1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So I guess I'm a Crunchy Con

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by twhy77, Jun 28, 2008.

1. twhy77

twhy77 Contributing Member

So I found this blog entry on National Review describing the "Crunchy Con" Movement. Although the movement is nascent, I do heartily agree with the manifesto, and know numerous people who live the lifestyle. I myself try to live some of it, although I don't think we'll do the homeschooling bit, and I don't use a coop or whole foods. At any rate, I think this "movement" will have a very strong voice in a few years:
    http://crunchycon.nationalreview.com/about/
    A Crunchy Con Manifesto
    By Rod Dreher

1. We are conservatives who stand outside the conservative mainstream; therefore, we can see things that matter more clearly.

2. Modern conservatism has become too focused on money, power, and the accumulation of stuff, and insufficiently concerned with the content of our individual and social character.

3. Big business deserves as much skepticism as big government.

4. Culture is more important than politics and economics.

5. A conservatism that does not practice restraint, humility, and good stewardship—especially of the natural world—is not fundamentally conservative.

6. Small, Local, Old, and Particular are almost always better than Big, Global, New, and Abstract.

7. Beauty is more important than efficiency.

8. The relentlessness of media-driven pop culture deadens our senses to authentic truth, beauty, and wisdom.

9. We share Russell Kirk’s conviction that “the institution most essential to conserve is the family.”

10. Politics and economics won’t save us; if our culture is to be saved at all, it will be by faithfully living by the Permanent Things, conserving these ancient moral truths in the choices we make in our everyday lives.

--Rod Dreher is a writer and editor at the Dallas Morning News. A native of south Louisiana, he has worked at National Review, the New York Post, and the Washington Times. Crunchy Cons is his first book. You may e-mail him at rdreher@dallasnews.com.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

IMO, points 2, 3, 5, 8, 9 are on the money. There is some truth in the others.