1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Smartphones: Sprint vs. Verizon

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Clutch, Sep 3, 2010.

1. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Member

My plan with sprint is 69.99 plus 10 for 4g, unlimited cell to cell, data, text, 450 mins to landlines. If you're still doing the 99 thing, you should switch, just sayin'. The only difference is the landline minutes.

heh, landlines. :rolleyes:

2. Baqui99

Baqui99 Member

No love for the Palm Pre? I've had mine for about a year now. Huge fan of Web OS.

3. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Member

I almost forgot about the "New SERO".... Everything Plus is ten bucks cheaper/month with 50 more minutes. Corporate discounts generally can't be applied, though it doesn't hurt to try if you know a rep.

link: delivery.sprint.com/m/p/nxt/epc/epclanding.asp
    Email: russ.s.mcguire@sprint.com
    Last 3 digits of employee ID: 383

Russ McGuire is the VP of Strategy who put that info in his blog , so he definitely doesn't mind.

Here's a FAQ:
    http://delivery.sprint.com/m/p/nxt/epc/EPRP-modal.asp?vanity=false&popup=true

It's now a 20 dollar difference (plus 4G) without even going through the hassle of negotiating perks and discount. You will have to order online or through phone. I would try "save50" for an online code. If it doesn't work you could ask outright asking the sales rep for a 100 dollar signup credit if you call them. You're asking for the commission retailers normally get and hoping to get some of it.

Sprint used to spoil you if you managed to tolerate their customer service wait times...

2 people like this.
  4. Smokey

Smokey Member

Tell me more. I'm thinking about buying a new Verizon phone. Should I hold off?

I have a Blackberry from my employer and I'm allowed to upgrade at my own cost. Since the Blackberry is a pos and the phone will pay for itself in a few months, I'm looking at the Droid.

I wanted to wait for the iPhone in January, but I don't think I can wait....I can wait for Verizon 4G if it's really happening.

5. Dave2000

Dave2000 Member

nothing much more to say, Verizon is pushing the Android devices as their main phones, they've released what, 5 of them in the past 4 months (Incredible, Ally, Droid X, Droid 2, and Samsung Fascinate next week). According to the leaked Roadmap

http://www.boygeniusreport.com/2010/08/09/exclusive-verizon-wireless-20102011-roadmap/

looks like there are going to be probably 3-4 more before the end of the year. If the past few years serves well, expect a new Android phone before the holidays, since the Storm came out 2 years ago in Nov, Droid/Storm2 last year, so its safe to say another one is coming out this fall/winter.

As for 4G, its being tested already in Boston and Minnesota with a public rollout at the end of the year to about 30-40 markets. The 4G network will be completed by the end of 2012 where its going to be as large as our 3G network

With the iPhone rumors to Verizon, I'll believe it when I see it. IMO, Verizon will get it eventually, its just question of when. Its been rumored for a year and a half now and thats all its been, a rumor.

6. Hak34

Hak34 Member

Evo for the win!!!

Cheaper plan
    4g up and running
    1.3 mp front facing camera
    Already running 2.2 most definitely will get 3.0 sooner than x
    No worries if you want to root your phone like with Motorola
    Mobile hotspot for 8 devices

Only noticeable flaws
    30 fps cap not sure if Droid x has
    Color compared to galaxy s line and iPhone 4 not as good.

Or if you definitely want Verizon just wait 2 months and get the soon to be released Verizon version of the evo.

7. Astrosfan183

Astrosfan183 Member

Anyone know anything about the Samsung Fascinate? It apparently comes out next week on Verizon. I've been wanting a Droid X for a little while now and finally have the extra money to spend to get it, but if the Fascinate is going to be a better phone then I'd rather go with that.

8. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Member

I heard T-Mobiles version of the Samsung Galaxy was pretty good. Anybody have it?

9. TopsDrop

TopsDrop Member

Sprint, HTC Evo FTW

10. Xenon

Xenon Member

Yes. Love WebOS here. WebOS 2.0 has been released to developers. Hopefully we get some new hardware soon to go along with it.

