1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So we are gonna ignore the riot thats happening in Baltimore

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Miracles Boys33, Apr 27, 2015.

1. mick fry

mick fry Member

Oh and it gets even better, its the whites who f up the economy.:rolleyes:

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I think there is something de facto racist about how and when dehumanizing language like that is used. But, I also think dehumanization is as damaging and dangerous as racism on its own merits and doesn't have to be racist to be bad anyway. I wish our leadership and mainstream society would recognize that and think more critically and soberly before throwing around words like 'animal' and 'thug.' You may as well call them *******. They've decoded the message anyway.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

So you really don't know what you're talking about then. Mkay.

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

What's racist is the implied thought of the self-appointed political correctness police that only people of one particular skin color could be meant by that statement.

5. mick fry

mick fry Member

Im as clueless as you, there ya go.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

They've wrongly decoded the message then. The message is to stop acting like animals if you don't want to be called an animal. AGAIN, it's not based on anyone's race, it's their actions. You can have an ignorant mob of ANY race and people would correctly say that they were acting like animals if they were out looting and vandalizing.

There is no excuse for that type of savage behavior among civilized humans.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

On my Facebook news feed, some of my more conservative veteran friends labeled Baltimore during the riot as a 'Nig*er Zoo'. Received many likes unfortunately. Does that have racial connotations?

8. Remii

Remii Member

Yea, I see you guys using the term animals to describe all kinds of different people :rolleyes:

So says the guy who admitted that "situations are being created by others" to make it harder for certain groups of people but doesn't want anything done about it. Great job by proving your mind isn't clouded with racism Bobby.

9. ApolloRLB

ApolloRLB Member

It's not a comparison of regimes, it's the feeling of repression by the populace.

Everything is relative. Poverty/violence in the U.S. vs poverty/violence in Nigeria are two entirely different things, but the poor in the U.S. have no exposure to worse situations so they can only compare to what they see everyday and feel repressed.

10. CometsWin

It's plainly evident that "thug" is basically the new N word in America. It's used almost exclusively in reference to blacks these days, even in these threads.

11. JuanValdez

12. mick fry

mick fry Member

Plainly evident? Cmon now! Do you have facts to back that up or are you just blowin smoke outta you rearend?

13. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

It seems you failed to understand what I was talking about there as well. By "situations created by others" I'm talking about having bad parents, potentially growing up around drugs, violence, and poverty. I've got friends who had to deal with all sorts of awful conditions growing up, conditions created by others around them. That's still no excuse for their personal failure though.

I'm talking about crackhead moms and deadbeat dads, I'm talking about growing up with extreme poverty. Those are things that are outside the control of the kid growing up. Now they can either use those hardships as an excuse and become part of the problem for the next generation, or they can rise above it. In the end, it's up to them.

14. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

I heard that this morning when I was driving in to work. Yeah, it is a good listen (or read, since this is a transcript). It really illustrates that people aren't just angry about an isolated incident, but rather, just like in Ferguson, there is systematic abusive and racist policies on the part of the police and city.

More and more, people are starting to see these issues are not unique to one city or area, but are something that a large amount of Americans living in poverty are having to deal with.

15. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

People living in poverty are more likely to abuse alcohol and/or drugs, are more likely to break the law, more likely to get in violent confrontations.....of course those are going to be the people that have the most interactions both positive and negative with police. Also, police are people from the area as well for the most part. If you have a city with scummy people like Baltimore, you get scummy cops. I said it earlier, you don't get sweet fruit from a bitter tree.

16. JuanValdez

'Savage.' That's another one. As I said before, it doesn't even matter if its racist. It's just another way to completely shut down dialogue and understanding between people. They can see that, in your mind, they aren't a party to be negotiated with but an object to be managed. If you can't give them the basic respect of acknowledging their humanity, why should they pay you any respect in turn, defending your life, property, or civic society? This animal BS is just as counterproductive as burning a store. Of course, you'll now respond to say that's ridiculous, but I don't think it is and I mean it very literally. I think what you are doing is as bad as any rioter. The only difference is that rioters will stop rioting after a few days while you'll stubbornly persist for years.

17. CometsWin

I would ask you to talk to one of your black friends about it but we know that's going to be a problem, don't we mick? :grin:

After Baltimore riots, some leaders slam 'thug' as the new n-word

Larry Wilmore Calls Out Cable News for Turning ‘Thug’ into New N-Word

Richard Sherman Is Right: Thug Is the New N-World

Let’s Not Make Thug the New N Word

Bill Maher Agrees 'thug' is the new 'N-word'

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/JLwliPIN3vg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. HamJam

HamJam Contributing Member

You should take a look at the link Juanvaldez posted. It points out what a small percentage of the police force are actually from the area. The same was the case for Ferguson too -- so, you are just outright incorrect on that.

As far as the poor deserving the increased scrutiny they get, that is not statistically correct either according to the DOJ report on Ferguson or the statistics on Stop and Frisk stops in NY.

19. Remii

Remii Member

Yea, and Black folks use their airports in the hood to fly in dope on CIA contracted airplanes so this country can generate jobs and money off the destruction of a race and from the tax payers pockets. Win Win situation.

20. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

You know a great way to shut down dialogue and understanding between people? Rioting, looting, and vandalism. Once that starts by ANY group, they've shown themselves unworthy of being negotiated with, rather one that needs to be managed like children or livestock.

Now if they were showing a basic level of respect for their fellow man, and they acknowledged their own humanity by acting accordingly, things would be different.

It's basically using a form of terrorism thinking that it will lead to political change, once you go down that path, you've killed any legitimacy you once might have had and your opinion and cause are rendered invalid.