1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So, Eric Gordon is bad.

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by LorneMalvo, Nov 25, 2020.

1. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

His mid-range game has, and always will be cringe inducing. Before and after the Rockets.

HP3 and Stephen_A like this.
  2. finsraider

finsraider Member

agree. He’s valuable to the team if he returns to his averages.

Westbrook is not valuable to this team at his averages.

3. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

The difference is CP3 had a reason to be worse, and was actually still good even while worse.

And Gordon has been overrated for years. He just plays a role that’s needed.

People think he was good last year, he was indentical to Westbrook offensively.

His playoff RAPTOR is at -3.1.

Negative on both ends, deep negative offensively.

He’s a chucker that cant pass, change directions, or get to the FT line.

He’s 32 with a mediocre BBIQ. He’s 6’3, and 32 no less.

A short old man? Not good unless you’re Nash, Chris Paul or John Stockton. Even Isiah sucked at his age.

Eric Gordon is likely to be done. He really shouldn’t get big minutes anymore. No impact metrics agree he ever was good defense in Houston, ever. He just plays a difficult, valuable volume scoring role, so his impact on offense has been legit until the last two years.

I mean, the fact that he can’t even be traded on a modest contract tells everything.

17/2/3 on 54 TS% this past playoff run with bad defense.

His man defense has always been adequate but help defense wise? Horrendous for years.

The Rockets don’t have the margin for error to give him big minutes anymore.

Denovo likes this.
  4. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

rivers suck ass. That’s why there was little interest in him for last couple years. I think it’s funny people and the media are crying about Jeff green and rivers — two guys we picked up on waivers when no one wanted them. These guys were expendable especially Rivers who underperformed all season. Green resurrected his career with us and I miss him but we can survive.

seclusion, Dacamel and RudyTBag like this.
  5. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

They weren’t ranked number one on defense.

He wasn’t even a top 5 defender against OKC where they had a good defensive series.

Harden, RoCo, House, PJ, Rivers all gave more. Especially Harden, PJ, and Cov.

OKC was playing Steven Adams and didn’t even use Gallinari over bad shooters who could defend a little. They were sabotaged.

Lakers did whatever they wanted. Gordon is no key defender against any team.

I remember him easily getting to the rim on OKC and Shai and he still manages a 50 TS% somehow to end the series.

This guys leash is crazy for reputation only. Inertia. That’s why he’s so accepted and highly regarded.

Really? Actually? Just a 3 point contest is why. It led to his detestable selection as 6MOY over a variety of better bench guys. He is absolutely not even a top 10 or 20 shooter in the NBA and hasn’t been for years. He won that contest after the hot year in NO and now he’s a shooter. He’s more a volume chucker with little to no intangibles.

You don’t win with guys like him. You win with Bevs and Iguodala’s. You really don’t even win with Redick’s in the NBA playoffs, as good as he is/was.

6. TimDuncanDonaut

Is Ego's decline permanent i think is the question. Will he bounce back.

In the bubble, it looked like he got in better shape (lost a bit of weight).

He was up and down last year; inconsistent. The offense gave him some possessions to create where he'd drive to the hoop. It wasn't just catch and shoot, which can be hard for player's rhythm.

I don't know why some of EGO's drives doesn't fall; can't tell if it's his defender's height, or the refs has some kind of quotas where if X number foul calls called for Harden and Russ, they just weren't going to call it for EGO. That said he falls into the trap the ref complain at times, where I'd wish he'd get back on transition defense faster.

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  7. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I’ll take your word for it. I have never seen him shoot a mid range shot. Lol

RudyTBag likes this.
  8. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This absolutely blows my mind. I can't even begin to begin. o_O

HP3 and Stephen_A like this.
  9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Dude Bev has never won anything lol. And like Russ said Bev “be fooling y’all”.

Dacamel likes this.
  10. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

You know, as right as I am. The tone of Clutch right actually. I’m not even gonna argue or try to die on this hill.

Clutch is right, the chance of a bounce back make it worth it just to keep him.

he really just needs to shoot better.

And not be disastrous on defense as vet.

His unhappiness should disturb people for several reasons but Gordon should stay at this time.

Essentially he should’ve been traded years ago when he was a supposed bargain contract but why lament.

HP3 likes this.
  11. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

Yeah ROCO surprisingly isn’t really a good on ball defender in my opinion. But he makes this up with quick recovery and keen blocking and fast hands. And Austin Rivers was ineffective as he continually let people blow him.

12. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

He gets fouled a lot. No calls.

DreamShook likes this.
  13. pass_to_Hakeem

I’ve felt... they should of traded him away last year

1) always hurt
    2) has no handles
    3) shot dropped off the past two years

What good is he ? He can play D and he can finish, but he has to be on the floor to do both those things.

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I like EG and think Silas will unlock his potential.

T for 3 likes this.
  15. jogo

jogo Member

In 36 games last year:

EG defended players whose FG% was 45.3% on average

against EG they shot 34.5% (DFG%) (-10.7%)

2018-2019 68 games, fg% 45.2 dfg% 44.5 (-.7%)

2017.2018 69 games, fg% 44.9, dfg% 40.4 (-4.5%)

2016-2017 75 games, fg% 44.7, 41.2% (-3.5%)

He's always been a great defender for the Rockets. He takes a ton of pressure off James and WB with his defense. He's never been "disastrous" on defense. Just stop.

DVauthrin, DreamShook, HP3 and 2 others like this.
  16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

COUNTER POINT

ERIC GORDON IS.... GOOD

D-rock likes this.
  17. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

he needs to improve his shot selection, stop jacking up quick 28 footers even after he already missed his first 6

RudyTBag likes this.
  18. HP3

HP3 Member

Whatever you think about EG(love him or hate him), now is not the time to trade him.

19. LorneMalvo

LorneMalvo Member

This is just a small part of defense. How many possessions do you think involve isolation in the NBA? Even on the Rockets, ISO only happens 15% of the time.

He always dies on screens, is bad at playing passing lanes, helping at the rim, helping in general, rebounding, communicating not a serious plus.

RoCo is a significantly flawed man defender, monster defender overall.

Oh and now that I’m getting my memory booted up again, a lot of that is EG is really good at contesting 3P shots. Not even all shots from all locations, just a really good sense of timing on contesting 3P shooters. It doesn’t make up for anything. His flaws outweighs his weaknesses big time.

20. HP3

HP3 Member

https://projects.fivethirtyeight.com/2020-nba-player-projections/eric-gordon/

Even 538 has him bouncing back next year. Just chill with this, if he has a break out year next year then we'll get more for him. And his offense will always outweighs whatever defensive issues he has. Mostly because defense on ball is very valuable in our switch defense. Plus he's usually a good playoff performers, specifically against the better teams. Against the Lakers his TS% was 60. So just chill, trading him now for a worse player(and adding picks to it LOL) is not gonna help anyone. You arent as right as you think you are.

D-rock likes this.