1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Small Forward Problem?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by sums41, Dec 12, 2003.

1. sums41

sums41 Contributing Member

This might be the dumbest thread ever, so i apologize in advance, but has anyone noticed that neither Jim Jackson or Pike have really earned their minutes, pike just came in from the injured list and was the second player coming off the bench. While Jim Jackson hasn't played that well either, I think that nachbar deserves some of those minutes, and just shuting him down like that will slow him down even more, dont get me wrong I like pike and jim, but have they really earned their minutes?

2. edwardc

edwardc Member

give boki more time

3. Dennis2112

Dennis2112 Contributing Member

JJ is no Rashard Lewis but he is all we could ask for a SF. He rebounds, passes, defends, and scores as needed but neither needs the ball nor requires it to be affective.

Pike was brought here to be 3-pt threat is just rounding into form after the injury.

Boki will groe into a decent player but stills needs some work.

4. Sane

Sane Member

I made a comment during the preseason that we lack athletic F's, and that it would come back to haunt us. I think we're seeing a bit of that now.

JJ is too small to be a SF, and MoT is a tad bit undersized in the West. Anyone in the mold of Darius Miles, Chris Bosh, or Rasheed Wallace would have a field day against us.

I think JJ is best suited to the 6th man role, and Pike should get mroe minutes at the 2. Boki should get off the bench more often as well, but I don't know how we can do that when he was shooting a bit poorly.

5. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

JJ shooting percentage is starting to become a major drag.

6. thomp1141

thomp1141 Member

I would absolutly love for someone to help me out here. Why is everyone who posts here so patient with Boki? Mind you, I live in Indiana, so I only get to see nationally televised games, but he seems to be pretty unproductive. Are practices televised in Texas so that everyone can see he secret brillance? All I hear is that he has a good shot. Ok, fine. So does Pike, GRice, and 250 other players in the league. What makes him so special that we should be so patient with him while most other people are so quickly crucified on this BBS? Even though I carry a fairly sarcastic tone, I am honestly curious as to why everyone thinks he is the Second Comming. Is it simply because of the Euro craze, that since Dirk, Peja, Gasol, etc... are being successfull that he will as well, simply cuz he is Euro? Just an honest, curious question.

7. DearRock

DearRock Contributing Member

Yes I am repeating myself but for my money I would have stayed with Posey, Hawk and Tmo. Occasionally I would have played EG and MoT there. JJ and co is no improvement to me.They are undersized, they cannot pass, slash, cut or finish. So far it looks like a monumental error on the part of JVG and CD.

8. sums41

He has the skills to put up numbers similar to those of pike and jim jackson, but the only thing he needs is confidence, and a chance to play, whenever he played he didn't play like the next peja, but he did hustle, and sometimes he hustles more than pike and jim jackson together, and that is the kind of player that needs to be on the court, the reason everyone in houston wants to see him is because of the little playing time he has gotten, and i guess everyone is curious to see what he will do if given the chance to play in a regular basis, the main problem here is that he hasnt gotten the time to develop on the court, we want to see if he can come around, but the only way that we will see that is by him playing on a regular basis.

9. thomp1141

thomp1141 Member

I understand that people want to see if he can come around, but why so patient with him and not others? For example, Terrence Morris. While he did struggle with his shot his first year, it improved greatly in his second in the limited time he got. Granted Boki probably a better shooter, but in terms of overall contribution, I would have to give the nod to TMo, who also played hard when given the chance. Plus, he only cost 1M for 2 years. Where was his time to develop? Why so patient with Nachbar?

10. sums41

Tmo would have been a nice player to have, he went through what nachbar is going through now, i think Tmo will come back to the NBA and be a solid player, i personally don't want to see what happened to Tmo to happen to nachbar, both are good players who deserve an opportunity to succed.

11. Life2Def

Life2Def Member

All I got to say is that the rockets are sure missing posey right about now

12. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

Not really, I wouldnt pay that price tag for what posey produces, and I truly believe that our 3 headed dragon(jax, Boki, Piatkowski...with maybi AG comin along) can overcome this weakness

13. nyquil82

nyquil82 Contributing Member

do we still have our draft picks next year?

i would consider getting some forwards out of college or from abroad.

14. Nova

Nova Member

I would've kept TMo.. Hawk maybe not so much, but definitely TMo. He was rounding out to be a nice player and his jumpshot was much much improved. Plus he could spot at the 4 if needed and he was a pretty good blocker/defender. I could never figure out why they let him go. I'm starting to think Boki might not be worth keeping around for a long time.. truth be told I would rather have TMo than Boki.. I was never really that high on him. JJ is doing just fine for us at sf, Pike is just coming back from injury so can't really say much about him yet.

15. bigballerj

bigballerj Member

We gave Utah our 1st rounder for Man-boobs :mad:

16. vcchlw

vcchlw Contributing Member

You mean more playing time or more time to develop?:rolleyes:

17. WinkFan

WinkFan Contributing Member

Jim Jackson does a decent jobe defensively, but his passing and rebounding are no better than average, and his brutal shooting is a significant part of our offensive futility.

Pike is a shooter who is shooting 40%.

Boki is decent defensively, but all he's got on offense is a decent 3pt shot. A lot of people really like him because he hasn't played that much yet.

18. Charvo

Charvo Member

I think the dumpage of Terrence Morris from the team is a damning statement of how Steve Francis cannot make his teammates better. Steve Francis lobbied for Terrence to be drafted because he was teammates with him in Maryland. Steve had the motivation to want Terrence playing well. Steve couldn't do it. They could have easily spent time after practices in the gym working on plays with each other. Terrence is now playing in the NBDL.

19. Charvo

Charvo Member

It was a conditional 1st rounder in 2004. This is why it is horrendous to have garbage contracts. Rockets had to ask the Jazz to take on Glen Rice's contract. In exchange, the Rockets gave them a 1st rounder. This is going to happen next year when the Rockets ask the expansion team Bobcats to take Maurice, Cato, or Moochie. They'll take the 2005 1st rounder from the Rockets.

20. Charvo

Charvo Member

Piatkowski is like Matt Maloney. If he can't shoot, he shouldn't be on the court. The same thing goes for Padgett and Boki.