1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So Chris Paul got $40 million per year...

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by TheRealist137, Jul 9, 2018.

1. SF3isBack!!

SF3isBack!! Member

Its why he's not a winner.

2. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

If cp3 was a free agent teams would have moved mountains to get him. He would have gotten max somewhere. When he was traded here it was an understanding on getting re signed. You pull that deal out from under him no player is going to respect you or want to play for your organization.

CP3 arrived and boom we were 1 game away from the finals. Pay the man.

UTSA2step and jamisonrocket like this.
  3. blackistan

blackistan Member

Bad idea giving him the max IMO...he's bound to get injured when it matters most and is on the tail end of his career

PeterKingX likes this.
  4. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

Uhh CP3 took a massive paycut....
    If he would've resigned with the Clippers it was going to be for 5-years $201,158,790
    By opting in, the Rockets will pay Paul a total of $184,330,087 in those same five years
    Thats a paycut of $16,828,703

Maybe i'm wrong.
    Can somebody help me with this?

5. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Hes worth a max contract. He got a max contract. Durant isnt sacrificing anything. He is taking smaller deals to get bird rights after next year to get his 5 year bird rights max.

UTSA2step likes this.
  6. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

Some of that is made up in California vs Texas Tax, but yeah he also risked a major injury from never getting that contract at all. At his age and history he was an ACL away from never sniffing max dollars again. Huge gamble.

7. Rocketman7

Rocketman7 Member

So true...

8. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

After Warriors owned the Rockets again this year, CP3 will be 35 years old man. What a waste of one year for $40 millions cause you know you ain't beating the Warriors with Cousins in the middle.

PeterKingX likes this.
  9. whozee

whozee Member

We need Kevin Durant to teach him how to have heart

10. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

I dont believe any other team would give him 160 million, considering his age and injury hisory.

11. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

CP3 at 35 will be fine. His game will age way smoother than most. You always play it out. If cousins has a setback, and a warrior goes down its wide open again. We still have time to figure this out. Melo is an offensive upgrade to take andersons and arizas minutes. Luc didnt play in the playoffs really at all. Just have to replace ariza. Find a defender to replace half of arizas minutes. Let melo take anderson and the other half.

12. Gorilladunks

Gorilladunks Member

you're delusional if you dont think semi contenders wouldnt move mountains to get cp3. We go back on our word of a wink wink max deal trade, the lakers would have paid him and teamed him up with lebron.

plus then we ruin our reputation as an organization by treating paul like that.

13. tc0330

tc0330 Member

If it wasnt for CP, we would have never made it to round 3 of playoffs. If wasnt for CP, we would have never made it to game 7 against GS. I hate paying him that much too but dont put the blame on him cause we lost 2 ROLL players that can be replaced.

I was pi$$ed too tryna blame CP when the news first came out...but i came to my senses. No reason to hate on a game changer bc the price tag. After how far he got us, the man is literally worth every cent.

UTSA2step likes this.
  14. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

CP3 probably has a net worth close to Qpl million today... would it really have broke the bank if he took 33 mil a year considering his age and injury history? Imagine if we had an extra 7 to 10 mil... these guys at times seem like they could give a shiii about winning. Too much money aint enough money so the sahing goes

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

So would u rather have let CP3 just walk and go back to Harden plus role players which we know for sure isn’t winning any title? Yeah, sacrifice. He sacrificed 10 mil last summer while coming here via opt-in and trade. He is the 1 who recruited valuable players like PJ and Luc. Oh, and guess what, Melo, who so much of CF is caping for damn sure wouldn’t be coming here if CP3 was not here.

16. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

At the end of the day Morey probably sees something we do not. The guy afterall has been doing this for a long time and just won EOY to go along with his elite education in computerscience and statistics. I think we should let the expert be the expert and trust that he knows what he’s doing...

17. Elephant810

Elephant810 Member

He might have took less to go to the Lakers and join BronBron

18. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

There is a difference between:

Kevin Durant, Steph Curry, and Klay Thompson, winners of multiple championships saying, "Hey man! We really want you to play with us but we dont have the money to offer you what other teams can. However, all three of us are taking paycuts to put and keep this great team together. Can you do the same?"

James Harden and Chris Paul saying, "Hey man! We really want you to play with us but we dont have the money to offer you what other teams can. We both took the max money we could and now we would like you to take a paycut even though your salary is peanuts to what we will be making. You cool with that??"

Why are Luc and Ariza going to take a paycut at 5M and 15M when Paul didnt take one and he makes crazy more.

Chris Paul set the tone and you are fooling yourself into thinking otherwise.

If I am Luc I am thinking that dude is making 40M a year and didnt take a paycut and now wants me to take one and I only make 5M lol.....

[​IMG]

Little Bit likes this.
  19. CXbby

CXbby Member

If Ariza is worth $15m then Chris Paul is worth $40m.

If Capela is worth $20m then Chris Paul is worth $50m.

20. 523744

523744 Member

This is a superstar driven league, both on the court and off (e.g. attracting other players). Though it hurts, we made the right move -- you have to take care of your superstars that showed up/exceeded expectations.