1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So my boss is having an affair

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The_Yoyo, May 19, 2009.

Tags:
  1. dandorotik

dandorotik Contributing Member

Apology accepted.

You should really give the show a second chance. It's not that hard. You could really get into it. There's so much subtle humor, it'll make your head explode. It's very deep. Once you watch it, you'll want to do it over and over again. Once the season's over, you'll be begging for more.

(That's what she said x6).

2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

It has nothing to do with audits. What if the owner had no clue and wanted to know? What if he had suspicions and wanted hard evidence? What if you hide it and later it comes out that you knew and didn't disclose this evidence? What if you hide it and the CIO and HR chick find out that you know and start harassing you after the fact?

You have zero legs to stand on and that is a fireable offense. Doing your job is NOT a fireable offense and is actually CYA in the event that it starts to backfire.

I don't care what anyone does outside of the company but when you do it and it can put me at risk, that means your ass, not mine. They are putting The_Yoyo at risk and they ONLY way to cover his ass in every possible way is for him to let someone above his boss, the owner, what happened and then pass that responsibility to him.

1 person likes this.
  3. Master Baiter

Exactly! Duh!

4. 111chase111

111chase111 Contributing Member

I would suggest that the only real policy that yoyo has to deal with is the "language in the e-mail policy". Unless the company has a policy that says "All rule breaking must be reported" than he has no obligation to report the affair - assuming it even exists and the e-mail was not weird (but friendly) banter between close friends. I know that's probably not the case but unless he sees them kiss does he really have proof of anything but bad judgment?

My take would be to make sure everyone knows that the language filter is in place and that specific words WILL get mail quarantined and that all such e-mail has the potential to get viewed by management. That should stop the abuse of company resources.

But I do think you should keep a hard copy of the e-mail....

5. Asian Sensation

So that's your ultimate motive in this situation? Disgusting.

Great question. Which hasn't been answered. What gain is there for you really? You have a lot to lose and very little to gain.

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

so he sent her an email from his work email to her personal email containing sexual language.. doesn't prove anything and not grounds for being fired.. lot of gray area.. not black and white..

what if they go back and say he broke privacy policy by reading email and describing its contents on basketball bbs..

i'm pretty sure there's other people/upper management within the company who are notified whenever emails like this are sent.. too much responsibilty/disgression for an exchange/netwrok admin..

7. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

It isn't that they would concoct some scheme to fire him, it's just that you don't want a boss, who controls your raises, promotions, workflow, etc..., to resent you. Also, you never want your HR department head to dislike you. I'm not saying he would have to worry about losing his job, but as far as advancing, that could be a totally different story.

Unless he can somehow (realistically) be audited and caught.

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

You have no business discussing this man, you are completely clueless and unethical. I sure as hell would tell anyone not to hire such an unethical person such as yourself.

I mean where in the **** are you getting all these scatterbrained ideas?

Let me try and explain this again.

If worst case scenario happened, and he did the right thing and reported it to the owner and for some reason after the fact they end up firing him, he would be able to sue them for wrongful termination and that is in no way "a disgusting motivation"

****ing clueless people man.

9. Master Baiter

You are a moron. Seriously. You are really an idiot because that was never, ever, ever said nor implied. If he does the right thing and they fire him, he sues them for wrongful termination. It is against the law to fire someone for disclosing this information to the correct people.

It has nothing to do with gain and everything to do with getting the responsibility of the situation into the correct hands. Not doing anything means that you have everything to lose. There doesn't have to be an agenda.

10. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

i'll go ahead and eat crow. i'll concede to the fact moes and master know more than me about this. i was just trying to think of certain outcomes by speaking up. i'd say after reading what master wrote to go ahead and bring it up.

keep us updated

11. Asian Sensation

Awww looks like Moes took one to the nipple.

12. Master Baiter

That is for the owner to decide, that is why you pass the responsibility to him.

He has been vague and no one knows the company, the people, or the actual contents of the email. He hasn't done anything wrong.

How do you think upper management finds out? BECAUSE THE ****ING EXCHANGE ADMINS TELL THEM!!

13. Blake

You make a great point. However, on the flip-side, what if the owner does know and doesn't care? What if the CIO does a great job and is hard to replace (I doubt the HR lady would be too hard to replace)? What if this forces him to confront them and he just gives them a slap on the wrist? Then you have to deal with the consequences. Also, I meant that if there was no way for him to be caught ignoring it later.

It's tough to answer.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I don't have much personal experience in this field, but MB does... and I'd trust his advice over any other "peons" trying to act like they know what is the best course of action here.

The_Yoyo is a stand up guy though and more of a Rockets fan than 99.9% of the people on this forum. He doesn't deserve to be called "worthless peon" or a "whiny drama queen" over this very serious matter.

15. Master Baiter

Then you say, "Hey, I don't care what people do on their own time, I just didn't want to be responsible for this information. I'm cool if you are cool."

It doesn't have to turn into a punishment for anyone. You just have to get the responsibility off of you.

16. meggoleggo

meggoleggo Contributing Member

If the owner knows and doesn't care, it's a fairly simple conversation then...

Owner: thanks for bringing this up, but I already knew, and I've decided I don't care. Please let me know if CIO gets careless with emails again.

/conversation

17. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

i'm talking if he decides to sue the company.. for what? not firing the cio and hr?

again i'm talking about a lawsuit.. all i'm saying its not an absolute win for him..

don't have to cuss.. we just discussing here..

this is how emails work.. alerts can be sent to multiple individuals.. eg. to: network admin cc: upper management..

if he was supposed to inform them, why did it take him a day or two anyway? because he had to describe the situation first to the bbs and ask for their advise? first thing the boss gonna ask him is when did he find out about the email and why didn't he forward it right away..

18. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

i usually can see different sides to arguments, but i'm having a hard time seeing the argument against what MB is saying.

You are up front about the situation, you let the right person know what's going on (i.e. doing what they PAY you to do, and nothing else), and move on.

What happens from there is up to the owner. You don't base your decision on what may or may not happen to you or the company. You do your damn job--what they hired you to do.

They didn't hire you to "do your job, but think about how it might affect the company, or you in the future...and think about what decisions it might force the owner to make... and then decide on whether or not you're gonna finish doing your job based on all those thoughts."

1 person likes this.
  19. Blake

Yeah, that would work I guess. However, he might still have to deal with a boss that dislikes him, which can impact pay raises and advancement (if the CIO doesn't get fired).

And moes, I hope you weren't referring to me, just because I might handle the situation differently. I have worked for a large private company for 5 years and 2 public companies for 2 years each...that doesn't make me right but I do understand the situation.

20. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

again, too much thinking about potential negative impact on him, etc.. It's pretty easy to go forward with the truth.

"Well, it seemed like it could potentially have very large implications, and at first I was shocked and a little hesitant. But I realized I had to do my job regardless of the situation, so I brought it to your attention."

No more questions, no lies..