1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

So 1994 really was a DREAM!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OTMax, Jun 11, 2013.

1. rocketsfan4

rocketsfan4 Member

Agreed. My point was just how hard Hakeem had to work at both ends of the floor, being absolutely the man in very respect.

2. DonatasFanboy

DonatasFanboy Member

Really? I guess I need to refresh my memory. I remember pretty much the opposite. I do remember Ewing having trouble with Hakeem and them going with a single smaller quicker defender on Hakeem at times (I think Charles Smith) and being very successful. And I also seem to remember doubles on Ewing. Soft doubling Ewing was smart in general, he was pretty mechanical and tunnel visioned a lot. But I haven't seen those games in a long time. It's entirely possible I'm off.

3. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

Closer to @5 years, including pre/retirement/post MJ.

4. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/AlC20j3RcXE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1 person likes this.
  5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Eh????? What??

Charles Smith being very successful at guarding Hakeem?? Charles Smith was planted in cement everytime Hakeem spun past him.

Hakeem shot 50% for the series and averaged 27 ppg despite Riley trying everyone on him.

If anyone had a chance it was Anthony Mason because of his strong base and he was using it and two hands to uproot Olajuwon. Unfortunately for Mason, Hakeem figured out that Mason was just too small and started to shoot over him.

#45 Zboy, Jun 11, 2013
    Last edited: Jun 11, 2013
    1 person likes this.
  6. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

I remember a game, '97, sitting in The Summit, MJ drove the lane and rose to dunk. Hakeem stuffed that bad baby. Game: Rockets.

1 person likes this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

we were witness

1 person likes this.
  8. xiki

xiki Contributing Member

It was one of those games I was glad #4 was in the house. There wasn't a game I didn't want #34 in the house!

9. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/qunCpYSvnqo" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Starts at about 1:00 minute in.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/TEtaiZgmUV4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Horry was a freak when he was young.

1 person likes this.
  10. iconoclastic

iconoclastic Member

Hakeem > LeBron

11. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I remember that lucky tie that Rudy was wearing. He never lost a game while wearing that tie.

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

It must have seemed like the return of a nightmare, not a dream, for Pat Riley. In the '86 Western Conference Finals, Riley's focus was to contain Hakeem. I remember seeing him write it on a blackboard during one of those moments when they let the camera crew into the Laker locker room. And here's a quote from Riles after LA lost that series, one that's well known at ClutchFans among those who've been here a while.

"We tried everything. We put four bodies on him. We helped from different angles. He's just a great player."

That's an elite coach tellin' it like it is about a second year player.

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  13. OlajuwonFan81

OlajuwonFan81 Member

Why do you think I have this signature?

14. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/JbamGd8Io9o" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Elie was sick!

15. Jacinto

Jacinto Member

Are there really people that think Duncan was better than Dream?? OT would have locked him up alone.

16. OTMax

OTMax Member

Thank you for this, didn't know that and indeed very telling for a second year pro.

17. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The first Rocket paying homage to the Rocket. Well, not Roger Clemons, but you 67'ers get the idea.

18. tinman

Supporting Member

[​IMG]