1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So I finally started lifting, I'll post all of my questions here.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by OldfanofTmac, Oct 5, 2013.

1. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

you're right, i apologize.

2. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

IIRC, the first six weeks or so of gains aren't really muscular. The improvement during that span mostly comes from you learning the new movement pattern of that exercise or exercises. As your brain becomes more familiar with it, it all becomes more automatic as its programmed into your muscle memory. Neurological signals fire faster, etc..so it becomes easier. After that, is when the gains are going to come from actual strength and larger muscles.

1 person likes this.
  3. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

Man wtf? I gained 5 lbs in like 3 weeks :(

I have been avoiding junk food and what not, only eating it once a week typically, maybe twice a week. I started working out about 5 weeks ago. I lost about 5 lbs in 2-3 weeks (183 lbs), and i went to the dr today and noticed i gained the 5 lbs (188 lbs) again. wtf...what am i doing wrong? I'm not even eating that much..

I'm trying to get to 175-180.

Could it be that i have gained *some* (albeit small) amount of muscle that has made me gain weight?

4. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

How many calories are you eating a day?

5. el gnomo

el gnomo Member

Are these two weighings from the same scale? Any number of things can account for 5 lbs, not enough info given.

brb gaining 5 lbs every cheat DAY :grin:

6. cheke64

cheke64 Member

Don't worry about that weight at all. I gained 15 lbs and people say I lost weight.

As long as you're not eating fast food you'll be alright. Work on your aethetic muscles.

Traps
    Shoulders
    Upper Chest with the forgotten secret pullovers.

I've seen too many people walking around with b**** t*** and scronny shoulders, that's fugly, but they bench alot doe.

I just bought a bench press and ordered the iron gym with the ab straps. Threw all this in the 4th empty room.

I

7. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Don't look the number only. What those five pounds are composed of is what counts. What exactly was your goal, just to drop weight? I thought you were trying to gain muscle too?

If you're that worried about gaining, then just keep eating well, do some HIIT, and don't lift heavy.

8. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It's not your weight that matters, it's the inches. Get a tape measure.

9. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

You are a string bean and need to gain weight, not lose it, in order to improve athleticism.

Are you getting measurably stronger?

10. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

I haven't eaten fast food in about 2 years. Whats the best exercise a beginner should be doing for shoulders? and what are the secret pullovers?

What do you mean don't look at the numbers only? I don't get it, I've definitely gained weight, and it pisses me off.

I AM trying to gain muscle as well, thats more important to me than losing weight. I'm trying to tone up. I just have some fat that I want to get rid of. Research says beginners will lose weight and gain muscle simultaneously for a period of time.

11. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

I'm a string bean? Sure, I look pretty scrawny, but I do have this belly fat and thigh fat that I just want to get rid of. I am trying to lower my body weight % by eating better. I'm not sure how gaining weight is going to add to that.

And when you say measurably stronger, do you mean have I been getting bigger / stronger looking (aesthetically speaking) ?

Well, I don't really know to be honest. Perhaps a little? I've been lifting for nearly 5 weeks - 3 days a week.

My strength has definitely improved, I can tell, but yeah, i haven't really been seeing any noticeable results as of yet, maybe some, but nothing substantial...

12. Rox11

Rox11 Member

the first month and a half don't expect to see much....wait.

13. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

You need to stop expecting results so quickly. People take YEARS of discipline and routine to achieve the results they want. If everyone could go to the gym and look muscular as hell after a mere three months then everyone you meet would be in good shape.

It takes dedication and a lot of patience.

14. cheke64

cheke64 Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/xAAfr90qQTQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

15. Panda23

Panda23 Member

IF IT WAS EASY

EVERYONE WOULD DO IT.

16. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

obviously im not expecting quick results after just 5 weeks, not sure why A_3PO asked. This bump was in regards to why I lost 5 lbs a few weeks after lifting and gained it right back.

17. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The quick answer to your question is when you first began lifting, you consumed the same calories as before and ended up burning off weight. Then at some point you started eating more and the weight came back.

If increased athleticism is your goal, becoming even thinner (175-180 lbs) won't accomplish anything. The very small amount of belly and thigh fat you have will never go away. Get over it. Work on increasing muscle mass through lifting. Also don't forget to work on your core (back, abs & obliques).

One thing to help increase muscle mass vs. fat is eating better. Avoid (or significantly decrease) junk food and empty calories and really pay attention to what you put in your body. Plan all of your meals to avoid making poor food choices because you are rushed for time.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

Don't go by what the scale says. The way you look will tell you a lot more. Just keep doing what you were doing. Eat well, keep lifting and increase weight as you go and you'll see results. Your weight can fluctuate a few pounds depending on when you weigh yourself. I've seen 4-5 pound fluctuations before. If I ate a lot and drank a lot of water, havent done cardio, etc, then i know to expect a heavier weight.

Also, your muscles are like 75% water and when you break them up by lifting, they're going to take in more fluid.

If you dont have a ton of fat anf it's just in select areas like your love handles and thighs, then dont worry. That's not a lot and you'll see some of that come off eventually or can always tweak your diet once you're further along in your training.

19. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

How many calories are you eating a day?

20. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

question, for preacher curls, should I do preacher curls with dumbells, switching off between arms,or should i just do preacher curls with the ez barbell which would simultaneously work out both arms.

should i do one or the other, or just both?