1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So Glad That This Guy Didn't Win

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by jEXCLUSIVE, Mar 23, 2011.

Tags:
  1. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

I'm not getting any comfort on the "it was over 40 yrs old" angle. It was still in operation. In a wealthy and standards conscious nation. Presumably, had been subject to proper inspections and controls in the interim, and deemed safe. Deemed safe last month. Any plant built today, will be 40 yrs old at some point.

And the 'designed for 8.2 and survived 9.0' argument is more concerning then comforting. Shows they didn't contemplate what actually *did* occur. That something scientifically improbable is still actually possible. And happens.

So...in light of what actually has occurred...they absolutely should be reviewing and reevaluating standards. Looking at worst case scenarios. Reviewing the lifespans of older reactors with a much higher mindset of safety in the event of even highly improbable situations.

It's hard to separate reports filled with fear and hype from those that seek overt appeasement of those fears at this point. It appears things are not as bad as they could have been. Or possibly...all things considered...not too bad at all. But I still wouldn't go near that plant. It absolutely should not be 'business as usual' in the nuke industry.

[​IMG]

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Heres a concept for your feeble brain, build Carnegie Hall out of Bazooka Joe wrappers, you ****ing zealot.

My god, your brain is SO FEEBLE!

I literally cannot even look at you without laughing at the size of your brain, because it is as laughable as Sarah Palin attempting to write a book.

FEEBLE BRAIN! FEEBLE BRAIN!

3. jEXCLUSIVE

jEXCLUSIVE Member

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I receive great comfort in the 40 year old angel -- geometry need not apply.

5. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

And all we're doing at Yucca Mt. is saving the fuel rods until breeder reactor tech can turn a profit burning spent fuel rods. That tech is not far off either.

6. da_juice

da_juice Member

I'm agreeing with the likes of basso, bigtexx, and CaseyH?

Damn! You know you've went too low when I agree with someone on the opposite end of the spectrum!

1 person likes this.
  7. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

I dont understand why we dont reprocess our spent rods. Aside from drastically limiting nuclear waste, it also creates more fuel that can be used in plants. France does it with ease and has a fraction of the waste that we have to deal with.

It also would make something like Yucca a non-issue.

8. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

9. RocketDonut

RocketDonut Contributing Member

MORE SIMPSONS!!!!

[​IMG]

10. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I generally agree with you but in the case of these reactors they were going to be decommissioned and this earthquake and tsunami happened to hit before that could take place. I am still ambivalent about nuclear and this situation certainly raises some questions in my mind about its safety, just like the Deepwater Horizon also raised concerns about off shore oil drilling.

Another situation that I am comparing what is going on Fukushima with is the WTC on 9/11. On the plus side the towers survived the immediate impact of planes larger and more powerful than the 727's they were designed for but they still collapsed with thousands unable to be rescued from them. While almost no one was saying that 9/11 meant that we shouldn't build skyscrapers because of inherent problems with extreme events it did lead to a review and revision of building codes and practices regarding design of skyscrapers.

Just to add obviously noone has died (yet) from the Fukushima reactors and I don't think this should be the end of nuclear power but it should lead to some changes regarding how we are handling things like cooling and waste.

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

If they are built in the 80's and 90's how can you say that? Do you seriously think they didn't revise anything? Have you even been involved on a technical project?

do you know why the F35 is so much over budget? Designs change, requirements change technologies change.

12. Bandwagoner

Congrats on finally graduating with your Liberal Arts aka toilet paper degree.

13. Bandwagoner

This is the only real issue with nuclear power. And the reason we have it is because people are so scared to death of it.

Meanwhile BP will explode more low paid workers on the ocean, more coal workers will get black lung, and global warming will get worse.

Congrats.

14. Bandwagoner

I don't have a problem with anything that you said. I wish more people in the thread would think.

15. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

fixed that for ya.

I want us to use nuclear, but am not a fan of the waste....someone above mentioned recycling fuel rods, whats the deal with that? Does it work and if it does why arent we doing it?

We gotta figger this stuff out, nobody can seriously think we can keep using oil forever.

16. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Yeah, 30 million folks are rushing to buy bottled water as the Tokyo public water supply has too much radiation for kids and probably adults.

What is the obsession with nuclear power? I get it that the industry wants to keep making money,but what else? We don't need it. I guess we need millions killed before we move on to something else.

17. Classic

Classic Member

Obsession? How about a means to an end for energy independence. Unless you're okay pretending our mid east intervention policies are really humanitarian efforts as the tv tells us. Nevermind the fact that arguably millions of innocent civilians have already been killed as a result of our country's dependence on foreign oil.

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

At present we pretty much need either nuclear or fossil fuels to provide the bulk of electricity but I don't think that need always be the way to go. Not just as a country but as a civilization we need to seriously look at conserving and developing other means of providing power. Fossil fuels have all sorts of downsides but an event like this should remind of the downside to nuclear.

19. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There are nuclear weapons proliferation issues. It creates plutonium and other stuff that can potentially be used in weapons.

20. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

yeah that palin pick was pretty awesome... nothing embarrassing at all about that

KASE KLOSED

1 person likes this.