1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

so, any word on how francis looks?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by fromobile, Oct 8, 2007.

1. StupidMoniker

StupidMoniker I lost a bet

I'd say a lot like Donald Faison, with maybe a bit of Alfonso Ribeiro.

2. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

[​IMG]

3. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

I hope Steve starts... He is our most talented, athletic, and biggest option at the 1 (and our youngest other than Brooks). I can't imagine that any trouble he's having with this offense would hold him back too long.

Besides... seeing Mac, Stevie, and Yao ALL in the lineup at the start of every game... Oh man... *drools uncontrollably*

4. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

I think Steve would make an outstanding sixth man if that is the role he's given.

5. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I dont think so, he has never been as productive off the bench. To get the most out of him, he needs to start, regardless of the minutes he plays. Him starting will make him feel more confident.

6. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

The problem is starting games on the right note is so important in the NBA. Over the years it seems like one thing Rockets teams do very well is fall into early deficits they have to claw their way out of. If MJ's jumper is deadly and SF is having trouble adapting to the offense, I don't see how SF can be a starter. He will have to adjust and play a new role. If he's truly more mature than before and everything is about the team (his own words), this is an adjustment he should be able to make.

Finishing the game is the most important thing, and Bobby Jackson often finished critical games after coming off the bench. This is the true mark of trust from Adelman.

We still have 3 weeks before the regular season opener and a lot can happen. I wouldn't be surprised to see SF in the starting lineup.

7. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

oh cry me a river, since when should we cater to every players' needs? mike james would be effective starting or off the bench. so why cant francis?

i thought the francis signing was good since we got more talent, but i severely doubted he'd do well in an adelman offense, or any offense that isnt revolved around himself for that matter. if francis cant run a simple minded halfcourt offense, what makes u think he can operate a more complex, triangle/motion offense?

8. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

again that's TOO MUCH individual talent on the court at the same time. francis is more suited for the 6th man w/ bonzi.

we want guys who just finish primarily (shoot/move/cut) when they are around tmac/yao. tmac/yao will initiate plays.

if francis plays w/ them, i don't think he'll flourish b/c even in the last few games in NY, he played well when he played w/ the ball in his hands.

he can have the ball w/ the 2nd unit. the 2nd unit is very important too and francis can be the leader of that.

9. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

james is a better shooter (MUCH better). james doesn't need the ball as much b/c he can play off the ball w/ tmac and yao in 04-05.

he fits the starting lineup more. it's that simple.

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

starting games on a right, solid, note is important. Which is why i lean towards starting rafer. Why? take care of the ball, get the offense going and getting others involved early. Then use MJ/SF in the bobby jackson role at the end of games.

11. Shay

Shay Member

I agree with you that Francis mgiht be more comfortable with more responsibility in the 2nd unit but I still don't know if I want him to start or come off the bench.
    About the bolded part , T-Mac and Yao will initate plays a lot because they are our best player but iamgine other players like Francis who will create for them.
    They are our best finishers and it will make it easier for them.

12. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

but even last yr, the francis that creates needs the ball A LOT. that's the thing. if he was a pure PG, then i love it. but he's not.

13. redao

redao Member

Anyone can define the popular term : "pure" PG?

Why is it good to be a "pure" PG when our only pure PG, Alston, sucked like that?

How "pure" can it be? No offense, defense, wins, rings? just "pure" plain suckyness?

Why "pure" is better?

Is it possible an "im-pure" PG better than our "pure" PG?

14. zong

zong Member

Steve Nash, Jason Kidd, and Chris Paul are pure PGs. They are thinking a pass first, can shot the ball when it is needed (Kidd is not very good in the part), most important thing, have a court vision, knowing when the ball should be passed. Rafer was asked to be a PG, he was playing OK, but never was a pure PG.

Am I right in a certain degree?

15. SuperMarioBro

SuperMarioBro Member

Rafer Alston is neither a "pure" PG, or a "scoring" PG or any other type of legitimate PG. He is a GARBAGE PG, and he should get minutes to reflect as much.

I don't care what his assist/TO ratio looks like on paper, the guy was an absolute liability, and no good comes from him being on the floor. Maybe that will change under Adelman, but I'm not holding my breath. Both Francis and James are better than Alston in literally EVERY SINGLE aspect of the game of basketball. Yes, including passing and basketball IQ. It did not take a Steve Nash or a Jason Kidd or a Chris Paul to do what Rafer did last season, and it is an insult to the point gaurd position to classify Rafer as the same type of player as them. Most of his assists last season came immediately off of dump-ins to Yao for a hook or a turnaround, or dishes to McGrady coming off of a curl. The guy didn't create s**t.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

I understand your point but

1 If MJ is motivated and hitting his shot, Rafer is nowhere close to him.
    2 MJ is twice the defender Rafer is, even including some of his dumb fouls. He makes the opposing PG uncomfortable.
    3 In Adelman's offense, the passing abilities of the PG are less important than scoring ability. When you add passers like Tracy, (supposedly) Scola/Chuck and Yao into the equation, MJ is the much better player to start the game.

Tell you what: By the time you watch the 1st exhibition game you will see what I mean. The cumulative passing ability of the players on the floor are more important than the singular passing ability of the PG in Adelman's offense. In RA's system, the PG MUST be able to score for the offense to be most effective. MJ isn't afraid of contact and will go to the rim if left open. We all know what happens when Rafer go to the rim. MJ is the better 2 pt and 3 pt shooter. If MJ's head is on straight, you can't argue Rafer fits the team better. If JVG was still the coach and a more traditional PG was called for, it would be debatable.

17. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

For me, it all depends on one thing, does he play point or is it going to be dribble...dribble....dribble....pass with 3 seconds left on the clock or dribble....dribble....dribble...shoot.

I think he looked pretty good with Brooks on the floor running the show. We would be eaten alive by teams with large guards, but we would have a decent fast running offense.

Francis' best postition is the two. (period) :)

18. Aggie 99

Aggie 99 Member

How about a second team:

PG-Brooks
    SG-Francis
    SF-Bonzi
    PF-Scola
    C-Deke

19. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I agree. He's saying the right things, so hopefully if he comes off the bench he won't pout

20. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

because Alston is a pure point guard with average skills.

Deron Williams, Chris Paul, Steve Nash, Andre Miller...