1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Smith Moving On Up? New GM?

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Ericstocracy, Dec 28, 2014.

1. MystikArkitect

Never realized how similar this situation would be to the Seinfeld episode where Elaine kept promoting the mail guy instead of firing him.

"He's freaking out my entire staff!"

"Well...it sounds like he's in line for another promotion then."

2. J.R.

J.R. Member

3. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

"The report that we are promoting Smith is completely false...because we're firing his ass!"

4. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

hes promoting him

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

NFL coaches need to have that sort of power with their jobs on the line as they are every single year... "They want you to cook the meal... they should at least get to shop for some of the groceries."

6. HTown_DieHard

HTown_DieHard Member

rick is the most pathetic GM in football.

7. Summer Song Giver

Quote:
    HOUSTON (FOX 26) - Houston Texans vice chairman and chief operating officer Cal McNair told FOX 26 Sports there is nothing to a report that executive vice president and general manager Rick Smith is "likely" to have an expanded role within the organization next year, with someone else brought in as GM.

"The report is absolutely not true," said Cal McNair. "He is our GM."

Jason La Canfora, of CBS Sports, reported Smith is "likely to have an expanded role in the organization in 2015, beyond football operations, with someone else taking over the GM title."

Cal McNair did not allow the story to gain momentum by going on the record and stating it is not true.

Smith is in his ninth season as general manager, adding the title of executive vice president of football operations four years ago.

He helped lead the Texans to back-to-back division titles in 2012 and 2013.

With the exception of receiver Andre Johnson, every Texans starter was acquired through the draft, trade or free agency on Smith's watch, and that includes running back Arian Foster, who was an undrafted free agent.

Also, two-time Pro Bowl center Chris Myers came to the Texans from Denver in a trade that cost Houston just a sixth-round pick in 2008.

While the Texans 2014 draft has been subjected to a lot of criticism, the rookie class from this year has been hit hard by injuries, including linebacker Jadeveon Clowney, who has missed most of the season and is out for the year.

The 2014 class does include running back Alfred Blue, a sixth-round pick, who has made a significant contribution when Foster was out injured.

Blue has rushed for 489 yards while playing in 15 games, starting three.

Another sixth-round pick from this year's draft, defensive end Jeff Pagan, worked his way into the rotation and played in 15 games.

2014 third-round pick, tight end C.J. Fiedorowicz, has played in 14 games with eight starts, and caught his first touchdown pass last week.

Reading this, you'd think Rick had done a serviceable job. He hasn't and continues to be one of management's biggest failures; but hey he remains Cal's buddy, who cares if he canr un a football team?

8. mick fry

mick fry Member

Conflicting reports emerge regarding Rick Smith’s future in Houston

Posted by Mike Florio on December 28, 2014, 1:59 PM EST

Getty Images
    ‘Tis the season for conflicting NFL reports.* One of the biggest for Sunday centers on the Houston Texans.

Jason La Canfora of CBS reports that Texans G.M. Rick Smith could be shifted to a different position in the organization, with a new G.M. arriving for 2015.* John McClain of the Houston Chronicle disputes that.

“I’ve spoken to the [four] in front office I trust the most and all shot it down,” McClain said via Twitter.* One of the four was Texans vice-chairman Cal McNair.

Speculation about Smith, who arrived in 2006 after Charley Casserly resigned, isn’t surprising, given that the team has become bereft of talent at several key positions.* And the decision to keep the No. 1 overall pick in the 2014 draft and to use it on Jadeveon Clowney currently looks like a major mistake.* But Smith also drafted J.J. Watt, which more than makes up for the possibility that Clowney will be a bust.

The wild card in Houston is coach Bill O’Brien, who has done well enough in his first year to have the ability to try to grab power and/or to get one of his guys hired.* The question is whether O’Brien would do that after only one year.

Pancakes just rubs me the wrong way. :mad:

9. Remix

Remix Member

The fact that there are even reports of Rick Smith being replaced is a good sign. Someone in the organization doesn't like him

10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

New England signed one of the candidates to a extension.

11. vinsensual

vinsensual Member

I can't liken this situation to anything but peter principle, but save us O'B1 you're our only hope.

Was Rick really made VP of football operations four years ago? Meaning at the end of that 6-10 "right track" season?

12. Spacemoth

Spacemoth Contributing Member

Pancakes said Rick Smith was staying?!

YEAHHHHH.

:grin:

13. BubbaMac

BubbaMac Contributing Member

Thats why you just let him go in front of you at the buffet line

14. rimbaud

rimbaud Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why do people keep writing (and saying in broadcast) that Blue has been a great backup? He had one good game which was negated by his season overall where he barely averaged 3 yards a carry. In general his running style was to run into people in front of him and hope to get a few yards. Maybe he can turn into something but right now I don't see him as a success for Rick Smith.

15. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I'd guess Cal is saying that to protect his own job. The only 'promotion' Rick could get would be for Mr. Mc Nair to adopt him, then he could have that 'heir apparent' job where you just sit next to daddy in the box.

16. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

I thought Cal McNair was mute I never knew he was allowed to speak.

17. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Smith is still under contract... so it makes sense to keep him with the organization in some capacity (don't worry, this "promotion" will be a figure-head title, much like Smith is already a figure-head... he'll likely just be keeping his current salary).

BOB should get to hire/work with a guy who knows exactly what his vision is... and the type of players needed. Its pretty clear that Smith/McNair should never be making those decisions (bypass Glover Quinn, sign Ed Reed, extend Schaub post-injury, extend Cushing post-injury).

18. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I get the names of all of these reporters mixed up some times, but I'm pretty La Canfora is the fantasy expert that is a hack.

He's the one who reported the Texans were meeting with Nnamdi IN HOUSTON after they signed Joseph, saying they were trying to sign both.

That meeting never happened. I even tweeted him about him and he stood by the report.

19. J Hard

J Hard Member

If you're not Black, this is a tasteless thread title.

Let me guess, Rick is Black, the moving on up Black song from the Jeffersons, hmm. No racial connotation at all there.

Low character move if not Black.

20. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

[​IMG]