1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So I've never seen Star Wars.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by vaioavan63, Oct 31, 2015.

Tags:
  1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

IV, V, II, III, VI.

2. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Never seen it, any of it. No Star Trek, no Star Wars, nothing.

There is way too much good Sport to keep me entertained.

3. PeppermintCandy

I think for any film series, watching prequels that were made after the originals would ruin the experience of the originals. Prequels are always made self-consciously because they're being reverse engineered. So they often hint too much at what will happen in the following movies.

For example, I can't imagine trying to watch The Hobbit trilogy before the LOTR movies. Or watching Psycho IV: The Beginning because its story of a young Norman Bates takes place priot to the original classic film.

4. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Agree that starting with IV, V, VI is the way to go.
    Prequels are worse, but III is top 3 or top 2 in most opinions, it's only hated by some because it belongs to the prequel trilogy imo.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Because the first 3 are of lesser quality, and it actually ruins what is to happen in the next 3.

Honestly, if you take a person that has never ever seen or heard of star wars, and doesn't know any of the story....
    you totally will ruin what is to happen at the end of episode V, which to this day remains one of the greatest "WTF!" moments in cinema history... if you watch the garbage that is episodes I-III first

You watch them in the order they came out... because that's how they came out. You never get the prequels made if the original trilogy wasn't as great as it was.

6. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

7. Nero

Nero Member

If you have seriously NEVER seen any of them, then take my advice:

Watch Star Wars (IV), then Empire Strikes Back (V), and then only because you HAVE to, watch Return of the Jedi (VI).

Do NOT watch any of the prequels. There will be zero reason to watch them PRIOR to watching the new movie this Christmas. The new movie follows the events of VI, and the three prequels really have no bearing at all on what happens after VI anyway.

I'm not saying you should NEVER watch the prequels - just don't watch them until AFTER you have watched the first three and the NEW movie.

ONLY THEN, once you have had that complete, unblemished experience, should you then watch the prequels.

That is my very strong advice from someone who was there watching at the very beginning, and have been a fan all my life.

Don't taint your experience this Christmas with the prequels. Wait to watch them until later.

8. Torn n Frayed

Torn n Frayed Member

Some great advice!!

9. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

If you go back and watch the original star wars its pretty cheesy. I mean it was awesome the first time I saw it as a kid, but some its dialogue is pretty terrible.

I think reason why the prequels get lambasted is people just grew up.

The empire strikes back however is a pretty good movie.

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

If you watch the prequels first, you will be perplexed why Star Wars is such a mainstream critically acclaimed classic. The prequels are pure cheese. The dialogue belongs in a CW tv series that lasts 1 season.

11. BrieflySpeaking

BrieflySpeaking Contributing Member

never seen Star Wars myself, either, and probably never will.

12. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

My father hates the sci-fi genre mainly because it's a genre that can be prone to high levels of cheese, but with ESB, he actually enjoyed it (It helps that he is a huge fan of Harrison Ford). Out of all 6 films it easily has the least amount of cheese. The prequels were infinity more cheesy primarily because of the dialogue and the excessive cgi made many scenes(especially Coruscant scenes) look like the actors were superimposed in front of a backdrop.

#32 fchowd0311, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  13. Hammer755

Hammer755 Contributing Member

I generally agree, but Tolkien is not a great example, IMO, as the Hobbit was written before LoTR. Star Wars is completely different, as the source material for the prequels were retroconned to the original.

I think there are some things to be gained from watching the Star Wars prequels, but they're mostly aesthetic in nature. Seeing planets (Coruscant, Mustafaar, Kashhyk) and plots (Clone Wars, Order 66) that were previously part of Star Wars lore was pretty awesome from a fanboy perspective. I also feel that several of the additional characters were solid ... I liked all of the new baddies - Darth Maul, General Grievous and Count Dooku. But overall, I agree that the prequels are sorely, sorely lacking - the dialogue, plot, much of the acting and many of the supplemental characters were extremely weak, particularly Episodes I & II. But I still thought it was interesting to see the Republic in its heyday.

#33 Hammer755, Nov 1, 2015
    Last edited: Nov 1, 2015
  14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Episodes I and II are easily the worst of the saga. Episode III is somewhat on the level of IV, V and VI, but IV and V are head and shoulders atop the rest in terms of quality. The "tiers" of Star Wars IMO:

V
    IV

III
    VI

and at the bottom

II
    I

If you're watching for the first time, probably watch the original trilogy first. On the other hand, you may enjoy the prequels more if you watch them first, since you won't be going from greatness to average.

15. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

LOL @ watching them in numerical order, going from III to IV.

What happened to Kenobi? Why did he age so rapidly? And what happened to Annakin's accent once he put a helmet on? WTF?

16. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I always thought I was the only person who has never seen any of them.

Never watched any of the Star Trek movies either, only some of the TV series.

17. Bennie Anders

Bennie Anders Member

IV, V then III.

III (Sith) is an excellent movie but the fagboys had decided in advance to hate on all prequels.

18. fallenphoenix

fallenphoenix Contributing Member

IV, V, II, III, VI.

Don't even watch episode I. Totally unnecessary

19. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

On the contrary, "fanboys" are the ones still trying to find the "good" in them.

In the end, there's a lot more bad than good... including the 3rd one (which was still better than the other 2 pieces of garbage).

Even the most penultimate scene... the reveal of Darth Vader... was done terribly. Just a few tweaks here and there, and it could have been a far more quality movie.

20. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

You haven't heard? Jar Jar Binks is a member of the Sith. It would change everything.