1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

so, any word on how francis looks?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fromobile, Oct 8, 2007.

1. Murph23

Murph23 Rookie

1 preseason game and you are already passing judgement? Steve's knee tightened up on him after his monster dunk. That is all. I wouldn't be surprised if he is named the starting pg once the Rockets trade Rafer.

2. moses22

moses22 Rookie

to bad rafer wont be traded and that steve isnt a pg

3. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

haha thats funny because if we traded rafer and named francis the starting PG that would be the shocker of all shockers :D

4. Murph23

Murph23 Rookie

Adelman's offensive system does not require a pure point guard, just team passing.

Rafer is expendable.

5. Murph23

Murph23 Rookie

Well then get ready to get shocked!

6. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

My thoughts on Steve so far:

1. That dunk confirms that he has not lost his physical abilities, at least not much. So his "decline" in the past couple of years was mostly mental.

2. Passing up that shot to Head confirms that he still can't make good decisions on the break. That doesn't bode well in Adelman's offense. Contrary to some haters opinion here, Francis has never been a selfish player. He just can't make quick and good decisions on the floor. His over-dribbling is not ballhogging. Dribbling is his way to buy time to make the right move.

3. Having said the above points, I think we shouldn't judge his overall effectiveness for the short time he played last night. Hopefully he will get more time in the next game. I don't think you can say that he's in the doghouse or something. The coaches do need to evaluate every player in the preseason. Next time will be his turn to show what he can do.

7. thiuronium

thiuronium Member

So no playing time for Bonzi?? :eek:

8. poprocks

poprocks Member

Yeah, I agree. I think Adelman will find a way to use him that will play up to his strengths.

9. DaRhx05

DaRhx05 Member

lol he still got his hops. u see his tip dunk, he just needs some adjusting to do and we will have our franchise back

10. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Man, I can't wait to see the improvements in the guys as the preseason goes along. We saw guys like Bonzi, Yao, and Scola, play better in Game 1 only because they are used to playing in similar systems (Bonz with Adelman, Yao on Chinese National Team, and Scola with Tau) while guys like Steve and Luther, who have never played in this kind of system before, struggled.

We are so stacked with talent for a change this year that nothing in the preseason can get me down, barring injury. If players struggle in the preseason games, that's to be expected and I think they'll make adjustments and be ready come opening day. If they do well in the games, then that's just more good signs of the things to come. It's all good no matter what. Just stay healthy baby.

11. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

He's in there. Maybe he ends up being the first guy off the bench. The guy I MISSED including was Head. But that just goes to show how overcrowded we are at the 1 and 2. I hope Morey makes a roster move or two that clears this up. I doubt we'll have a harmonious locker room if a number of guys can't get 20 mpg when they'd be rotation players anywhere else.

Evan

12. Samar

Samar Contributing Member

Have any of you guys ever played basketball? You sound like nerds who collect basketball cards...if you guys ever played, you wouldn't sound like such morons.

13. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

lollllllllllll

14. wingz0

wingz0 Member

Luther struggled? Strange, you must've been watching a different game then.

And Luther played in a motion offense back in Illinois where he excelled as a scorer who cuts hard to the rim and off backdoors. Trust me, Adelman's offense should be familiar to him.

15. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Lol, yeah, why not bench the pg who fits best in the sytem for the guy who is still learning the system. great idea. Did Steve call you and tell you that? His knee tightened up after the dunk huh? Ok, news to me

16. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

um luther has done suprisingly well in this offense. hes beating francis in minutes thats for sure. what are u talking about?

17. Robjos

Robjos Member

This is classic! LOL