1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So Micheal Wilbon believes 'blacks' as he termed it, don't care about analytics.

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by what, May 24, 2016.

Tags:
  1. what

what Member

Really? I know that a fair number of my brother and sisters here are black and analytics is a staple of conversation of their diet.

I'm really not sure what he is getting at, but I'm pretty sure his study is bogus.

2. what

what Member

3. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I read it, and can't say that regular black folk are any more or less disposed to adding stats to their daily conversations than regular folk of other races.

What I do know is that him citing Draymond Green's lack of understanding about stats as evidence is laughable especially when one of the faces of the stats movement, Shane Battier, is black.

Another thing about Draymond, his comment about not taking long-two's makes no sense. When did you ever see him take a long two? He literally either sets up for the three or works in the paint. If he does that "by feel", fine. But that only proves that you can incorporate statistically favorable actions into your game without "thinking" about it.

Also, LOL @ the potshot at Dwight at the end

#3 shastarocket, May 24, 2016
    Last edited: May 24, 2016
  4. FearTheBeardJH

Dumbest thing i've read in a while. Does he really not know the answer for that or is he just trolling?

5. tksense

tksense Member

Well, even though "blacks" is always a sensitive subject in the PC era, you wouldn't have to take this statement so literal and get offended by some casual observation.

When ppl say "don't" it almost always mean they "don't tend to", it is a generalization. It doesn't mean "no blacks ever", it can simply mean it's not as popular among blacks than it is among others. I can at least understand this observation, even agreeing with it.

You can see the same in academics. How popular is math among blacks versus among whites and Asians? How many math majors by African American students? Hard facts you can google or research. It is not a "better or worse" statement, it is just an observation. Ain't nothing wrong if you don't like math bro.

6. what

what Member

I don't think any black person wants draymond green as their spokesperson. LOL.

That's like acting Matt Barnes about how to handle an ex-wife and then usinmg it as proof some some large black edict.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Lol, that was the exact sentence I was going to point to.

It was also what made me realize what I already knew anyway... this isn't some kind of journalistic fact finding mission. It's an article, trying to get hits, doing so by being reactionary in nature.

I happened to catch the second half Wilborn's interview on LeBatard's show this morning, and it was equally moronic.

The idea that someone - as he attributes to Shaun Livingston - just won't use "advanced" analytics, but is interested in knowing when someone is a good or bad free throw shooter and other such stats/tendencies (which are stats over time) is again, equally moronic.

Or the idea that someone doesn't think about whether he is behind the three point line or one step inside because in the moment its too fast to decide I need to take a step back - as he attributes to Green - is again, equally moronic. Of course players factor this in. You can see it with your eyes. Nobody takes jumpers right in front of the 3 point line anymore. Moreover, you can actively see within given plays in a game players purposefully go back for 3s instead of long 2s. Because apparently those african americans can figure it out.

Not to mention the multitude of other players who do use the more advanced varieties of it, including Lebron.

The reason for the backlash against advanced analytics is because older school guys can't understand it. they think the process is some math geek making up numbers that are too hard to figure out, and completely ignoring other things like chemistry, fit, relationship, etc. Which, of course, isn't true. Advanced analytics seem to me to be used by executives, coaches, and players in the exact same way as "regular" analytics. A useful tool to consider, among various other factors.

8. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Holy Jesus...that was brainless even for ESPN's standards...

9. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

How many presenters at the sports analytics conference have been black (and argued a pro-stats position)?

What percentage of analysts around the league are black?

10. what

what Member

I know this is way off subject, but if anybody has ever read "the little man at chehaw station" by Ralph Ellison, it illuminates this kind of sweeping generalization against black people in a fundamental way that you never forget.

And Ralph Ellison just happens to be my literary mentor. Why I know this.

11. tksense

tksense Member

I didn't catch the show, so thx for summarizing. Anyways, it doesn't seem he's saying players do not understand what's a better shot, he just said they "don't care" right?

While the examples cited above still sound moronic, I can see how some players who love chucking long 2s still love those long 2s despite the analytics era. Some may have eventually warmed up to it or be convinced by others' success.

Still, when Battier was on the rockets, I remember him saying he's like the only guy who seriously read the 10page reports handed out by the analytics team. It's not that easy to digest especially when you are primarily focused on physical trainings. And if you hear a brief from a staff, it'd be less convincing versus personally studying those stuffs. So it is totally normal to "not care" imo, unless you are personally kinda interested in the subject.

In this regard, my previous post can still apply. It all comes down to whether you like this stuff or not. If you don't personally study it, you may be just hearing babbles from the management in a diluted form and when don't strongly believe it, it may have less impact on being applied on your habit or changing your instincts.

You're right about the hits-whoring industry, catchy myth gets hits, sensible analysis don't. C'est la vie.

12. HAYJON02

HAYJON02 Contributing Member

I don't think he's wrong. The allegation feels wrong. He lumps a ton of people together with his label of "blacks," but people who would socially self-identify have a definite aversion to the language of analytics, as it's currently presented. I've tried and failed miserably.

13. what

what Member

The Little Man at Chehaw Station.

Read more here:
    http://www-rohan.sdsu.edu/~ebeasley/Chehaw.pdf

IT WAS AT TUSKEGEE INSTITUTE during the mid-1930s that I was made aware of the little man behind the stove. At the time I was a trum¬peter majoring in music and had aspirations of becoming a classical composer. As such, shortly before the little man came to my attention, I had outraged the faculty members who judged my monthly student's recital by substituting a certain skill of lips and fingers for the intelligent and artistic structuring of emotion that was demanded in performing the music assigned to me. Afterward, still dressed in my hired tuxedo, my ears burning from the harsh negatives of their criticism, I had sought solace in the basement studio of Hazel Harrison, a highly respected concert pianist and teacher. Miss Harrison had been one of Ferruccio Busoni's prize pupils, had lived (until the rise of Hitler had driven her back to a U.S.A. that was not yet ready to recognize her talents) in Busoni's home in Berlin, and was a friend of such masters as Egon Petri, Percy Grainger, and Sergei Prokofiev. It was not the first time that I had appealed to Miss Harrison's generosity of spirit, but today her reaction to my rather adolescent complaint was less than sympathetic.

"But, baby," she said, "in this country you must always prepare yourself to play your very best wherever you are, and on all occasions.

"But everybody tells you that," I said.

"Yes," she said, "but there's more to it than you're usually told. Of course you've always been taught to do your best, look your best, be your best. You've been told such things all your life. But now you're becoming a musician, an artist, and when it comes to performing the classics in this country, there's something more involved.-
    Watching me closely, she paused.
    "Are you ready to listen?"
    " Yes, ma'am."

"All right," she said, "you must always play your best, even if it's only in the waiting room at Chehaw Station, because in this country there'll always be a little man hidden behind the stove."

"A what?"

She nodded. "That's right," she said. "There'll always be the little man whom you don't expect, and he'll know the music, and the tradition, and the standards of musicianship required for whatever you set out to perform!"

Speechless, I stared at her. After the working-over I'd just received from the faculty, I was in no mood for joking. But no, Miss Harrison's face was quite serious. So what did she mean? Chehaw Station was a lonely whistle-stop where swift north- or southbound trains paused with haughty impatience to drop off or take on passengers; the point where, on homecoming weekends, special coaches crowded with festive visitors were cut loose, coupled to a waiting switch engine, and hauled to Tuskegee's railroad siding. I knew it well, and as I stood beside Miss Harrison's piano, visualizing the station, I told myself, She has GOT to be kidding!

14. bulkatron

bulkatron Member

I haven't but that sounds like a fascinating read.

This article is anti-intellectual garbage. There is no evidence that black people are less analytical than non-blacks. That a black man should write it is even more bewildering.

15. what

what Member

It is an unbelievable essay, and when Ellison gets going on it he turned that Little Man Behind the Stove into something truly sublime.

16. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Pretty sure he was an English major

17. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

but it can also impact your next paycheck. if you don't want to adapt to what all the people handing out contracts think is efficient or valuable, your next paycheck might be smaller. even if you personally don't think the metrics are the right thing to focus on. i'm sure we all have things at our jobs that we focus on because the company focuses on it.

or it could affect whether you get a head coaching job, because you say you don't want to take into consideration what the people who do the hiring want to take into consideration.

analytics isn't unique to basketball. it's going to be adopted even more strongly in the future. not adopting it could hold a person back.

i'm not exactly sure what wilbon's motivation is in writing this, aside from the fact i know he doesn't like analytics. but white or black, ignoring analytics is probably going to get more and more detrimental to your career so i'm not sure any person is benefitted by ignoring it.

18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

He should study gay Asians' propensity for using analytics. ;)

19. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I can't believe I fell for that click bait.

It seems like blacks and "old white people" aren't using sports analytics because those are the people in the middle of basketball operations. This same dynamic exists in many other career paths. The operations teams believe they know "what's really going on" (and many times they do) and the engineering/business/office guys are reducing them to numbers.

Wilbon's comments about blacks in barbershops etc. is so idiotic. How many of you guys are having in depth analytics based debates away from the internet? I doubt the average white guy is discussing adjusted plus-minus at the water cooler.

It has nothing to do with race.

Also, regarding the employment discussion he had with Elhassan...a STEM major working at a professional sports team is actually not that attractive. You'll toil away for years earning pennies until maybe you get the opportunity to prove yourself at one of the handful of high responsibility positions. Even if you're really good, your chances of becoming Daryl Morey are quite low.

20. what

what Member

Maybe it wrote it to take the heat of the Draymond decision? It works right?