1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Smartphones

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by theWIGMAN, Jan 29, 2009.

1. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

Smartphone newbie here. I upgraded to my first smartphone (a Tmobile Dash) a few months ago for wifi because I was suddenly spending a lot of time at the med ctr and needed an email/internet device. Didn't know I could do all kinds of cool stuff with the phone. For example, I'm now running Nintendo, SuperNintendo, and SegaGenesis emu's. There are utilities to overclock the phone's weak CPU on-demand to help with the game play. The phone didn't come with internal GPS, but I have Garmin turn-by-turn voice navigation running on it while paired with an external bluetooth GPS receiver. I've also upgraded to a hacked Windows Mobile 6.1 OS which has made the phone more useful (like now I can use a larger capacity SDHC storage card for mp3's, roms, Garmin maps, & assorted media). Recently, I discovered the joys of using Microsoft Voice Command and Live Search (which also employs voice input).

Needless to say, I'm pretty geeked about my first smartphone and wondering what cool stuff you can do with other possibly better, more powerful smartphones like the iPhone, Blackberries, and such. So name your smartphone and list some neat stuff you're doing with it or some cool/useful/fun app that you're running on it (include hacks too -- especially if they make your smartphone better/more useful). Also, list some things your phone can't do that you wish it could do. For instance, I wish my little Tmobile Dash had internal GPS, accelerometer, faster CPU, more memory, and a large touch screen.

2. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Is this the "I wish I had AT&T with an iPhone 3g" thread? ;)

I wanted a Samsung Blackjack II for a while... but I'm still sportin' the semi-smart phone W810i.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

I have a touch diamond, but I'm lusting for a touch hd. /greedy

Use the email, GPS and Opera heavily. Can tether, mp3s and movies, watch youtube, check stock, weather, gas prices, read news.

I'm pretty much wired to the Matrix 24/7.

There's a pedometer and spedometer app to show you how fast you're going. Another app allows you to use the phone as a computer mouse like a wii mote.

Novelty wears off for a while.

Can't wait for that bigger screen...

4. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

Sort of ...

... as in the iPhone 3g comes close to what I'd want in my idea of the "perfect" smartphone, but it still falls a bit short, especially now that I've gotten used to having realtime turn-by-turn voice Navigation, and I still prefer real as opposed to virtual keypad.

5. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Yeah. My phone has Opera for the web, a gmail app for email, the appt. calendar, phone and address, etc... and it's a solid phone...

I wish it had a qwerty sometimes, and a gps nav would be cool.

I think the Blackjack II has that stuff.

6. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

How about the rumor of a so-called HTC Touch HD "pro" w/full Qwerty keypad? ... How I'd like to get my paws on that if it's for real.

7. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

i've got the htc fuze and it is a cool little phone. ATTs extra apps slow it down a bit but i havent cleared them off because i may just get a bold.

the fuze is a nice phone though and i love the keyboard. If you are real techy and looking to mod it more, it seems like a good phone to do so.

8. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

BlackJack II

other than the web (youtube is awesome), I use the GPS most. Downloaded google maps, and its awesome. I had a few trips this summer, and the GPS/google maps combo was great. Its not quite as good as turn-by-turn directions (which is available through AT&T for a monthly charge), but its pretty awesome.

The gmail app wouldn't work, so I set up gmail through the blackjack, and its good except that when I send email with the BJ, it sends each message twice. So I am always a little hesitant to send email with it.

9. Invisible Fan

http://wmpoweruser.com/?p=2373
    Rhodium and the Tungsten....drool
    Dunno why they continue to leave out that 3.5mm jack.

The Rhodium and Tungsten devices in CDMA and HSDPA versions appear to be the long awaited HTC Touch HD Pro. Of note is that there does not appear to be a 3.5 mm headphone jack on the device. The Touch Pro followed the Touch Diamond only by a few months, which suggests the HTC Touch HD Pro devices are also likely to come out very soon, making it another possible Mobile World Congress announcement.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

10. Lady_Di

Lady_Di Contributing Member

Well, I'm shopping for a new phone, BB Curve or G1.

My sidekick LX has installed instant messaging clients, t-mobile email, a feature to get your e-mail but i don't use it because it's not worth it, some okay games & applications, and a IP-Relay application (only reason why i'm sticking to this device until now. Now AIM has IP-Relay so I can do away with this phone!).

That's it.

This device is overrated.

11. v3.0

v3.0 Contributing Member

That's the cool thing about Windows Mobile phones, they're totally hackable and you can do alot of programming that you can't with Iphones or Blackberry phones.

12. wakkoman

wakkoman Contributing Member

The XDA forums are great for customizing windows mobile phones.

So much development for those phones.

13. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Just got my Samsung Instinct 2 days ago, been messing around with it today. I hacked into it pretty easily and enabled it as a modem. Thats gonna be really nice for when I'm sitting out at work where we only have a crappy 28.8kbps dial up connection. Hook that sucker up to my laptop and actually be able to watch youtube videos.

The GPS navigation on this phone is really great as well, it functions about like a normal GPS, with voice commands, live traffic updates and where to eat, get the cheapest gas, etc.

14. theWIGMAN

theWIGMAN Member

That is a bother considering the Touch HD itself does have the 3.5mm Jack. Not a deal-breaker as there's a 3rd party adapter for it, but still perplexing why it ain't built in. Otherwise, my gosh, those HD Pro's are gonna rock!

15. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I believe your the one that caused me to look up that phone, and then buy it online.

I've since moved on to a Blackberry curve. I love it. I loved the Sony one too, but I wanted the qwerty.

16. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Blackberry Bold

Have not put any apps on it, but I have a 16 gb card with 4 movies and tons of music

17. Chopped

Chopped Member

yay another touch diamond user. you have gsm or cdma version?

18. Invisible Fan

^CDMA on Sprint.

19. Chopped

Chopped Member

:cool: gsm here.

< more baller.

20. Xenochimera

Xenochimera Contributing Member

nokia e71..just ordered one for $300 without contract. has wifi, built in GPS, awesome web browser, 3.2 MP camera and steel body if these things are important to you...currently supports 8GB SD cards but the upcoming firmware is expected to allow support of up to 16GB SD cards. great battery life, looks sleek, and some what unique, most people are using either blackberries or iphones.

Cons:
    small full QWERTY keypad, i dont have huge fingers but this took a while to get adjusted to. no firmware yet, not a huge problem but this phone got a lot of potential and its being wasted right now. GPS kinda sucks compared to an actual GPS, but the blackberry i used didnt exactly have great GPS either. it also uses some weird headphone jack...

If you got cash laying around buy the sony xperia. its hands down the best smart phone i have ever tried bar none. retails at $800 though.