1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Smells Like.... Good Music

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by moestavern19, Jun 10, 2003.

1. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Nirvana Song Called Best of Past 25 Years

BY CHRISTY LEMIRE, AP Entertainment Writer

NEW YORK - Here they are now, entertaining us — or at least entertaining VH1, which named Nirvana's "Smells Like Teen Spirit" the greatest song of the past quarter-century. The Seattle band's groundbreaking grunge anthem is No. 1 on VH1's list of the "100 Greatest Songs of the Past 25 Years."

The whole countdown will air over five nights, starting at 10 p.m. EDT Monday on the video music channel. The series will feature clips of videos and performances by the artists along with interviews from musicians and celebrities discussing why the songs matter.

Of "Smells Like Teen Spirit," Guns N' Roses bassist Duff McKagan (news) said: "That was really a breakthrough for a great scene that had been going on for a long time up in Seattle. And it was kind of another victory, I think, for a misunderstood music, you know. The dam broke when 'Teen Spirit' came out."

While no one performer or group dominated the countdown, which was chosen by a panel of VH1 executives, several had two songs featured.

Michael Jackson (news) had the second-highest song, "Billie Jean," and was at No. 40 with "Beat It." Eminem (news - web sites) reached No. 4 with "Lose Yourself," while his "My Name Is" was No. 85. Madonna (news - web sites)'s "Like a Virgin" was No. 10 and her "Ray of Light" was No. 100.

Rounding out the top 10 were "Sweet Child O' Mine" by Guns N' Roses, "One" by U2, "Walk This Way" by Run-D.M.C., "When Doves Cry" by Prince, "I Will Always Love You" by Whitney Houston (news) and "Every Breath You Take" by The Police.

In May 2001, VH1 picked the 100 greatest videos of all time; Jackson's "Thriller," a 17-minute mini-movie, was No. 1, but it didn't even make the list this time.

2. OmegaSupreme

OmegaSupreme Contributing Member

i'm not gonna argue with nirvana getting the nod. a lot of the songs that were mentioned are soooo different that it's hard to put them in any particular order. :)

3. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

oh please...Best song of the last 25 years?

ugh...:confused:

I could think of at least 50 better songs..

4. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Lose Yourself isn't even Eminem's 4th best song.

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

no kidding. good song and all but it shouldn't be in that list period.

6. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

Very true but it's the most mainstream and least threatening. But nice to see his genius get some props.

Looking at the rest of the top ten, I think Nirvana deserves the nod. But the top ten seems like "The most popular of all time." Here's the link

How is "Don't Speak" No.16 and "Sandman" No.88?? "Fight the Power" should be in the top 5.

#6 derrock, Jun 11, 2003
    Last edited: Jun 10, 2003
  7. NYKRule

NYKRule Member

Yeah, they completely butchered this list (Hanson?). Enter Sandman should be ahead of a lot of these (Missy Elliot - Work It??!?). I find it funny that "Time of Your Life" made it from Green Day. Green Day is my favorite band, but that song really isn't close to almost anything on Dookie. Mainstream, mainstream, mainstream.

8. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

November Rain is as good or better than Sweet Child Of Mine.

It's my #1 in the past 25.

9. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Billie Jean shoulda been #1 baby!

10. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

I think Madonna should be in there like four or five more times.