1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So I guess I'm the only one that doesn't want LeBron here?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by htwnbandit, Jun 18, 2014.

1. houstonstime

houstonstime Member

Cant decide what I like more, your response to this thread, or your signature lol

2. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

This is arguably the worst thread I've seen.

In the last 48 hours.

3. jank1434

jank1434 Contributing Member

I guess you're the only one who doesn't want their team to get a ring anytime soon, also.

The current team is not getting there.

4. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Can Chile do the impossible?

5. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

lol wrong thread

6. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Good luck with your arrogant " I want a championship my way" attitude. The rest of us reasonable fans will take a title any way we can get it.

7. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

Any attempt to change the current team is already an attempt to make it 'easier'.

8. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

for people clamoring for identity, what exactly is more identifiable than being the motherf'n NBA world champions?

9. TheJet

TheJet Member

If you don't want the media hype that surrounds the superstars you might as well stop watching professional sports. Almost every team has some type of media drama. Dwightmare ring a bell? Were you this opposed to him being here?

That's one reason why San Antonio is an aberration. They're not popular outside of their market and their best player has mostly kept to himself. But imagine if Duncan had asked for a trade. How would that affect your perception of the Spurs? Or Duncan? Or how about the way the Spurs GOT Duncan? Was tanking for more ping pong balls a purist move? How about Bruce Bowen, one of the acknowledged dirty players in the league?

I'm not knocking the Spurs, I respect the hell out of them. But I've heard this same argument about the 90s Bulls, the 2000s Patriots, the Seahawks, etc.

Any my point about FAs is that many sports "purists" point to free agency as a black mark on professional sports. But again, your definition of a fan and a pure fan is yours to define as you wish.

10. Matt78777

Matt78777 Contributing Member

This.

People are arguing about two different things on this thread:

First, would it be a good basketball decision to sign Lebron (or even another third star) or upgrade the supporting cast. Whether or not you like Lebron, any argument that adding the best player in the NBA would make us worse off than adding a supporting cast falls flat. The Spurs model is not an example of the opposite being true. If anything, Houston acquiring a third star is closer to Spurs model than the Heat, because the Heat surrounded their three stars with veterans at the ends of their career and guys with no upside whatsoever. Houston conceivably could have Parsons, Beverley, Jones. We don't need a supporting case, because we already have a one. Too many of them have been thrust into starring roles too soon. Houston has had the hardest time getting true stars, but they run circles around the Heat in their ability to find better than advertised role players.

However, I can sympathize with those who feel like they don't want Lebron because they'd rather not win that way. It feels a little front runnerish. Lebron would never be a Rocket at heart, the same way Shaq was never a Heat guy (although Wade was). There is something to be said for acquiring lesser players (or players with lesser brands) who can be more defined by their play with the Rockets, rather than their play with other teams. For that reason, I always used to root first for guys Like Chandler and Jones, the homegrown talent, to be key cogs in the system.

Personally though, I've stopped concerning myself so much with the identity of the players. Both our superstars are imports. Our homegrown guys routinely impress, and get traded, sometimes unceremoniously so. Now that I have a job and financial responsibilities, I don't begrudge any of our guys going for the biggest paycheck at the expense of loyalty. More than my job, sports are fickle. Your always an injury away from being done, and even good health for most guys on average equates to a decade of max earning potential, usually less. They can get theirs and not be loyal, but don't expect loyalty in return. It may be cynical, at this point, all I want to do is win. The only real Rocket is Daryl Morey, the only guy whose sole job is to bring the Rockets success. If we won a championship, traded away every guy and then won another, it'd be okay by me. Bring on Lebron, trade Harden to NY for Melo if that'll make us better. This league is ruled by teams with the best executives. They are the ones I am really rooting for or against.

11. Rip Van Rocket

Rip Van Rocket Contributing Member

Nothing wrong with someone not wanting a player, even if that player is really good. I can think of some current players and players from the past that I wouldn't want, even though they are great players. I like to like the players on my team. I would have been very unhappy if the Rockets had acquired Karl Malone. I don't like Kobe Bryant. I don't like Derek Fisher. I don't like Dwyane Wade very much.

LeBron is not one of my favorite players, although I would still be a Rockets fan if he did come here. I'll always be a Rockets fan no matter what. I think it would be more fun to win a championship against LeBron than with LeBron.

12. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Mcgrady fans like the op have always been jealous of other superstars who are leaders. They have made many claims that mcgrady has been unlucky and give no credit to clearly elite players like Kobe, lebron and Duncan.

Plus mcgrady fans have no basketball logic , evidence is here

13. Plowman

Plowman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Right on Raven!

14. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah, our style of losing in the first round maybe.

1 person likes this.
  15. tinman

Supporting Member

The poster created this post made the one about proclaiming his love for mcgrady.

It has been apparent mcgrady fans hate lebron, they have always hated better superstars .

They are like that hodor dude on game of thrones except he knows more about the nba

16. edwardc

edwardc Member

To win against Lebron or would be better.

17. tinman

Supporting Member

The op posted a thread proclaiming that he loves mcgrady.

Those hardcore mcgrady fans in the post have hated lebron. You want examples ?

18. Houston22

Houston22 Member

hahahaha

19. tinman

Supporting Member

Look at this other thread posted on Clutchfans:
    http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=205565
    TMAC > Lebron when it counts....

This is only more proof that LeBron James is hated by McGrady fans , just like Kobe is hated by them.

I'm simply telling you McGrady fans are jealous and do not want what's best for the Rockets. It's a no brainer that any team wants LeBron James.

Who cares if we get LeBron Only Fans, it's not like we never had them before. Look at Sactown.

20. TheJet

TheJet Member

Fantastic post. You hit the nail on both points. I do get where people are coming from regarding point #2. But to sacrifice team success because of your feelings about doing it the way you feel is "right" is the part I disagree with.

The best part about all of this is that if you had asked me that question when I was 17 I probably would have given an entirely different answer. It's funny what years and perspective can do.