1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So my boss is having an affair

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by The_Yoyo, May 19, 2009.

Tags:
  1. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

this or inform him the quarantine box has a couple of inappropriate emails..

2. Asian Sensation

Listen to FlyerFanatic and Blake... Is it really that hard to keep quiet and mind your business? Please tell me about the serious professional ramifications that will be taken into account if you don't say anything?

Lets see here, CIO vs. a peon who's trying to "make it". Also how do you know that the CIO is not trying to set you up and see if you actually do call him out on something like this and is actually really close to the owner?

Unless this endangers you somehow, someway which it really doesn't in the grand scheme of things you should turn the other way. You're just opening up a big can of worms for no good reason.

3. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

All the more reason to tell the owner if its a set up.

And I don't really see the need to act like a dick to Yoyo about this.

You're out of line buddy.

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

SwoLy-D the person KNOWS this is immoral and you should ask both parties to quit their ***** on YOUR server. :D
    SwoLy-D the CF'net dude thinks you could have some fun with this. :eek:

5. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

Unethical. You can get fired for withholding information and it can be used against you if they find out later that you knew and did nothing about it. It can also be twisted into saying that you were blackmailing them.

Unethical on the CIO's part. There is never a good reason to set up an employee and put them into an unnecassarily compromising situation. What if also on the other hand are they "setting him up" to see if he would do the right thing and then he fails? You are NEVER wrong for doing the right thing.

Unethical. They used company machines and networks to have their affair which is also against company policy. This is the owners company and he has the right to know and the right to decide what to do. You hand that responsibility to him and let him do what he deems fit. If the owner does nothing, at least it isn't on you anymore. If they retaliate against you, you have quite a bit of ammo to go up against them with. You have everything to lose by hiding it and nothing to lose by passing the responsibility to the one person that has decision making authority. If the owner ever found out later that you knew and did nothing about it, you are toast. At least if it were my company, you would be because that goes against everything that an employee should do in that situation.

I also want to add that I have always thought that the Ethics training that most companies make you take are so stupid because so much of it is common sense. After reading some of these responses I understand why they make everyone take them and sign saying that they will abide by them. I would never want many of you ever working for me.

#105 Master Baiter, May 19, 2009
    Last edited: May 19, 2009
    1 person likes this.
  6. SwoLy-D

^ This is good stuff right here, Master. :eek: Flicksvan is a lucky lady, sir.

7. Shaud

Shaud Member

Keep quiet.

Don't be "Captain Snitch on a Hoe"

8. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Getting weird in here.

9. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

To me the interesting thing is that you posted this on a public message board from what I assume is your work computer. That being the case, Clutch (or any admins with the proper permissions) could theoretically grab your IP address and determine from where you are posting and do a trace back using the IP and determine where you work.

10. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

i didnt realize whats ethical and what isnt was so cut and dry :rolleyes:

11. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

dude.

Its not arbitrary when its actually written in company policy.

12. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

i post from various ips, my phone, library, work, home, anywhere but if clutch wanted to trace me down that bad he wouldnt go through that hassle he would probably just ask me

13. Asian Sensation

Thanks for the Ethics 101 lesson. :rolleyes:

14. SwoLy-D

:eek: What, I can't compliment another male? Jealousy will get you nowhere, sir. ;)

It's the failing ETHICS and MORALS about the issue that is poisoning our system, people. Hence my compliment to Master Baiter.

All those of you who say "keep quiet" and "it's none of your business", would want to know only if it were happening between your cheating spouse and someone else... but this time it's OK... isn't it? :(

15. FlyerFanatic

FlyerFanatic YOU BOYS LIKE MEXICO!?! YEEEHAAWW
    Supporting Member

i'm not saying the dating/relationship they have is ethical. i'm saying what the dude is doing by either choosing to speak up or not too. its a tough spot to be in imo. hence, like i said, if the two are still employed and get a slap on the wrist, that might mean the guy involved is still his boss and above him..he'd have to watch his back as long as he worked there since the boss will prob be all over him about it

16. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Some people in here are seriously confusing arbitrary ethical quandaries with mandated company policies.

17. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

If he goes to the owner, he does his job and whatever the owner decided to do with it is his business.

If the boss/HR manager find out about it and start treating him unfairly, he has more than a leg to stand on.

basically, he can sue the **** out of the company.

18. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

You're making this too simple. If he can get audited and then get caught, then yes, he should report it. If not and it doesn't matter, then it's probably a better idea to leave it alone based on the parties involved. I realize that the affair is wrong, but unless they get fired, you are kind of committing career suicide at that company if the CIO stays in place. Like I said, if they audit all of the emails or something and the OP can get caught not reporting it, then he should.

If not, I think that the whole "this is the company's policy" should be overlooked. It would be different if it was two entry level employees, but the head of HR and the CIO (and his boss, to boot) are people that can screw you if they keep their jobs.

19. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

he can sue all he wants but he won't be assured of winning

its going to be his word against hr, cio, and owner..

IMO, companies generally have a policy in place that management (not just network/exchange admin) gets notified whenever inappropriate email is sent in/out of the company..

20. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

He would have the email as exhibit a.