1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So I was at the Salvation Army Thrift Store today...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by oomp, Sep 20, 2011.

1. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

And found a set of 4 of these.

[​IMG]

They have a Gulf logo and Western Conference Champs 80-81 on the back.

This makes me happy. That is all.

1 person likes this.
  2. RocketsMAN!

RocketsMAN! Member

did you buy them???!

3. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Great find. Kudos! :)-

4. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Damn ... those are cool. Nicely done. I wish I had gone to the Salvation Army Thrift Store today. :)

A year or two back my wife found some vintage red/yellow Rockets hats at a garage sale. For a couple of quarters they were up on my office wall. I love finding things like that -- classic Rockets stuff that is meaningless to most but has value to old school Houston fans.

1 person likes this.
  5. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Those are awesome, well done.

And interesting that Oomp is registered as "Administrator" on the BBS summary page.

DD

6. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

OOps, it was just Clutch posting...lol.....great find oomp....

Let's hope you get some basketball to watch while you drink a fine single malt scotch during the games.

DD

7. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

Yeah. $3.96 for the set.

8. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

That's really cool. My coolest story like that was finding a bottle of Coke (unopened) commemorating the 1994 Championship at a garage sale for $.50.

9. AFS

AFS Member

did you drink it?

10. RedNews

RedNews Member

Those are cool!

11. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Those are awesome! My greatest find was actually here on Clutchfans.

As some of you know, Eddie Griffin is one of my all time favorite basketball players.

Someone had a Eddie Jersey and basically gave it me for free, now I rep it to the beach every other day...

Worthless to someone else, meant the world to me...

12. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Nice. I have a couple of those as well, both are opened but a valued part of my random Rockets collection nonetheless. I can't even remember where I got them.

13. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

This thread made me wonder if there is any other long time fans around who happened to be at the game mentioned in this article:

http://www.chron.com/CDA/archives/archive.mpl/1994_1194813/rockets-summary.html

And happened to hang on to this free give away from that game.

Can't find a google image and im too lazy to take a picture right now, but it's probably my favorite random Rockets collectible I have managed to hold onto and keep in good shape through all these years.

14. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Very cool, knote32. Out of curiosity, what made you like Eddie Griffin so much? I really thought he was going to eventually be a terrific addition for the Rockets (100% supported the trade up)... saddens me to think about the ending. He really had a gift for blocking shots though...

15. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I can't explain it Clutch. I love the guy. I will never forget the day he died, and how I felt. There was something about his presence that I have never been able to shake. He was a tortured soul, but he had a great heart. I was at all his summer league games. My favorite particular game was when he was matched up with Drew Gooden, who he absolutely destroyed. He put up about 40-20 with 8 blocks, (Terrence Morris kicked in a little too!)...

I half expect to find his name when I scroll down the boxscores to check out the "blocks" section. Kevin Garnett once said, before his death, that he was a "gift from god, and the best shotblocker & rebounder that he had ever seen"...

The potential of a developed Eddie Griffin paired with Yao Ming. Ugh...
    Anyone that saw him in person knows that the risk to trade up was well worth it.
    He was FREAKISHLY talented.

16. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

that was a steal

17. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It could be the Holy Grail. It was made in the time of MOSES!

1 person likes this.
  18. Pieman2005

Pieman2005 Member

BEAUTIFUL logo.. our new -R- logo is such a disgrace.. I hate it when storied franchises change a beloved logo.. (Detroit, Houston). Need to keep it classic (Boston)

19. sparky

sparky Member

Great find on the glasses. I always loved Eddie as well. My favorite Eddie moment was when blocked Shaq!

Besides his shot blocking and rebounding which was terrific. He was a good spread 4. He had a nice 3 pointer.

He had so much potential and he seemed very humble and had an awareness that he was tortured. I think that is duality of being a badass (blocking Shaw) on the court and being a bit emotionally fragile also endured Eddie to many fans. I don't even want to say how he reminds me a of a current Rocket...

20. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

No. It's in my little memorabilia case.