1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    The NBA Draft is here! Come join Clutch in the ClutchFans Room Wednesday night at 6:30pm CT as we host the live online NBA Draft Watch Party. Who will the Rockets select at #3?

NBA Draft - LIVE!

Smashing Pumpkins vs Nirvana

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by moestavern19, Jan 7, 2011.

?

Nirvana vs Pumpkins

Poll closed Jan 14, 2011.
  1. Nirvana

58.2%
  2. Smashing Pumpkins

41.8%
  1. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Great album. I would also recommend Dinosaur Jr. - 'Green Mind' and / or 'Where you Been'

2. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

looks promising

[​IMG]

3. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

Late to the thread but wanted to add a quote from the great Lou Reed...

"If it has more than three chords, it's jazz."

:p

Have to go with the Pumpkins

1 person likes this.
  4. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

Me too......I didn't get Nirvana at all. Then I saw Pearl Jam in Nacogdoches and a few weeks later, I caught Nirvana in Houston. Between club shows and big time concerts, my attendance at music shows certainly numbers in the four digits. Nirvana remains one of the best shows I've ever seen.

Love me some pumpkins, but that experience remains with me. I prefer Nirvana.

#64 Pole, Oct 5, 2011
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2011
  5. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

With the 20th anniversary of Nevermind, Sirius XM had a channel dedicated to Nirvana last week. They had a forum with Dave Grohl and Krist Novoselic. Dave was talking about the days before Nevermind really hit big. Someone had told him that they were going to be huge with this album. He said his first thought was "Holy s***! We're going to be as big as Sonic Youth!"

6. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

I like Alice and Chains,listening to the Unplugged album as I type this.

7. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

alice in chains oops

8. kidcave9

kidcave9 Contributing Member

<object style="height: 390px; width: 640px"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/tfslY_AvhLw?version=3"><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"><param name="allowScriptAccess" value="always"><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/tfslY_AvhLw?version=3" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowfullscreen="true" allowScriptAccess="always" width="640" height="360"></object>

9. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Daydream Nation, Sister, EVOL, and Murray Street

10. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

i always liked some STP during this era. Nirvana was my favorite band during the early 90s with Drain you as my favorite song. Then late 90s it was a mix between Rage against the machine and self.

11. Shrimz

Shrimz Member

Cobain had an ego? What?

12. jo mama

jo mama Contributing Member

if billy had killed himself after siamese dream he would be a rock n' roll legend/golden god. but instead he started wearing silver pants and acting like a scary goth vampire and making s***y music.

it looked at the time that nirvana was going to break up, but i think cobain would have still been doing good stuff.

i liked nirvana, but i wasnt a die-hard fan. i saw them at the astroarena in late 93 and they were a really f***ing good live band. i went to see the breeders, but i dont even remember their set.

the only time i ever fell asleep at a concert was when i saw the smashing pumpkins.

13. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

All I know is "You Know You're Right" is a great song.

14. mlwoo

mlwoo Contributing Member

Nirvana. If you go beyond their singles, there is a lot of depth. They made the three-chord garage rock very melodic, while still keeping it stripped down enough to be considered too poppy.

From the Muddy Banks of the Wishkah is one of my favorite albums of all time. Great live stuff.

And then there is Unplugged, which I believe elevated Nirvana higher than any other band they are compared to.

15. VanityHalfBlack

My favorite smashing pumpkin song...
    <iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/xmUZ6nCFNoU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

16. digitalbreach

digitalbreach Member

polls closed but I pick the Pumpkins.

they had me at Tonight Tonight

17. cson

cson Contributing Member

me too and me too! This is where Nirvana sealed the deal for me!

18. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

This is the same show I was at.........bunch of old farts around here.

19. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Too bad the great music was ruined by an offensive singing voice. Sorta like Rush. Had those 2 bands been able to find singers that weren't like nails on a chalkboard, they'd be held in a lot higher regard than they are. Not that they're struggling, but it would have vaulted them to a higher level.

20. JamesJoseph13

JamesJoseph13 New Member

hit and miss singles? Corgan isn't a lyricist? are you ****ing KIDDING me? Every Nirvana song sounds the same. If thats your idea of anthemic then you have a bland taste in music. The pumpkins experimented with different sounds, Jimmy Chamberlin is nothing short of an artist with sound. Just listen to Siamese Dream start to finish. The first 4 seconds of Cherub Rock are better then anything David Grohl ever **** out for Nirvana. Pumpkins destroy Nirvana musically, and its a mindless dick rider like you that clouds up the fact that Nirvana wasn't even that good. And even James Iha was a better guitarist then Cobain. And if you wanna compare him to Corgan? I'm laughing. Compare the Smells Like Teen Spirit solo with the Geek USA or even his Song for a Son solo...**** outta here

1 person likes this.