1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Small Church's Obama Sign Causes Big Controversy

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Zac D, Apr 22, 2008.

1. bucket

bucket Member

And for all of the right-wing churches out there that get involved in political campaigns. If you think fundies spend too much time pretending to be victims now, just wait and see what would happen if those laws were enforced.

2. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

Little People, Big World...

3. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.

Even when someone agrees with you, you manage to be a complete ass about it.

Seriously, can you turn it off for once? Civility my man, pass it on.

4. Achilleus

Achilleus Member

http://www.wltx.com/news/story.aspx?storyid=61230

Osama-Obama Sign Removed From Church

JONESVILLE, S.C. (WSPA, WLTX) -- A sign that caused heated arguments outside of a church in Jonesville has been taken down.

Last week, Pastor Roger Byrd of Jonesville Church of God put the sign up which reads "Obama Osama Humm Are They Brothers?" Today, the sign was taken down.

Pastor Byrd said the sign was not meant to be racial or political but rather to make people think. "His name is so close to Osama I feeling might be Islamic therefore he doesn't recognize Christ," Pastor Byrd said.

Barack attends Trinity United Church of Christ in Chicago."

Eugunia Foster is offended by the church sign. "I'm embarrassed and hurt. I'm surprised a small town like Jonesville still has this separation. It is racial and hatred," Foster said.

Pastor Byrd told WSPA-TV he would ask his congregation to vote on whether to keep the sign. They voted unanimously to keep the sign up Sunday night.

Jonesville Church of God does not have any African American members.

WSPA says that thus far, attempts to reach the church on the reasons that the sign was removed has been unsuccessful.

Over 400 comments were posted on wltx.com since we first posted this story on Monday.

Jonesville is a town of about 1,000 people in northwestern South Carolina near the North Carolina line.

5. Baqui99

Baqui99 Contributing Member

So I did some searching, and I found some pictures of the Jonesboro Church's congregation:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is really sad - just goes to show you that America isn't ready for a Black president and stereotyping, hate, and ignorance still exists on a mass scale.

I don't think it's a coincidence that white rural voters aren't voting for a black candidate. It's not that Obama is an elistist, let's call a spade a spade, he's black and exit polls show that his race hurt him amongst white rural voters.

The only way dems can win the nomination is if Obama and Clinton combine tickets at this point.

I think what they should do is split the presidency so that Obama gets the first 4 years, Clinton the next 8 years, and Obama the final 4 years.

They could control the white house for 16 years, can you imagine that? I think it would be great for the country. I think republicans fear it. And i just wish these two would stop fighting and start realizing the possibilities and historical opportunity that exists.

If Obama wants to really reach people and evoke change he must realize he can't do it without Clinton. And Clinton must realize that she can not bring the nation together without Obama. The need to share the ticket.

7. thumbs

thumbs Contributing Member

Churches should be allowed to espouse their congregation's political beliefs freely but at the forfeiture of their tax exempt status.

8. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

Gawd this is such typical nonsense from an Obama supporter. Going to the race card to explain why Obama is weak in rural areas? Weak. Are you aware that he INSULTED rural voters about 2 weeks ago? Think that might have anything to do with their voting patterns? Or how about the fact that rural voters tend to be more conservative than urban voters? Obviously, since Obama is about as lefty as they come, this is another point that impacts rural voting. Furthermore, it is insulting to rural people to claim that they are racists. That thought probably never crossed your mind though...

...I guess it's just easier to blame race...

9. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

LOL if anybody is voting based on race it's the blacks. 92% of blacks in PA voted for Obama. Based on what I've seen anecdotally, many of them don't even know jack squat about the issues, they're just voting because Obama is half-black. Not that is sad.

10. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

omg, now black people are ignorant of issues, but you're not playing the race card?

11. bigtexxx

No, I'm countering Sweet Lou's race card yank

12. bucket

bucket Member

Are you still going to claim you aren't a racist?

13. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

This 'calling people a racist' trend is just pathetic. It's like you can't even criticize a black person without this coming up.

14. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

your boy implied black voters are ignorant of issues, claiming he has found this information to be true as if he's done some research LOL

15. bigtexxx

Correct. I am not a racist. People who vote for or against a candidate solely based on race could be considered racist. I look at issues, not skin color

16. Beck

Beck Contributing Member

except that you used skin color to single out a group of people that "don't know jack squat" about issues. There are plenty of people from each race that don't know "jack squat about issues".

To call Obama "black" is just stupid. One of his grandparents is "white". He is as "white" as he is "black". If "blacks" were voting purely on race, why would they vote for someone who is part "whte"?

17. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

the hilarious thing is these guys are another thread bragging about the republican attack machine getting voters to vote on swift boat tatics LOLOL

18. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Don't overreact. An anecdote of bias against Obama in one small Southern town doesn't exactly represent a "mass scale." The fact he leads in the popular vote right now would actually suggest the stereotyping, hate and ignorance can't be too bad.

I also wouldn't blame too heavily on rural voters either, when he also seems to struggle for votes with blue-collar urban white voters. I think much of his trouble with rural whites is more complicated than just his race. He's also perceived to be too liberal, of a higher social class than Clinton (and the rural white voters), Northern, biased toward cities, from an elite educational background (Clinton may have a good education as well, but it's not stressed like Obama's; and frankly, it's not as good). I think it plays on a prejudice against a perceived outsider, but it is not all on race.

19. El_Conquistador

Supporting Member

Actually he's in 2nd place to Hillary in the popular vote.

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member