1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Smartphones: Sprint vs. Verizon

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Clutch, Sep 3, 2010.

1. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

I don't use a cellphone that much. I've been using PagePlus cellular (1200 minutes, 1200 texts, $30/month) for a long time and if you don't use data, it's terrific (uses Verizon network).

I've finally decided I'll need a smartphone this year, but I can't seem to pull the trigger after spending a lot of time researching. I once had T-Mobile, but the reception was terrible at my house (Verizon had no such problems) so I initially wanted to stick with Verizon. I had decided to go with the Droid X on Verizon but couldn't get my hands on one before going on vacation, and when I got back, a guy at Best Buy (who I didn't think was trying to "sell" me) really highlighted the features of Sprint and the HTC Evo.

Both phones look great (as well as the Samsung Epic 4G that just came out on Sprint), but Sprint just has the better monthly package/price.

Verizon - 450 minutes and unlimited text/data, $89.99/month
    Sprint - 450 minutes and unlimited text/data (plus unlimited calls to any mobile phone), $69.99/month + $10/month for 4G​

For about $10 less a month on Sprint, you get the ability to make more calls (unlimited calls to any mobile, nights start at 7pm) and get the 4G service (for whatever that is worth). I can say from experience though that Verizon's network is outstanding (at least for calls, don't know on data).

It looks like Amazon is the best way to get phones (no tax, free shipping), but I don't really care about the initial cost of the phone as much as I wish I could get in on some of those discounts that are available to employees of many companies.

So I just had a couple of questions:

- Can anyone speak from experience with a Droid X on Verizon or one of the two 4G phones on Sprint? Happy/unhappy with their service?

- Are there ways for Joe Schmo off the street to get discounts on the monthly costs that I should be aware of?

Thanks!

2. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Member

Sprint, Evo, you won't be disappointed.

3. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks tmoney... I assume you have the Evo on Sprint. Have you had many problems with dropped calls or no data coverage?

4. Lil Pun

Lil Pun Member

I have 4 friends with the Droid X and they absolutely love it. I won't lie, after trying their phones out I would take one over the iPhone 4 if it were available on AT&T.

EDIT:

I have a couple of friends on Sprint although they don't have the smartphones you mentioned they seem to complain a lot about coverage issues with regular phones and I know coverage is a lot more important with smartphones, well any phone really. They basically stick with Sprint because it is the cheapest.

Please remember, I live in NE Arkansas and not the Houston or Texas area.

5. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Been with Sprint for 3 years now, can't say I've had any complaints at all.

6. Nero

Nero Member

Well, I have had my EVO for about 3 weeks now and so far I cannot find any weaknesses in it. Even battery life is ok if you don't wastefully leave all the bells and whistles turned on all the time.. (Seriously, why leave GPS turned on while you are sitting at your desk at work? Not using data? Turn the 4G off. Not driving around? Turn off the GPS. Simple stuff like this makes the batter last as long as you are used to on any other phone)

Everything about it has been a pure pleasure. Highly recommended.

As for discounts, maybe your workplace has some kind of discount with them, mine does. Doesn't hurt to ask.

EVO = awesome.

ps - go to Sam's to get the phone, and you won't have to fiddle with mail-in rebates - they will give you the after-rebate price right there.

7. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

I have the Droid X and love, love it. The new 2.2 Froyo update that is coming in a week or two will make the phone much faster. I have not had one drop call with Verizon for over 2 years now. I had AT&T and could not deal with the dropped calls. The internet is pretty fast. Next year Verizon will have 4G and will have all over Houston. Not like Sprint that advertises the 4G but you will not get 4G coverage but at a few areas in Houston.

The phones you mentioned are pretty close in comparison. I like the Droid X case the feel of the phone. The "bump" on the top back where the camera is perfect for my big hands. Makes it feel like I won't drop the phone. The phone comes with 8GB and a 24GB card so 32 GB space total.

8. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Member

The 4g is a little sketchy in buildings(I connect to wifi when i can) but I love the phone. I haven't had any problems and the people I know who also have the phone seem to love it too. I would tell you a flaw if I could think of one.

Edit- also, Clutch, if you ever get tired of making great websites and tons of money, I know the waiters a Chili's get a 10% discount with Sprint. ;)

#8 tmoney1101, Sep 3, 2010
    Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  9. Turbo

Turbo Member

I don't know about Verizon, but if you're a member of credit union, you can get a modest discount from the monthly charges via the <a href="http://www.lovemycreditunion.org/Sprint_169.html">Love My Credit Union</a> website if you sign up w/ Sprint - that's the only thing I know of though..

10. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

Honestly I would recommend going to the store and touching and feeling both. The customizable widgets is different on each phone was well. I like that I can make custom short cuts on the Droid X and expand them in size and shape. I had to go with dependability since I received important calls daily and travel a lot. Verizon has better coverage nationwide and internationally.

11. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks Lil Pun, moes... appreciate it.

Thanks, Nero. I had read about the battery life issues and good to know that's resolved with a few settings changes. How has the Sprint service (dropped calls, data) been for you?

It looks like Amazon is the same way, and you won't have to pay tax or shipping either. I'm even finding some of the phones that cost at some places are $0.01 at Amazon (like the LG Rumor Touch and the Samsung Moment). For example, the Epic 4G is $250 after rebate I think at Sprint, but it's $199.99 straight out at Amazon.

12. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Member
    Supporting Member

buddy of mine has an evo and loves it. He did mention you can get extended battery life by shutting down nonused apps

13. Honey Bear

Honey Bear Member

I have the Samsung Epic 4G on Sprint. Chose it over the Droid and IPhone at the time of purchase, but it's battery life is poor and does tend to have glitches if I don't use a task manager.

Sometimes I feel you think too much, Clutch. Just have a couple shots of Absynth, throw your inhibitions to the wind, and go with your gut. They're all great phones and like your first child, you will grow to love them despite ambivalent emotions at the onset.

14. htownrox1

htownrox1 Member

A friend of mine has the HTC Evo, and he absolutely loves it.. It's got everything he needs and more. He can get on twitter super fast and it works great, he can download different apps that are great for him.

Overall its everything you need for a Rocket fan. :grin:

15. Clutch

Clutch Administrator
    Staff Member

Thanks... didn't know much about Verizon's 4G plans, but I'm assuming the Droid X wouldn't be able to use the 4G (though I may be wrong).

Thank you, Mr. Turbo :) Even if it's a small discount, I'll have to hit up a credit union because I hate paying near $100 for a phone line.

I've been to stores and have played with both phones. I'm sure from a functionality standpoint that I'd be happy with either of the Droid X or Evo, but just wanted to make sure they work well out there on their respective networks.

16. tmoney1101

tmoney1101 Member

I bought my Evo from tha Shack :cool: and all the rebates were done in-store, walked out for 199. Also I've been with sprint for 9 years and have only had a handful of dropped calls the whole time.

17. wakkoman

wakkoman Member

So... does this make it more likely we get CFans in a nice mobile format? :)

18. AMS

AMS Member

Get Sprint, their Data service is amazing.

And if if if if by any chance the network is horrible at your house and you aren't getting service, then call em up and yell at them and they will give you a free femtocell that will use your internet to enhance the network in your home.

http://www.informationweek.com/blog...l;jsessionid=AXCUQDYFVTSX3QE1GHOSKH4ATMY32JVN

ATT/Verizon charge like 50-100 dollars a month for this.

And I would recommend the Epic over the evo if you email a lot. The touch screen on the Evo is nice, but having a keyboard is crucial.

19. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

Correct the Droid X will not be 4G compatible.

20. RocketRick

RocketRick Member

That would be nice. :eek: