1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, Jacoby Jones has sure hands now?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by babyface44, Sep 24, 2012.

1. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The Super Bowl showed the good and bad of Jacoby. He bobbled the TD pass, muffed a punt (and possibly a Kick Off, can't remember who it was, but it was in the back of the endzone, so it doesn't really matter), but still managed to score 2 huge TDs on big plays.

If he was a Texan still, that pass would not have bounced right back into his chest, and hiss muff would have been recovered by the defense. Just a fact of life.

2. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Walter had more catches, touchdowns and yards this year. And the difference in targets wasn't significant (68 vs. 54). Walter also had more catches and touchdowns than Jones in 2011 despite fewer targets.

I highly the Ravens were expecting less than 30 catches and 1 touchdown when they signed him.

3. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

FWIW, I was including is special teams and playoff contributions.

Not saying the Texans should have kept him or that he would have even helped us this year. I'm just trying to calm this notion that he didn't contribute to the Ravens SB run at all. Or that his TD catch didn't really count because he bobbled it before catching it. That's just silly.

4. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

He was the league leader in kickoff return yards, if I'm not mistaken, but I also doubt they hired him to be 3rd receiver... more so for the kickoff and punt returns. :eek:

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I'd say it was a combination, a return guy who could also contribute as a receiver. It's not like he's Holliday who's rarely going to see the field as a wide receiver and is essentially ONLY a return man.

6. The Cat

The Cat Contributing Member

Maybe, but at the end of the day, is saving a 53rd roster spot for a ninth OL or third QB really all that critical? I mean, it helps a little, but I don't think it's a huge deal. That's why I don't buy the "combination" argument in regards to the value of his contributions.

He's a very good special teams player... but there's a fairly limited value there given how easily replaceable those are. And I don't give him hardly any value as a receiver... burners with shaky hands and iffy route-running are dime a dozen. Maybe you can expand the "good special teams" money a hair based on his saving you a roster spot, but I don't think it's that much.

I guess I'm coming at it from the other perspective... I've seen and heard way too many people this week screaming from the rooftops (cough, McClain) about what a mistake the Texans made in caving to the fans and media by releasing him. He did contribute to the Baltimore run, big time... but going forward, the fact that he caught a couple of go routes behind busted coverages doesn't change the fact that he mostly sucks as a receiver.

He's a damn good special teams player, and it's baffling how the Texans so rarely used him on kick returns... but I think he's overpaid based on the "combination" argument. In reality, he's got one above-average skill, and it's not worth the money for a capped out team such as the Texans. (That's especially the case here, because assuming Marciano stays, there probably won't be any return lanes anyway! :))

7. kaleidosky

kaleidosky Your Tweety Bird dance just cost us a run

Sadly, logical and reasonable arguments take understanding. Quick one-liners that require no depth of knowledge will gain more traction with the general public if they come from seemingly reputable sources

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Oh, I made it a point to avoid talk radio in Houston after the Superbowl. I knew there would be people clamoring for his return and blaming the Texans for cutting him loose (probably the exact same people who were calling in wanting his head a year ago).

We agree on this more than we disagree. I was just commenting on people saying the Ravens still would have won the Superbowl without him. He had a HUGE play against Denver and 2 HUGE plays in the Superbowl, so obviously they wouldn't have. Probably wouldn't have even beaten Denver.

Just giving credit where credit is due.

Kind of sad that everyone is assuming this. But it's true. And it's very telling about the Texans organization........

9. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

Jacoby is the cover boy for sports illustrated this week. I'm happy for him. He made his mistakes for sure, but he took way to much crap for the muffed punt in Baltimore last year.

10. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

11. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

I think it's pretty much settled, at least according to McClain.

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=232514&highlight=marciano

Besides, if he was going to be fired, it would've happened already in all likelihood.

We know how McNair runs things. He likes continuity. He views change as taking a step back. He looks at the Texans and sees a team that finished 12-4 and won it's division and first round playoff game for the 2nd year in a row. He's certainly not going to make changes at HC or QB. You'd think Special Teams, a glaring weakness all season (and most prior seasons) wouldn't enjoy the same protection, but I guess not. I think Bob sees it as primarily a personnel issue and not a coaching issue. That better depth will mean better players on special teams and that will be the miracle cure. Manning being successful as a KO returner vs New England convinced him of that. Never mind that Jacoby and Trindon performed better as soon as they left.

12. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Jacoby will be on Kimmel tonight.

13. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

14. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

Vanessa Hudgens for the win.

15. 713

713 Member