1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So my son crashed a golf cart...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by firecat, Nov 9, 2010.

Tags:
  1. CheezeyBoy22

CheezeyBoy22 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Something doesn't sound right about suing the homeowner's insurance.

2. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

accountability.

Pay up and have your son pay you back the money back to you. There are plenty of things he can do to earn some scratch.

3. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I feel like maybe some people aren't understanding the OP. The owner of the car should be compensated $1,800. How much should come from the OP and how much from the church?

The church definitely carries some responsibility because they had rules around golf cart usage and didn't follow them. I also get the impression that OP was not there with his son, but that the church took responsibility for him with parents away. Legally, I'm guessing the church should be on the hook for not enforcing their rules.

I'd start by putting it in the church's lap. But morally, since it is your church and it was your son who screwed up, I think you should be willing to share the burden with the church. Also, consider that if the church bears the whole responsibility, the likely reaction will be overzealous enforcement of rules in the future. On the flipside, to pay the whole thing yourself and absolve the church of their responsibility would be magnanimous.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

So if the car owner's insurance premiums rise because they filed a claim, who should cover that?

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

As far as lessons go, what does it say when you don't hold the church accountable for their liability?

6. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I agree, and would add that it is a heck of a lot of money.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!
    Supporting Member

Kind of what I was thinking, mabye a 50/50 split with whomever let a 14 year old drive a golf cart unsupervised.

DD

8. firecat

firecat Contributing Member

We were not there. It was a kind of retreat for the night so he was being supervised by the the adults at the camp.

We are checking to see if the church has insurance to cover and we'll make a donation to the church for half of the cost of the repair if they can cover.

9. RocketsPimp

RocketsPimp Contributing Member

Someone dropped the ball alright. His kid. The parents should pay up and make the kid accept the responsibility for his actions and pay them back. Give him a job and make him earn it. If the church is also held liable (although I don't really think they should be), then the kid should work it off there.

Seriously, it is this passing the buck of accountability that is wrong with people these days. Whatever happened to being responsible for your own actions?

10. RocketsPimp

That's not a lesson, that's a legal issue. The lesson there only teaches the kid that he can screw up (even if it was an accident) and look to pass as much of the damages off on another party.

11. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Interesting how some people would pay it and how others would try to put it on someone else. Seriously, make the Church pay half? :confused:

It's a effing Church!

12. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Yeah, his kid is responsible for the crash and they should put some money into it. There are other folks that are at fault as well. His son shouldn't be driving a goft cart period. He's 14! Most places won't even rent out a golf cart unless you have a drivers license.

Accountability should be placed on the child and whoever let him drive as well. It's not passing the buck.

13. cheeno

cheeno Contributing Member

Some insurance covers uninsured motors and they let you get away with once per year if you have a good record. Check the policy, I was in an accident once and the other guy had no insurance I claimed it in my uninsured motors and my premiums never went up cause it wasn't my fault. Just like the it wasn't the car owners fault his car was damaged.

14. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

Churches have money...

15. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

It is just like driving a go kart.

If you're son cannot drive a golf cart at 14, please do not let him get his license at 16.

Also, I like the breaking windows analogy.

If your son is playing outside and accidently, with no intention hits a baseball through my window, you should pay up. Even if someone else's parents were supposed to be watching him.

It is always your responsibility to clean up your son's mess always. Then, you take it out on his hide.

16. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Sure, but legit churches aren't in the business of making money. I don't know how you would feel if it was your donation being used to fix this car.

17. CheezeyBoy22

Supporting Member

I don't think kids should be able to get their license at 16. They should wait till their 18 to get them. The maturity level isn't there for kids nowadays.

18. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

How were you supposed to know your son was Albert Pujols?

19. Miguel

Miguel Contributing Member

Even though I got my license at 16, I agree. I knew way too many people who couldn't drive at that age. I can only imagine it is worse now.

20. RocketsPimp

I'll agree that the kid probably shouldn't have been driving a golf cart, but it's a fricking golf cart!!

And yes it is passing the buck. Otherwise the adults should have just told his kid to sit in the corner and don't touch anything because if his kid screws up on adults watch, then his dad might try and hold someone else accountable.

I'm not saying the church shouldn't step up and accept some accountability. My comments are directed toward any insinuation that someone other than the kid dropped the ball and that the church should be taught a lesson by looking at liability.