1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So no 3rd star in a tough West...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by 1Deep, Jul 3, 2017.

1. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

You are a waste of cap space, fam!

2. rocketsballin

rocketsballin Member

our 3rd star is ryan anderson. put the ball in his hands and tell him to avg 20ppg or he's headed to phx or atl

3. KlutchQT

KlutchQT Contributing Member

The most likely 3rd guy is and always was Melo, and I don't really see a reason to be desperate for him on July 3. Free agency is moving way more slowly than it did last summer and there are still a ton of names on the board. It's entirely possible you have a better market for Ryan's contract once the Hayward domino falls, fewer guys are available and teams with space realize they've largely struck out. It's entirely possible that things between Melo and management in NY further devolve during the season and they buy him out after all, or become willing to accept a trade package they might refuse today. If I'm the Rockets, I'm not jumping to trade EG/Ariza or attach a bunch of picks to Ryan's contract just to get a deal done today -- for what? Because people on Clutchfans want it done NOW NOW NOW like free agency isn't less than 72 hours old?

Maybe it happens and maybe it doesn't -- but I can't really find a reason to act hastily, other than fan impatience (which is really no reason at all).

4. Robert Kogut

Robert Kogut Member

You are absolutely right but also... team needs time to play together. Trade in April, 2018 is too late.

5. Rockets Rule

Rockets Rule Contributing Member

keep hope alive......

it aint over until the fat lady sings!!

Tfor3 likes this.
  6. Lightsnowaction

I just hope we add another 3/4 on the roster to dearly reduce Ariza's workload and minutes and Gordon's. These guys don't need to be tried come playoff time like last year.

7. kingjosh

kingjosh Member

Watch the last playoffs again. Ego was great scorer and a highly versatile defender. Ego is just as good a klay thompson offensively and comparable defensively, and alongside ariza + tucker, puts our guard/wings right up alongside gsw. If capela can take the leap to playing 32 mpg, we have ourselves a 60+ win team and a legitimate threat to the warriors. You really can't ask for more than that.

hongxingli likes this.
  8. KlutchQT

Also consider this re: timeline --

As The Post first reported last week, the Knicks told the Rockets they are on hold with an Anthony deal until a new president is found. However, that may take weeks. General manager Steve Mills is currently the acting president and is being considered for the full-time position.

http://nypost.com/2017/07/03/is-mel...witter&utm_medium=SocialFlow&sr_share=twitter

9. aroundtheblock2

Good thing the Rockets aren't paying me.

10. aroundtheblock2

I think Gordon is more versatile than Klay Thompson, but he's definitely not as potent a scorer when it comes down to it. Klay Thompson scored 61 points in 29 MINUTES!!!! Klay Thompson can score in bunches really quickly and I just don't see Gordon quite at his level. There's other evidence besides that single game btw to support this.

11. 1Deep

1Deep Member

I agree we as fans can be impatient. I just think a team that goes into camp together has a far better chance to compete for a title than one that adds a significant piece at the trade deadline.

Tfor3 likes this.
  12. LikeMike

LikeMike Contributing Member

Well, we don't really have much ammunition to get that 3d star. We basically have Capela as a good asset, EGo as an ok asset, perhaps some overseas guys (mainly Lull, though it doesn't look like he is coming over) and a 2020 first round pick.

If we trade away Capela we don't have a starting center. That's a problem. Plus he plays on a real team friendly contract and his value will only go up. If we trade EGo we don't have any scoring off the bench - plus I don't think he is that coveted. Overseas guys are worth peanuts and our pick is way out.

So getting that 3d star was never really realistic. So what can Morey do? Call the Knicks bluff and hope, that Melo chooses us over the Cavs after he is bought out. Or wait for some other fortunate situation to arrive and cash in on the flexibility he got with those unguaranteed contracts.

Morey isn't panicking - he is playing it smart. And probably, that's the only way to do it now (With Anderson being a negative value). Sucks a bit, because after the CP3 this really kinda kills the excitement. But we will be glad, when this one fortunate situation arrives and we still have this flexibility.

So who do we have? Let's take a look at our lineup:

CP3 / EGo
    Harden / EGo
    Ariza / Tucker
    Anderson / Tucker
    Capela / Nene

We can't afford to lose more depth - but as a playoff 8-men rotation roster, this doesn't look too bad. Not good enough to go toe to toe with the Warriors - but no team is. It is good enough, to go toe to toe with every other team though.

Robert Kogut, ilias and 1Deep like this.
  13. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Humble and sexy? Get over here

14. KlutchQT

I agree, of course. If today was November 1, I could understand getting antsy. It's been 3 days.

15. c1utchfan925

c1utchfan925 Contributing Member

Yeah, not really worried about OKC atm. Russ still needs to buy into playing like a team player again while PG13 needs to be convinced to stay. Minny looks pretty stacked on paper though to be honest, but a lot of things have to go right in order for them to be dominant. At least in the Western Conference, if they were in the Eastern Conference.. it'd be an easy top 3-4 finish.

16. jman255

jman255 Member

Considering the Rockets were 3rd in the West last year, most of the core has had a full year to gel, and they upgraded a crucial position, they should be better. It could potentially not show in the win column because winning 55 games last year was an utter shock to the entire league, but they should be able to take SAS.

TWolves will have to win 25 games more than last year to catch the Rox (not gonna happen), OKC is still garbage...PG13 is more overrated than Melo. And the Nuggies? Do they even have a point guard?

My prediction is Rockets 58 wins, 2nd seed. Go 2-2 vs GSW and come ahead 3-1 vs SAS. As for the Warriors in the playoffs...imma stay mum.

17. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

Imagine this board right now if we didn't get CP3.

Hakeemtheking and HakeemOnlyFan like this.
  18. 1Deep

1Deep Member

Did anyone else think that playing alongside two of the best playmakers in the NBA would be a little more attractive to other players? I'm surprised we were down to Carmelo or bust so fast.

19. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

http://www.espn.com/nba/story/_/id/...rankings-warriors-cavaliers-timberwolves-more

20. Fyreball

Fyreball Contributing Member

WTF is with these premature ejac...errrrr, posters?!? It's ****ing JULY! If I remember correctly, we didn't get T-Mac until like August.....we didn't get Harden until the day before the season started! The off-season isn't even CLOSE to being done yet.....have some patience!