11. ubigred

ubigred Member

Sprint for the win! Sprint is on par with Verizon within Greater Houston. Im out here in Rosenberg and I still say its on par with Verizon . I had Verizon from 2002-2006. Since 2006 till now I have had 7 dropped calls. 7 dropped calls in 4 1/2 years is great imo.

As far as phones go... the discussion starts and ends with the HTC EVO. 4G is icing on the cake. Calls and data at the same time is way better than gsm (att/tmobile).

You cant go wrong with Sprint, coupled with the best phone hands down = HTC EVO 4G

12. tinman

tinman Member
    Supporting Member

been with sprint forever. i have a htc hero right now. i've been happy with it.
    sprint customer service has been ok.

wish they had the iphone, but i can't complain, the service has been good.

13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

This is the phone I would suggest. If its 4G, i just might bite the bullet and get it.
    If you're banking on 4g, my opinion is that wimax/clearwire is overrated. If you can wait, Vzw's LTE is the better bet. Again, there is no definite time table when a 4G VZW phone will hit the market, but I believe VZW is certainly going to cut to the chase and put one out sooner than later.

14. Dave2000

Dave2000 Member

Its an "ok" phone. If you've had Samsung Smartphones before like their Omnia, its essentially the same, just on the Android platform. They have their own HTC Sense UI skin called Touch Wiz, which isn't bad, but makes it too iPhone-esque for my taste.

The screen is beautiful, Super AMOLED, but I hear the battery life is horrible.

Droid-life.com put out an unboxing video yesterday

<object width="640" height="385"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/OERn1ocBsC4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/OERn1ocBsC4?fs=1&amp;hl=en_US" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="640" height="385"></embed></object>

Its a good phone, but Motorola or HTC's Android phones are my preference.

VZW's 4G plans are pretty nice, here's what they have explained in their website

http://aboutus.vzw.com/rural/Overview.html

I wouldn't bank on a 4G PDA phone anytime soon, I'm pretty sure they are going to launch Mifis/USB modems first to see how the 4G network can withstand on data cards, improve the network, then release 4G PDAs. Thats what they did with they upgraded their 3G/EvDO network to EvDO Rev. A 2-3 years ago.

EDIT: Well look what we have here.....

http://www.engadget.com/2010/09/04/htcs-dual-mode-cdma-gsm-android-slider-hits-the-fcc-decked-out/

[​IMG]

a World Edition Droid by HTC with keyboard, looks 4/4.3 inch and maybe rumored 1.3 ghz processor.

#54 Dave2000, Sep 5, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 5, 2010
  15. ubigred

ubigred Member

Screen looks to be 3.7 inches.

16. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Member

If it only had the 4g radio chip, it would be my perfect phone. Im digging the physical keyboard, large screen and dual mode.

And deploying their entire 4g network strictly on the 700mhz band ... very nice. My only concern is the penetration on the fringe.

17. Dave2000

Dave2000 Member

u must have some master skills by knowing the size of the screen by looking at a jpeg amazing!!!! :grin:

looks bigger than a 3.7, a keyboard that wide out wouldn't be on a 3.7 screen

18. B

B Member

My wife and I are both very happy with our Sprint EVO phones. It's been great reading Clutchfans on the way to work, watching videos, going to Flash websites (after the Froyo update). The camera and video are impressive for a cell phone as well. 4G coverage seems to work in the areas I use it most (on the bus) and I seem to have a much better data signal inside my work building downtown (most people with AT&T/Verizon have to go to the window, I can still get 3G data from my desk).

19. JeopardE

JeopardE Member

I'm waiting for the new Palm phone that most people expect to be released around October/November. It should have a dual core CPU (likely OMAP 4), a 4G radio and a high resolution screen (supposedly like 960x480), plus all the other standard goodies, and it will have WebOS 2.0 which I can't wait to get my hands on. Until then, my Palm Pre does just fine, especially with the 1GHz kernel and tons of patches I have on it.

WebOS rocks. It's the only reason I haven't jumped ship and gotten an Evo.

20. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Member

Will not let go of my Palm Pre.