1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So no 3rd star in a tough West...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Jul 3, 2017.

1. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

I swear the intelligence around here is diminishing.

"The t'pups who weren't a playoff team added Butler! Are they better than us? We only added cp3.

The nuggets who weren't a playoff team added Millsap! Are they better than us? We only added cp3.

Okc was the 6th seed and added George! Also, they landed PPAT! Are they better than us? We only added cp3 and Tucker.

The rockets were the #3 seed and while they upgraded from Beverley to cp3 and added Tucker and pretty much kept the entire team together it's clear we didn't add Butler, millsap or George so we are behind now!

Now way does adding cp3 make us better than other teams adding players who aren't as good as cp3!"

-ClutchFans

Thread starting privileges need to be earned from now on imo.

2. FLASH21

FLASH21 Heart O' Champs

He left out Eric Gordon... It's Happening?????

[​IMG]

3. YOLO

YOLO Member

as soon as the rockets got cp3 it seems that way and more dumb threads keep popping up.

4. Mr. Dominant

Mr. Dominant Contributing Member

So what now, another 5+ years before we land a 3rd star?

[​IMG]

5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Nah, I crown Eric Gordon as a bright star. Shooting Star!

6. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

No less than 75% of people on Clutchfans have an addiction to being miserable. Constantly looking for the worst possible scenario and for the sky to be falling.

#66 J Sizzle, Jul 5, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 5, 2017
    Mr Chuck Norris and BigMaloe like this.
  7. 1Deep

1Deep Member

So if you ask where we stand now that pretty much every good team in the West got better I shouldn't be allowed to start threads? I swear I love this site but you fake clutchfan cops take a lot of the fun away from having discussions about what I believe to be our favorite team..smh

8. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think TWolves are going to be really good after this year, not sure about this year though they are still too young and inconsistent

9. YOLO

YOLO Member

you started a thread on the 2nd day of FA and basically summarized the entire offseason as if its over. And you don't think that's dumb. it's pretty clear actually

BigMaloe, hongxingli and Russjr2 like this.
  10. Reeko

Reeko Member

We got better too. We added CP3. People are acting like we replaced Bev with George Hill or something...

Do u actually think that teams like the Wolves or Nuggets will surpass us?

also, free agency just started...

Melo is still very much in play for us.

11. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

How young are they really? Wiggins and Towns are young, but the rest of the starters will be established veterans in Taj, Teague and Butler. I'm not a big Teague fan, but if he's the weakest part of your starting five that's pretty impressive. The Wolves are loaded.

YOLO likes this.
  12. Aleron

Aleron Contributing Member

sign bosh, let him play only home games

Pen15clubber likes this.
  13. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

1) Rockets were trending in the wrong direction as the season ended
    2) Thunder and Nuggets were actually getting better
    3) TWolves had a silly unsustainable issue with blowing 4th quarter leads.

Rockets were better than all of those teams for sure.

This season we have upgraded for sure.

They have also upgraded and have upgraded more significantly. They had farther to go of course.

However, after the Warriors I think the West will basically be a blood bath. I predict this will be very similar to our WCF year a few years back where seeds 2-5 are separated by only 1-3 games or something.

The Wolves and Nuggets are going to be LOADS to deal with this year as will the Thunder. I could easily see the Rockets basically stay at the same win total and those teams step up.

14. BigMaloe

What's the point of your thread?

To discuss what other teams have done? Goto the dish. It's 4 days into free agency and your already claiming no 3rd star.

You know nothing of what is to come. You have no clue if we acquire melo or not for instance.
    You have no clue if Capela becomes Deandre Jordan and thus the 3rd star.

Your crying in early July because other teams improved their roster ALSO.

Is George, Butler, or millsap better than cp3? No... And that should be painfully obvious.

So every team that improved where worse than us and project as being worse again. They added less talent than we did and makes them further then closer.

15. 1Deep

1Deep Member

In no way am I disappointed in the moves we've made or think that we got any worse but I do believe the West will be hella tough this year. I know we were the 3rd seed last year but it's stupid to act like we were so far ahead of the wolves, thunder, or nuggets that we shouldn't be concerned that they may now be on our level or better. Those teams made significant moves that can't be ignored.

16. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

A few things...

1) Rockets weren't trending down as the season ended. They just weren't the unbelievably dominant team from December/Early January. They were merely a great team. Dealt with some injuries/fatigue down the stretch, but still ran through OKC in 5 games, then gave the 60 win Spurs all they could handle, and very well could have beat them.

2) Thunder weren't really "getting better". They had like 6 game winners from Westbrook against lottery teams down the stretch. Inflated record, then got beat in 5 games against us. Paul George obviously is a substantial upgrade, and I think they're going to be a Top 4 seed, but I don't think they closed the gap or anything. The Nuggets will be good, but Paul Millsap isn't drastically moving the needle. They'll be a firm playoff team, though in the bottom 4 seeds.

3) Wolves did have issues with 4th quarter leads, no doubt, but they still won 31 games. They weren't on the cusp or anything like that. Obviously they're improved with Butler/Teague/Gibson and will make playoffs, but they're not threatening the top teams this year, especially with their bench and their spacing/shooting. I'd be surprised if they hit anything above 50 wins.

4) Your prediction is likely accurate, as it's much easier to go from 30-40 wins to ~50 wins than it is to go from 55 wins to ~60 wins. Their upgrades likely matter more for the regular season grind. Ours are almost purely playoff-needed upgrades.

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

Is adding CP3 not a significant move as well that can't be ignored? CP3 is a top 10 player.

You're acting like we made no moves and stayed the same as a team while all these other teams made improvements.

justtxyank likes this.
  18. Russjr2

Russjr2 Contributing Member

It's way too early to pass judgement on how we will do in a tougher west. Hasn't even been a week of FA yet and here come the threads about what moves we didn't make. This happens EVERY year. Someone jumps the gun to complain how "we should have offered this and that for this player that the other team got on the cheap and how we missed out on him." We got a legit top player in the league that makes those around him better. We now have two of the top playmakers in the league on the floor together. That helps guys like Ariza, Ryno, Clint be more productive cause we wont be asking them to do too much this year (just make a good percentage of your wide open shots please).

As the big names get deals all of those mid level guys have to start taking whatever deals they can get. This is where us being a legit contender, with a good offense, will allow us to get those type guys on good deals cause they want a chance to win and put up good numbers. It's not like CP and Harden are selfish players. We didn't come into the summer with a ton of cap space so stop expecting us to bid on everybody out there. We have to be calculated with our moves. Patience people, we got off to a great start this summer.

YOLO likes this.
  19. IflyHsueh

IflyHsueh Member

The beared and cp3 are top 10 players in the league already. Let's have a look what will happen in the new season, and then decide what we really need.

20. BigMaloe

You should name your thread "how difficult will the west be this year?" but instead you said "no 3rd star" the 2nd day of free agency?

Do you not see the lunacy in that?

If you want a discussion for how all the talent in the league appears to be out west I agree and we can debate how the standings show out.

But at no point am I to believe the rockets aren't at worse, the 3rd seed next year and likely the 2nd seed in the entire league.

FLASH21 likes this.