1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[SN] Pelicans must close with 'significant progress' to save Alvin Gentry

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by J.R., Mar 17, 2017.

1. J.R.

J.R. Member

Source: Pelicans must close with 'significant progress' to save coach Alvin Gentry

A league source told Sporting News that though no definite decision has been made on the future of the tandem of Gentry and general manager Dell Demps with the Pelicans, failure to secure that playoff spot (which has been all but lost) or at least to show “significant progress with this roster as it stands” likely will move the Pelicans to oust Gentry. Demps is more likely to stay, but that’s not a certainty, either.

“There’s some feeling in the front office the record being what it is, the writing is on the wall,” the source said. “Might as well make a change in April and start searching. But is that really fair? Can’t you give Dell an offseason to get some shooters, give Alvin some time to remake the offense? They’ve at least got to give this playoff spot a run and that might buy more time. That’s sort of where it stands.”

The glimmer of hope there for Gentry and Demps is that they’re not looking at a playoffs-or-bust scenario, and with good reason. There must be some leeway granted for the difficulty that has come with upending the team at the trade deadline by bringing in talented, volatile center DeMarcus Cousins to pair with star Anthony Davis inside. In nine games with the Pelicans, Cousins has had a difficult entry period, averaging 20.9 points and 42.1 percent shooting (down from 27.8 points and 45.1 percent shooting in Sacramento).

One issue in replacing Gentry could be the lack of top candidates on the coaching market now. Gentry has one more year on this contract, worth around $3.3 million, and hasn’t really gotten a chance to coach a full, healthy Pelicans team. If the Pelicans were to make a change, speculation is that the team would prefer to bring in a combination team president/coach. There are few coaches on the market who would warrant a dual job, though.

Gentry is 57-92 through nearly two seasons with the Pelicans, a tenure cut low by injuries and a mismatched roster. Demps was fortunate enough to land Cousins for a relatively cheap price, but after overseeing the snakebitten 2011 departure of Chris Paul, he’s gotten New Orleans to just one postseason appearance in his past five seasons.

Injuries and roster upheaval are legitimate reasons for the Pels’ failures, but wins and losses ultimately force decisions. For Gentry and Demps, there’s a dwindling number of games remaining to push those decisions back in their favor — and to hang onto their jobs.​

2. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Houston warmly welcomes Alvin G to Houston! Warmly welcome!

3. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Maybe the Pelicans can hire Monty Williams.

hakeem94 and Pen15clubber like this.
  4. Nook

Nook Member

The Rockets would be ALL OVER Alvin Gentry.

D'Antoni and Gentry are very close.

5. PhiSlamma15

PhiSlamma15 Member

oh ok..I was wondering why I should care gothcha ok

6. juanm34

juanm34 Member

He's as good as gone.

hakeem94 likes this.
  7. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Gentry is a great assistant, not sure if he'll ever be a great head coach. I would like to see guys Like Sam Cassell, Patrick Ewing, or a Mario Elie get a shot as a head coach. Guys who've paid dues as an assistant and just haven't had an opportunity as a head coach. The recycling of failed coaches is kind of silly.

8. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Two bigs is just the type of situation to pull JVG back in....and it's not far from Houston/family. And imo, JVG could very well be the best coach for Cousins you could find.

Ramo$e and BigMaloe like this.
  9. Pen15clubber

Pen15clubber Member

Boutta make that ass salad

10. Postpremium

Postpremium Member

Tell that to Franchise. Not sure JVG is suited for players of that ilk. Maybe he's changed, though.

11. Nook

Nook Member

It would be cool to see classic battles between the Rockets and Pelicans.

Have Mike D'Antoni grow the mustache back, seeing his pace the side lines animated with that arrogant smirk every time a three pointer is hit..... rolling out a 3 guard line up with a couple of undersized forwards with instructions that if you take a mid-range shot you are benched. Seeing 50-60 three point shots already attempted with 2 minutes left in the game.

Watching Jeff Van Gundy with huge bags under his eyes, attempting to motivate and also keep his team under control. Screaming at them every single defensive set and non stop talking to Cousins and encouraging him to hip check the hell out of Harden in the lane.

That would be great to watch!

hakeem94 likes this.
  12. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Agree. I think it was Isaiah on Simmons' podcast who said that Boogie needs a coach who will stand up to him a la Mike Malone. I imagine JVG would also finally turn AD into the defensive juggernaut that he's always had the potential to be.

You wonder who his staff would be though. Thibs and Greer in Minny, Clifford and Ewing in Charlotte, Malone in Denver... I guess Adrian Griffin? Who else?

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Didn't JVG interview for the job and Gentry got it? Pels wanting to go with the new school up-tempo offense. In fact didn't Thibs interview as well?

Maybe with the Gentry fail, the Pels will over correct and take a hard look at someone like JVG.

14. heypartner

I don't view JVG as standing up to Cousins. But rather someone who will have his back and teach him how to go to war and like it, finally. He would take all the media heat off of Cousins. And in return, Cousins might learn to trust him, and want to win for him,,,especially with all his experience with big men.

idk ... but it would be interesting to say the least.

15. heypartner

Well, the Cousins trade makes it a completely different team.

Little remembered fact: in JVG's last year, Rockets shot the 3rd most 3s in the league, and made the 2nd most, for 5th best %. And that wasn't the only year Rockets were near the top.

Also, we did have an uptempo second unit the year of Sura. JVG has made comments of embracing the new style of the NBA...and how he'd have to change. no?

16. BigMaloe

BigMaloe Contributing Member

Wasnt Mike Malone the coach boogie loved? And they played pretty decent under?

That's the coach I would go for. I'd be doing everything to keep boogie in town if I'm the pelicans.

Purchase as many shooters as possible also.

heypartner likes this.
  17. rocketman12

rocketman12 Member

I never understood why all the talking heads thought Gentry was going to be a great coach in New Orleans.

He's been to the playoffs twice as a head coach in 12 seasons. One of those was that crappy 50 game season. His career coaching record is 365-422 going into this season. That's a big track record of suckage. He may be a fine assistant but his track record as head coach is horrendous.

18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

He did. But I guess the Pels were not buying it. Maybe they give JVG another look. Certainly with Cousins & AD, I would think JVG would be very interested in seeing what he could do with that core. And Jrue at PG too.

19. DreamRun95

DreamRun95 Member

Mike Malone coaches the Nuggets now. No way in hell he goes back to New Orleans, with the roster and potential Denver has with Jokic.

I can't blame Gentry with any of this. Has not even had the chance to coach his full squad even after 2 seasons. Pelicans are cursed with injuries.

Also Dell Demps is terrible as the GM. Fires Monty Williams as head coach after they make the playoffs. Its like how the Kings fire Mike Malone as coach in Sacramento. I think these were the follow on effects of GMs following the Warriors model of firing Mark Jackson.

Yaosthirdleg likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Interesting take on situation. JVG has not coached for years though.