1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Smells Like Teen Spirit has 150,000,000 Youtube views

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Houstunna, Apr 16, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Houstunna

Houstunna The Most Unbiased Fan
    Supporting Member

Great "stats" for a mid-90's track.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/hTWKbfoikeg" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Rock and Roll / Heavy Metal isn't my main taste, but this track crosses genres.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Can't believe how overrated Nirvana has become. I'm glad I don't wear my Nirv. shirt anymore either.

3. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

Its still a 10000x better than the other music vids with top hits on youtube though.

4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Most popular songs have stats in that range. Sorry, nostalgia notwithstanding this is meaningless observation.

5. Houstunna

Supporting Member

No doubt this track was put together well melody-wise.. lyrically and beat. Lyrics are drug infested, but you can make sense of them if you really try.. lol.

6. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Post similar stats.

I'm sure there are more and those tracks are equally "genre crossing" too.

Please enlighten us.

7. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I'm not a music editor but promotionally and aesthetically they permanently altered or at least segmented rock music.

8. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Translation: They killed **** rock.

9. Spooner

Spooner Member

Overrated? You have to be kidding.

10. LosPollosHermanos

Supporting Member

If anything I should change my stance from "has become" to "has been".

Nirvana is a great band but is always heralded as one of the GOATs by so many. As a nirvana minion when I was in my teens, I can testify to it from first hand experience.

11. thejav

thejav Member

Alice in chains>>>Nirvana..

12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I typed "coldplay" in and some paradise song has 270 million. On the sidebar there's some Adele song with 489 million; actually most of the sidebar is 100 million plus hits, including some Guetta guy with 237 million and some C. Perri chick with 163 million.

13. Hmm

Hmm Member

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/DGPbHUZQ-VE" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Can't believe people still can't let go of the fact that the last mainstream standout in music achieved the mainstream success it did with so "technically" little...

Oh, his value was only elevated because he died young.... A lot of artists have died young, up to the new millennium, mainstream ones as well... and haven't had this kind of impact...

Oh, he and his grunge ilk kept the spotlight off more deserving artists of the 90's.... How is this their fault..? To reach mainstream success, you have to reach a wide audience.... They pulled this off with a an awkward looking lanky tall bassist, a troll-ish Dave Grohl (before facial hair magically made him "sexy" to women) and as much as you could say Kurt was marketable for his looks... Yeah, he was a handsome individual, but he was short, frail/scrawny, soft spoken, introverted and constantly covered his face with his hair, which seemed to be rarely washed... Not to mention, the man was a constantly depressing sight, particularly on stage...

And I hate to break it to you "indie" elitists.... Music NEEDS unlikely and genuine standouts like this to be mainstream, whenever possible... however much their style may clash with your preferences.... Look at what we have now...

I'll always understand someone saying a band like Nirvana isn't their cup of tea.... I'll never understand someone calling them overrated... There have been superficial artists/groups prefabricated to achieve this kind of mainstream success.... and fail... Look at how these guys got there, and what they had to work with...

They're still referenced today by today's youth and today's music... even in hip hop... Obviously, their music is valid... as it reached a lot of people...

Lastly...

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  14. Houstunna

Supporting Member

You missed the point. Coldplay's Paradise came out in 2011. Every Adele track is prime for Youtube because it's brand new.

150mil for a ~'93 track is something serious.

15. Hmm

Hmm Member

From a purely technical perspective, yes.... A lot of bands were and are...

In this case, it's simple... Alice in chains had a metal lean... a genre more centered on technique... Nirvana had a punk lean... a genre more centered on expression....

16. Houstunna

Supporting Member

Many of Michael Jackson's hits blush at 150,000,000. Then again, most of his track were pre-Teen Spirit, so somewhat justified. The newer the track, the bigger Youtube "view" advantage. Simple math.

17. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

Great song, but ever since Weird Al got a hold of it, I can't help but laugh a little every time I hear it!

ENJOY !!!.....;)

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/FklUAoZ6KxY?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

18. KingLeoric

KingLeoric Member

Well deserved

19. SC1211

SC1211 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Nirvana is the most unoriginal "influential" band of all time. Super, super overrated.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/PImYNoVrsl0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

^this song was recorded in the mid 80s, I challenge any of you guys to name me a substantial difference between this and the stuff Nirvana churned out.

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!