1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Smartphones: Sprint vs. Verizon

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Clutch, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Scionxa

Scionxa Member

Clutch. If your phone is rooted, download "Roamcontrol" by Mr. Greg in the marketplace.
    It allows you to force roam onto Verizon, which is free on Sprint. Just don't do it excessively (800+ minutes a month)

2. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Member

I have the Droid Incredible with Verizon and love it.

If I were in your position to buy a phone, I'd probably get the Droid Incredible HD which I heard is coming out in the next month or two. In any case, I am very satisfied with my phone and my service. Always go with Verizon. :)

3. Scionxa

Scionxa Member

He already went with Sprint lol
    yeah, no argument Verizon has awesome coverage. I have nothing but bad things to say about T-Mobile.

Verizon is launching their 4g soon. LTE is better than WI-Max. Not only is Clearwire broke and begging Sprint for more cash, but their spectrum is at 2.5 ghz meanwhile verizon 4g lte will be 700 mhz. In other words, Verizons 4g signal will penetrate buildings alot better than Clear/ Sprint does

4. YaosDirtyStache

Wait, clearwire/sprint are butt buddies in business?

5. Scionxa

Scionxa Member

Sprint owns 51% of Clearwire.

Comcast, Time Warner Cable, Intel, Google, and Bright House Networks own the rest of it.

Clearwire is asking all the investors for more money. Comcast already said no, and I think everyone will follow suit.

Sprint and Clear are becoming enemies despite the fact Sprint owns them. If you have Sprint and have an EVO or an Epic. That "PREMIUM DATA" fee isn't because of Premium data. Clear expects about $5 for every 4g device that has the ability to use the Clear network, even if you don't live in a 4g city.

Sprint is basically passing along the cost but they're disputing with Clear over it.

1 person likes this.
  6. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Member

I love Sprint. You can't beat their prices, their coverage is great, their networks aren't overcrowded and their support is awesome. It doesn't hurt that I get a 25% corporate discount either though. I joined them in October 2008 and I've slowly migrated family over since then, and we all love it.

I have AT&T on my iPad and had previous iPhones, you couldn't pay me to go back to them... even my iPad speeds are horrible.

7. Scionxa

Scionxa Member

I left AT&T for Sprint. It has better 3g coverage that's for sure. Especially when I'm driving through crappy redneck towns lol, plus being able to roam for free on Verizon seals the deal.

I'm not a big fan of Wi-Max though and I see Sprint eventually settling for LTE

8. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Member

By the way, if you bank through a Credit Union Sprint gives you 10% off. They also have corporate rates with just about every company on the planet, which gives you 18%-25% off.

I don't even work for the company I got mine with anymore, and they don't care. They even gave family members my same 25% discount that I have, when they don't live with me, aren't on my plan and certainly never worked for the company I was working for.

9. Svpernaut

Svpernaut Member

Oh, and Sprint's insurance plan rocks. For $7 a month you get a new phone for FREE if you break yours (like run over it with a car, drop it, etc). If you lose it or drop it in water or a pool, you have to pay the $55 deductible, but that's more than half of what T-Mobile charges.

10. Scionxa

Scionxa Member

Only bad thing I can find about Sprint is being a CDMA carrier which sucks if you travel internationally since GSM dominates the world market, and their 4g

11. ubigred

ubigred Member

EVO> any thing verizon has
    Sprint > Verizon
    WiMax > LTE

12. parmesh

parmesh Member

Verizon has great service, but their software support is pathetic and inexcusible. I have the Fascinate which is THE BEST phone on the market right now hardware wise, and still no Froyo...

13. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

i hate all these carriers have limited data usage... so long are the days of unlimited data......

14. DieHard Rocket

I'm quite sure that the major carriers offer unlimited data as well as limited data plans. Not sure where you are getting this from.

15. Royals Ego

Royals Ego Member

only sprint has unlimited 4g, their 3g is capped at 5gb
    t-mobile will reduce your speeds after 5gb

do you have links to their unlimited data plans?

16. AMS

AMS Member

While sprint may have capped its 3g, it isnt enforced. I hit 11 gb a few months ago.

(Use your phone primarily as a router, and you will be surprised how quickly the data adds up)

17. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

correction, the cap is only for their cell modems. I recently upgraded an ancient PC card cell modem for a USB one, adn was informed that the modems dont come with unlimited data.

The data plan on my Evo is unlimited.

18. Scionxa

Scionxa Member

Lte is better if you know anything about frequency spectrum.

19. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

This will be irrelevant in 3-4 years once everyone is on LTE.

20. Scionxa

Scionxa Member

Explain. .
    GSM and cdma can use lte but I've never heard of lte being voice related,just data.

In u.s.a there's cdma, iden, and gsm.