1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, I'm coming to Houston: what's the weather like in December?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Bailey, Sep 3, 2003.

1. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

I mentioned a couple of weeks ago about planning to come to Houston to catch a couple of games. Well, vacation time is booked, flights are about to be, and I'm arriving on 5th December, for nine days.

I'm going to be catching some Rockets games (Detroit, Portland and SA), and generally having some relaxation time, doing some Christmas shopping, and having a couple of beers. Now, I know that everyone here will tell me that Houston is hot, but what will it be like in December? And how likely is rain?

Of course, any suggestion of things to see and do will also be greatly appreciated. I'm hiring a car, and my hotel is in the Galleria area.

2. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

Depending on where you're from, winters are generally described as "mild" by Houston-foreigners. Thing is, it's a different kind of cold, IMO. Houston has a very high humidity rate, and it's a very flat city, so wind chill factors don't accurately depict the bitterness of the cold. The humidity is still present in the air when it's like 40 or 50 degrees, so it makes it feel a lot colder than it is when all this cold invisible mist is floating around you all over the place. Simply put, "hot" in Houston is a different hot than in Las Vegas, and "cold" in Houston is a different cold than say, Denver. Not as cold, not as hot, but sometimes it can feel like it is. Rain's a little more likely here in winter than most places, but it's never too bad. Don't let this scare you, Houston really has no winter. It just pops up randomly through the season whenever mother nature remembers to turn winter on in Houston. Seriously, you might need to pack shorts.

But, if you're not from Houston, what on earth converted you to a Rockets fan, if you don't mind me asking.

EDIT: Oh, but after seeing that you're from UK, I doubt that humidity thing will even phase you...

3. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

Be prepared for anything. It could be bone-chilling cold. On the other hand, I remember several Christmases as a youth running around outside barefoot, too.

You'll need to seek this information closer to your time of arrival. It's that fickle.

4. RocketMan Tex

RocketMan Tex Contributing Member

Ditto

5. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Yea, as we say around here...If you dont like Houston weather, wait 10 minutes..it'll change.

Seriously, I highly doubt that it will be very cold by Dec...it could be in the 60-70 range during the day...or it could be in the 80s..;)

and contrary to what dtown thinks...when it gets cold here...the humidity is much lower than what you would expect.

in the winter, the humidity is normally anywhere from 30-60%.

6. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

Weather in Houston in December is more unpredictible than in July. In july it is hot and humid. In december it could be cold, or it could be warm. And even once you get here it may change. I'd say the only thing you don't need to bring is a real heavy coat like a parka. My heaviest coat wasn't used at all last year.

7. rockHEAD

rockHEAD Contributing Member

bring shorts and bring pants, bring t-shirts and bring sweaters... ya never know.

http://www.weather.com is amazing.

8. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

OK, so the consensus is that it'll be pretty variable, but not that cold. Definitely still what I would describe as 'outdoors' weather (not scorching hot, really humid, or freezing cold)...

9. Bailey

Bailey Veteran Member

In answer to your question, I saw some highlights of Akeem on TV in about 1989. That was when I decided that basketball was a sport I wanted to play, and subsequently I followed the Rockets. Of course, I've stayed on now that Hakeem is gone...

10. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

If you've never been to Houston before, um, we do things a little differently here. Right guys?? Like, um, we only wear those knee-high lace up moccasin boots. No sneakers, no dress shoes, no flip flops. Only knee-high lace up moccasin boots. And..uh...if you really want to fit in you should shave one of your eyebrows. All the cool people are doing that in Houston. And don't even bother bringing any shirts because we don't wear them here. Instead take a Sharpie marker and draw circles around your nipples. You can circle your belly button as well if you want to look like a real local.

Look forward to having you in our beautiful city!

11. Cohen

Cohen Contributing Member

I remember one Chistmas was about 85 and humid. Yuk.

Don't rule out cold. If you happen to hit a good arctic front, it could feel quite nippy, but prob not for more than a couple of days. The advice to check the extended forecasts before you travel was sound.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Accurate.
    It can also rain. A bunch. You never know. If you are lucky, you'll catch it right after a cold front, which has blown out the humidity, and find it beautiful, pleasant and nippy.

Don't count on it.

13. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Like everyone else says, expect the unexpected.

I remember days last December when it was 78 and humid when I left for work and 38 by lunch time. No kidding.

I'm counting the days until our first 'arctic front'...

14. Drewdog

Drewdog Contributing Member

rainy and muggy.

Highs in the upper 70's

15. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

When I was a kid in Houston in the sixties, we used to call those "Blue Northers." What a great name...

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Oh, we still do.
    Sometimes I use that expression with one of the Cali folks who have inundated Austin and they look at me like I'm demented and should be pitied.

Really.

17. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I think it was 1995 when it was a pretty warm december.

The temp starts dropping around the end of october. Around the end of October, it starts to get in the low 60s. I think.

You will never ever see snow in Houston. The last time we had significant white stuff on the cement was probably 1991.

I remember it snowing for a few hours in 1994. They let us go outside to the playground and run around in it. As soon as it hit the ground it melted. It was warm enough where all we need was a jacket. A windbreaker was good enough.

I hate the wind in winter.

I hate cold wetter. I rather be burning and sweating then cold with my ears and nose frozen off.