1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So I finally started lifting, I'll post all of my questions here.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by OldfanofTmac, Oct 5, 2013.

1. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

???

If you're working out your traps you're doing deadlifts wrong. Your arms shouldn't be bent, you should be pushing off your heels using your hamstrings. Your back, lowerback, arms, are just to stabilize the weights. For traps, do shrugs..

2. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

Compound exercises first. Bench press, deadlifts, Squats etc

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

4. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Do a lot of pullups.

Do a lot of pushups.

5. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

I would recommend not solely using bench press but augmenting workouts, to get better at bench do incline and to get better at incline do push presses

just learn how to mix in auxiliary and core lifts

6. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Do u even lift brah? No, I just do pullups and pushups.

7. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Well to be fair newbies should start with bodyweight exercises imo. The dude was talking about doing 3 sets of 55 lbs. on bench press. The bar weighs 45 lbs. Unless he is female or 10 years old... or both.

8. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

umm, i was doing 3 sets of 10 reps of 55 lbs when i first began 4 weeks ago. Not because i couldn't lift more weights than that, but because i wanted to get in a good amount of reps/sets. and i wanted to have a nice number to build on - about 5-15 lbs added weight each week.

9. Mr. Brightside

I agree. I've been more jacked in the past year alone just doing pullups and pushups at home. I used to workout for years in the gym. But now I don't have a gym in my area that is open during the hours I am free so I've been forced to do home workout.

I do about 120 pullups each day and 200 various variety pushups. Also do tricep dips with chair. Get leg workout via street running on hills. I actually prefer this way as I save time from not having to go to the gym.

10. sammy

sammy Contributing Member

Is anyone here still taking Craze? What a nice supplement but I'm weary of that report that came out not too long ago.

11. droopy421

droopy421 Member

Yet you say you are struggling with 95 lbs. I do not know how old you are or how big you are but still that is rather low for a bench press starting weight. Which is why I suggested doing a lot of pushups, so that you can build strength in similar areas without having to worry about a weighted bar falling on you.

12. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

What came out about it? I have some and use it here and there...dammit, knew it wasnt good for me when my heart would beat out of my chest. :grin:

13. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

120 pullups? That is pretty impressive. After about 30 I can barely raise my body.

14. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

If he's starting out and that's his comfortable weight to lift right now then that's all that matters. The one thing he shouldn't be worrying about is trying to lift more weight than he can safely lift just to impress anyone.

15. Mr. Brightside

Not 120 in a row. I do them in sets of 10. I do various grip pull ups with ten seconds rest in between.

So 6 sets of 10 in morning. And same in evening.

The home pull up bar is the greatest invention ever.

16. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

The thing about pull ups, it primarily targets the lats, which internally rotates your arms, which can causes shoulder issues for you. You'll be walking around like a gorilla. It's important to also hit the mid/lower traps, rhomboids, etc by pulling horizontally and not just vertically. Some external rotation work would be good too, to keep things balanced and keep shoulders healthy.

The problem with this is, he's not going to have much more success lifting his own body weight repeatedly either. what he would need to do is, use dumbbells, so he can start as low as necessary and not worry about a bar or fixed body weight that's too high.

However, considering he said he added some work before his bench press, it's likely that's his problem. He wasdoing a good number of reps before that, so i don't think lack of strength is a big issue here. He seems to be progressing well.

oldfanoftmac, what exercises did you add?

#156 RV6, Oct 31, 2013
    Last edited: Oct 31, 2013
  17. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

Stop twisting my words moron. I didn't say I struggled with 95 lbs. I can lift 135 lbs a few times and i'm just a beginner, but i said I am doing 95-105 lbs and I do 10 reps, 3 sets. I get tired usually during my last set and last few reps. It's not that I am unable to do it, it is just a little difficult for me, a beginner.

preacher curls, hammer curls, dumbell press, and a few other dumbell exercises.

18. RV6

RV6 Contributing Member

You do all that before bench press?? That's definitely the issue.

to make it easy, group muscles/workouts like this:

chest/tris

shoulders/legs

back/biceps

To do major movements like the press you need all the muscles involved working well. You basically fatigued your arms before bench pressing and it caught up to you at the end.

Start every workout with the exercises that recruit more muscles (compound movements), like presses, pulls, squats. After those do the curls and extension type of exercises.

19. OldfanofTmac

OldfanofTmac Member

ok cool, thanks RV6.

Another question. people talk about 'noob gains' - meaning, a huge amount of growth from a beginner once he begins lifting. i haven't seen those yet, although my strength has improved for sure. why is that? and how long do the noob gains last until you must then change up your routine?

20. droopy421

droopy421 Member

:rolleyes::rolleyes: Just trying to help brah; don't get your panties in a wad. You should be struggling at the end of your sets. Was just providing alternatives.