 pick but that is definitely what it would take for NY to consider it.

3. Crashlanded19

Crashlanded19 Member

The Knicks probably won't be trading all the way back to 18.

4. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

we were 3 wins away from the finals... not worth moving all of our assets for a roll of the dice in the draft.

same thing for the knicks. none of what we give them will have the potential to be a franchise player which is what they need.

5. awc713

awc713 Member

I know. But here's why I consider it:

Papa and Johnson are just roster spots. They are symbols--figments of our imagination. As long as we have Morey and a 2nd rounder to buy, we will always have this echelon of players. Neither got crucial playoff minutes. Neither 'roster spot' will never get crucial playoff minutes.

Jones and Capela, hurts, yes. But we have the flexibility to survive those hits. And, realistically, with a healthy DMO, both Capela/Jones playoff minutes are minimized substantially.

Its clear that, yes, we had an unbelievable season. I am ecstatic with our accomplishments, especially when you look at the season in context. But, it was clear that we were a tier below GSW. There is the GSW tier, then there is the HOU/CLE/SAS/LAC/MEM tier. Add OKC next year too.

With the trade, our roster could be:

Bev/Llull/JET
    Harden/Brewer
    Ariza/Winslow/KJ
    DMO/Smoove/Winslow
    Dwight/DMO

or some variation including a max player

Bev/Llull
    Harden/Brewer
    Winslow/KJ
    LMA or Love/DMO/Smoove
    Dwight/DMO

What is crucial is that we land Winslow (or Russell). Yes, both are huge risks. That's some heavy expectations for an unproven rookie. But Morey has shown that he will take the risk.

If (when) Winslow is a stud, and a controllable one at that. Combined with maybe another max-player? Bye-bye TJones, Capela, + couple replaceable picks

6. HouStu_Rocket

HouStu_Rocket Member

Our window is small with the Dwight and Harden duo. A rookie needs at least a little bit of time to develop into a good NBA basketball player and it takes probably about a year or two for them to start developing consistency.

Also, with the salary cap increase coming, the biggest objective should be to sign as many deserving, max contract esque players to multiple years because it'll just us the ability to sign one or two great players when we are set in at 60 million for the next three years but now have 30 million extra to spend...essentially creating a super team

7. Medicine N Music

Medicine N Music Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

That would not be enough to get to #4 unfortunately.

It would start with D-Mo + TJones + Ariza + 18 + 32 + future picks.

Remember, #4 is a potential superstar, so the price will be super high.

8. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Hmm... a trade idea. A random one. :)

I doubt the Knicks are gonna give up a top pick for a grab bag of lower picks and minor assets. If they are giving up a top pick, it would be for the best established star player that they can find-- a "win now" bet on Melo + other star being good enough to compete.

9. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Rockets DONT want to play rookies. Can we stop thinking someone out of college is going to come in and immediately play a significant role? Not happening, unless its Llull.

10. HakeemOnlyFan

HakeemOnlyFan Member

Exactly. No way in hell NYK moves the #4 pick they spent all season tanking to get, for the package suggested by the OP. The city would lose its mind.

For Phil to even consider it, I'm thinking D'mo and Capela at the very least would have to be included. And I don't think any of us would be on board for that proposal.

11. iJHolmes

iJHolmes Member

most realistic post here.

morey has made it clear we are not trying to develop players. we are trying to win it all, right now.

12. basketballholic

True. But some players undeveloped are better than some of the developed players on the roster. Have to reconize that.

While I can't see moving up to #4, I can see the possibility of moving up to #7 or #8 and grabbing Hezonja.

13. roslolian

roslolian Member

How many of these rookies hit the ground running? Most take 3-4 years to become good players, check out Harden's stats his first 3 years in the league. Trading everybody means you go from contender to lucky to make the playoffs. By the rookie is ready to contribute Dwight will be done.

Also if you're the Knicks why will you trade a top 4 pick for a bunch of sparewheels? Capela, Tjones, Dmo etc none of these guys have superstar potential so why would you trade your pick for them? Just to make the playoffs? Other teams arent stupid, they wont trade a top 5 pick just to make the playoffs and then get stomped on.

14. RudyT43

RudyT43 Member

Though this may be the most feasible big draft day trade we could make, I don't see it haooening. Besides DMO, I don't see a combination of players a draft picks satiating the needs of the knickd. Needless to say, we have swindled the sorrier franchises like the Knicks and kings, but I can't see them passing on a Russell or Mudiay

15. OpenLayup-Why3?

No deal unless we get Bargnani.

16. OpenLayup-Why3?

Bargnani and Smith of a bench, 5 years ago no one would imagined this possible, but here we are now. To heck with it, lets throw in our entire starting 5 for Melo too. Let's switch teams entirely, minus JSmoove

17. malakas

malakas Member

Firstly theres not enough value for the fourth pick. Maybe if it was 2013 daft. This offer can get you around 7-8 at best. Secondly doesnt make any sense for the other teams. You dont send back ready to contribute young players except maybe jones. The second 2017 and the first 2016 are worth almost nothing. Neither does papa and johnson.
    so the trade basically is a mid first a early second a third year pf that is about to get paid and a raw rookie who is a mystery really because he has played too few minutes. There are too many teams that can beat this offer in their sleep. Celtics send 2015 #16 + 2017 brooklyn first. And its over.

Lastly the Rockets are better off picking a player later in the draft like oubre or hunter and mold him into a 3+D wing themselves and keep all their assets.

18. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

the value of a high draft pick to a contending team is nowhere near as high as it is to a bad team, the chances of the two meeting is incredibly small.

#18 Aleron, Jun 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jun 6, 2015
  19. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

We develop our picks and pick up role players... that's our system. Rinse and repeat untill you get to the championship. It started a long time ago... when Morey took the ship.

20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Jsut not going to happen.

It's completely different values here. A rebuilding team sees a top 5 pick as gold, the only way they are trading back is if they staying in the 5-10 range AND getting back an all-star caliber player. Last time I can think of such a trade happening is the Pelicans trading for Jrue...but this is a team (NOH) that has been trying to make moves into being a contender and probably understand that winning now means keeping Davis there instead of fiddling around with rookies hoping to team him up with another top 5 pick like KD-Westbrook.

Any ways, we won't value the pick high enough because to get it would mean to ruin our depth. I could see such a thing happening though if there was a surefire superstar right there to be had...then again those guys go #1 and if it was so obvious then the drafting team is not going to trade that any ways.