1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SNL

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Two Sandwiches, Oct 7, 2017.

1. Smokey

Smokey Contributing Member

Kate was overused - she was like in every sketch - so IMO it was time for her to go. Kate won’t be on a Mount Rushmore of SNL, but she was definitely a star of the last decade.

Pete’s contribution IMO was more behind the scenes as a writer, helping SNL connect to a younger audience.

Aidy and Kyle were strong supporting cast (Aidy more so and underrated).

Cast rotation is what makes SNL the show it is. Put in your time then go on to new things. Not sure why they allow Kenan and Cecily to hang around.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  2. xcrunner51

xcrunner51 Contributing Member

Agree about the departing members. It was overall a solid grouping. Thought Pete was one-note but as people have said the younger generation freaking loves him.

Kenan is kinda ageless. He's not any better than he was 10 years ago, not terribly worse either. He's the modern Darrell Hammond, someone they can throw in a skit at a moments notice.

Kinda surprised at how Cecily Strong's career has gone. Expected big things when she got weekend update early in her tenure. Then she lost update and never became a breakout star like McKinnon did. Thought she could have transitioned to Hollywood comedies at least to level of Kristen Wiig, but again it never happened.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  3. studogg

studogg Contributing Member

Kenan has the keys to the castle. He’s basically Lorne Jr. and waiting for him to retire. He’ll move off camera sooner or later but I’m not rushing that time. Dude is hilarious imo.

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I haven't watched SNL much at all in a long time, but Kate McKinnon in the Close Encounters sketch is one of the funniest things I have ever seen. It's probably the hardest I've ever laughed in my life.

6. Buck Turgidson