1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So my son crashed a golf cart...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by firecat, Nov 9, 2010.

Tags:
  1. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Yeah, the maturity level isn't there probably because their parents are babying them throughout their teenage years and not holding them responsible and accountable for their actions. :rolleyes:

2. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

$1800? What, did he LAND the golf cart on their car or something? Seriously, how does a golf cart wreck a car?

3. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Seriously, what did the kid do, hit the gas instead of the brake? Failed to depress the parking brake? What the heck was going on???

4. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If the kid would have been hurt, the church would be totally open for liability. I think the same logic applies with property.

The church put a minor on a golf cart and he wrecked it.

5. firecat

firecat Contributing Member

He was trying to make a u-turn and miscalculated the turning radius.

6. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Yep.....

7. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Man I've seen crazier things happen then this.

The kid is at fault for wrecking the cart. He should be punish for his actions and unfortunately the parents are the ones that pay for this. But whomever let him drive is responsible as well.

Either way, everyone pays for it in a way. Hurt feelings and stuff.

8. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

it will take a 14 year old a long long time to actually earn 1800 bucks.

9. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Was it a Mercedes he crashed. That's a big hit!

I think you have to be prepared to pay it. My original thought was it was all on firecat. And I still think 14 is old enough that he shouldn't have to be coddled by the supervisors and old enough to be responsible for what he does. But if I look at it from the Church's point of view -- would I expect a kid in my care to foot the bill if he wasn't being reckless, or purposely going against the rules? Probably not.

So I come down to the church *should* pay, firecat should contribute...but if the church doesn't see it that way -- firecat should be prepared to pay the full amount....

10. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Call it for what it is... Times have changed....

Some kids don't have the maturity level as others. Regardless of how strict a parent is on their kid.

When I was 13, I actually broke a window from my neighbor's house. Not only did I had to pay for it but I got nice spankin for it. My peeps were pissed off that I didn't go to the park to play baseball.

#50 CheezeyBoy22, Nov 9, 2010
    Last edited: Nov 9, 2010
  11. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

The lesson here is to not bend over and take the blame when someone else screws up. The kid screwed up and should take some responsibility. It would, in fact, be a privilege to do so since taking no responsibility implies he's still a child. But the church has a responsibility too and if they let firecat pick up the tab, they're shirking. And firecat would be letting them take advantage. Taking responsibility is a good lesson to learn. Standing up for yourself is also worthwhile.

1 person likes this.
  12. RocketsPimp

Times have changed because people have dumbed their kids down and taught them that they can get away with things because it's on someone else's property, someone gave them permission to do something which caused damage/injury, etc.

Where do we draw the line?

Say your kid gets injured or damages property playing Wii at my house, but you did not know he was going to play Wii. Are you going to hold me accountable??

If something is illegal for a kid to do and an adult (that is not the parent) let's the kid do it, then yes I believe that adult should be held accountable. In this case I think it's a gray area in which the church probably could accept partial accountability, but the parents/kid deserve the majority if not all of it.

13. RocketsPimp

You're assuming it was someone directly associated with the church that let his kid use the golf cart. If it were another parent you'll have a hard time pinning liability on either party. But what do I know....I'm not a lawyer.

That said, I do think the church should (and likely will) accept some responsibility. My arguments are mainly directed at the suggestions that the OP/kid direct liability elsewhere.

14. wreck

wreck Contributing Member

looks like whoever gave them access to the carts are liable.

15. firecat

firecat Contributing Member

If I have kids over playing Wii at my house and your kid accidentally throws the Wii remote at your $2000 TV and it breaks, I am not going to come to you and ask for you to pay for my TV because your kid accidentally broke it.

16. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

I think the church should just take up a collection.

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Horrible analogy.

1. You're meant to swing the remote at the television in some cases
    2. It's meant for kids

Would you ask the parents to pay for the tv if the kid drove your golf cart into it?

18. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Well that's how car accidents happen as well. As long as it was an accident... etc.

19. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

If I knew, or should have known that his son was driving my golf cart in the living room, and the kid wasn't being particularly reckless -- then, no...I wouldn't expect the parents to pay.

20. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

That is a lot of damage for a golf cart. Legally speaking it is probably on the golf carts owners. Morally speaking it is split between your son and the golf cart owners.