1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So no 3rd star in a tough West...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Jul 3, 2017.

1. CXbby

CXbby Member

Millsap is a tier above Gallo, way better player.

The improvement in Jokic from 2nd year to 3rd year(he's 21) alone will add close to 5 wins.

2. YOLO

YOLO Member

depends on what you're looking for bw millsap and gallo. they're two completely diff players. if you're looking for someone who plays around the basket PM is the choice but if you need a shooter, someone who can space the floor and is a bit more versatile Gallo is the choice.

millsap is a good player but he isn't someone that can take over a game on a nightly basis.

3. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

Jokic will be a superstar one day so I definitely get the allure, but the thing is that is where it ends for them outside of Millsap who is quickly aging. That's the part of Millsap's signing that I don't understand. Nuggets are NOT a "Win now" team. At this point in his career, unless he just wants more money, Nuggets was not a great team for him to join.

4. CXbby

CXbby Member

You don't have to be able to take over a game in order to help winning. Millsap is a way, way better player than Gallo in the "help winning" department.

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

you do if you're being signed as that caliber type of player. denver still doesn't have a go to player or it's still yet to be determined who it will be

you just paid $30 mil per year for a player and he doesn't need to be able to take over a game? yeah that's a pretty dumb investment then id say

6. 1Deep

1Deep Member

I apologize for breaking the rules or not having an opinion that you feel is worthy of clutchfans. I was simply trying to discuss where we stand in the West after the recent free agency movement. I just really think it's juvenile to resort to calling people "dumb" and "stupid" simply because they may see things differently than you do. Before you insult people behind a keyboard ask yourself if you would be so bold if they were in front of you.

For the record I sincerely hope we do acquire a 3rd star, but if we don't I have no doubt we will still be a tough out for any team.

7. CXbby

CXbby Member

I believe Millsap has chosen money every chance he's had in his FAs. There was some noise about a sign and trade with him the summer we got Dwight. He ended up signing with ATL for more money I believe.

As for Denver, Millsap's age might not fit, but as a player he fits well. Problem is Denver might not be "win now", but they certainly can't tank either - they already won 41 last year and will only improve going forward. So if they can't tank, might as well try to improve further with a guy like Millsap.

8. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I promise you I don't typically lash out unless it's absurd.

I promise you I'm much more comfortable with confrontation than you would imagine.

None the less, having a discussion about where we stand is fine and I reiterated that but it's premature to claim no 3rd star

9. CXbby

CXbby Member

"Taking over a game" is certainly not the criteria for getting paid. A guy like Gobert is not going to take over a game, but will get the supermax when he goes to FA. There are other ways to impact winning than taking over. Millsap helps with defense, passing, scoring. He basically has no weaknesses and helps your team in all facets. He may not be a "go to guy" like Melo, but if you swap him on the Knicks, they would win more. (and I want Melo on the Rockets)

10. YOLO

YOLO Member

and investing in guys like that is a perfect example of why you don't win.

I'm not denying Millsap is a good player bc he is but he's not this huge deal that some people seem to think denver is a 50+ win team now just bc of him. they still need much better guards or guard play to be in that conversation

11. Rokman

Rokman Member

We just added Chris Paul to this team. We didn't move laterally there. We took a big leap UP. Then we added Tucker who is no slouch on either side of the court. I don't think any team in the west looks at our team and says, "We got this one." They are probably marking that game on the calendar with an L, and that includes Minnesota and OKC. It would be like having 2 Steve Nash's on the old Phoenix teams. If Nash doesn't kill you, Nash will. For us they're saying if Harden doesn't kill you Paul will. Either of those are as good as, and many if not most would argue, better than Nash.

12. SkareKrow

SkareKrow Member

Oooh PJ Tucker and a SHOT at Melo. Watch out GSW.

justtxyank likes this.
  13. Nimo

Nimo Member

MDA's rotation last year was pretty much: Bev, Harden, Ariza, Anderson, Capela, Gordon, Lou, Nene, Dekker, Harrell

Right now:
    Paul > Beverley
    Harden = Harden
    Ariza = Ariza
    Anderson = Anderson
    Capela = Capela
    Gordon = Gordon
    Tucker = Lou (different skill set but same impact)
    Nene = Nene
    Dekker
    Harrell

So people are complaining about the 9th and 10th on the rotation? Aside from Dekker, and Harell; the delta between Paul and Beverley makes the team much better than last year. 17/18 is definitely looking up for the Rockets regardless of who they replace Dekker and Harrell with. If you can't see that then let me know so I can put you on my ignore list. If your complaint is that they are not as good as the warriors; are they at least closer to the warriors than they were last year? The answer is a resounding yes. Plus, they obviously are not done yet.

The question this team has is beyond 17/18. Will Paul re-sign? Will they regret all the draft picks they've lost? Will Dekker continue to improve? They made the gamble with Jeremy Lamb and 2 1st round picks. It's worked out in the Rocket's favor so far. This is looking like it will too.

14. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

we don't need any more point guards, we need a solid screener and midrange jumper, when CP is still playing with David West in New Orleans, West is deadly in those pick and pop midranger jumpers, we need that kind of player, maybe can we get Paul Gasol? otherwise, Nene or Capela has to develop some midrange game to be useful

15. 1Deep

1Deep Member

I think Marreese Speights could be good in that role..

16. s3ts

s3ts Member

well, it's agreeable that we're likely not going to win a chip next season unless we can land a 3rd star. and the possibility of losing CP3 after this season is tied to Morey's success in the free agency frenzy which seems to be winding down.

but i do agree, not a single person wouldn't do the trade to get CP3, and it's a great deal that lets us get into the conversation for other star players. i just think it's a bit disappointing that even after Harden and CP3, we're unable to lock down a 3rd star.

indeed, nothing is over until it's over. i hope we do find a way to complete a big-3 before the season starts.

17. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

As always, luck and chemistry can play a major part. Among them, how we do will depend on CP3's health and JH playing his old role, but is willing to move. I'm already assuming that CP3 will be the dominate on ball player to start, to end and in critical possessions.

18. 1Deep

1Deep Member

Ok..OKC just pulled ahead of us in this arms race..4th best in the West?

19. hakeemthagreat

I think we're going to be #2 best record in the NBA. Having 3 stars is good, but so is 2 assist driven superstar guards in ASSIST DRIVEN system. Ppl forget how good MDA is. Not to mention how good we got defensively. Eric Gordon is a borderline star. Ya'll are sleeping

20. deb4rockets

deb4rockets Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm just baffled that we couldn't get a better forward on this team to take us up a level, yet traded off a bunch of young prospects, and only got one star in CP3, who we will be lucky to have healthy for a full season.