1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Small Businesses are about to get hit by a freight train

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by justtxyank, Apr 29, 2013.

1. giddyup

giddyup Contributing Member

It is my impression that most small companies only pay for the EE share of the cost. So it is good the the Business might have some remedy for increased costs there but what about the dependent coverage that is more-and-more being passed through to the EE to pay for at 100% rate?

I've been out of that industry for a few years now but I hope j'yank might comment on that aspect.

2. Anticope

Anticope Member

Is there any way to calculate how much premium costs will be driven up due to right wing paranoia?

3. thadeus

thadeus Contributing Member

Obamacare is meaningless without price controls. Controlling the cost is the only way to reign this in.

My only hope is that it really is a slippery slope to a single payer system.

4. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

This isn't actually true but I know you won't believe me until you see it not working so I'll save the argument until the SHOP exchanges actually get put on line by the feds.

5. justtxyank

This has been my argument all along.

People have completely missed the target on healthcare reform, going after the insurance industry with the belief that they were the ones driving costs up and that they were making unfair profits. The MLR regulation that requires insurance companies to spend X percentage of your premium dollars on claims was a total dud as it turned out the insurance companies were already at the mark (basically, within a percent).

Obamacare is not controlling for the real issue. In fact, the CPT code replacement will drive costs UP over the next few years. The tax on DME that was supposed to provide funding was going to drive costs up, but now it got yanked out which only hurts funding.

The only part of Obamacare that will start to reduce costs is the outcome research program that is being done in order to ration care later on when the single payer system finally comes.

6. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

All this just to try to maintain the role of useless and expensive insurance company middlemen.

I wonder how long the ACA will allow these bloodsuckers to hang on to our health care dollars. I predict about 10 max years before the demand for national healthcare starts gaining big time momentum.

The insurance company middlemen can always game any system they are part of.

7. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

To control the cost, you have reduce someone's income. Which group(s) do you want to reduce? Doctors? Hospitals? Nurses and other healthcare workers? Drug companies? Insurance companies? Nothing real will get done until the system is about to collapse.

8. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Do you have medical insurance?

IF so, then why are you giving your money to these 'blood-sucking middlemen'? They must be offering you something you value.

9. bucket

bucket Member

Something which could be more efficiently provided by a single-payer system.

10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

It's always been my assumption that the ACA is merely intended to lubricate the wheels for national healthcare. Convolute the system even more than it already is. President Obama and his leadership realized that they couldn't get the reform they were seeking in one sweeping blow, so they decided to loosen it up with a few body shots first.

Hilary Clinton will finish the job sometime in her second term.

1 person likes this.
  11. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The credit has been around for a couple of years now (35%, but going to 50% in 2014). Problem is the full credit is only available if you have 25 or fewer full-time equivalent employees, and their average wage is $25,000 or less. Phase-out is 26-50 employees and $25k-$50k. On top of that, the credit is limited by the state's average premium, that has been less than the amount paid by most of my small business clients. Not many small businesses qualify.

I'm not entirely up to date on the exchanges and what not, but my thought is, if employees qualify for discounted premiums/credits based on their income, it may be better to let them get their own plans.

I'm sure I'll be doing plenty of CPE before the year is out to get caught up on the law.

12. glynch

Poor tallanover.:p -- another Fox News victim.

I'll tell Tallnover a little real story. Years ago when I had a job with the state of Wisconsin, the HR guy gave me two choices for term life insurance of the same payout. Big Insurance Co and the State of Wisconsin Fund. Both paid out the same on death. The State Fund was cheaper. I asked: "Why?". The guy said: " well they don't have the overhead-- the profit, advertising etc. and the guys who run it are state employees a few floors up and don' t make nearly what insurance company execs do."

Sorry for those looking for a deal. It was,and I assume still is, available only for Wisconsin residents-- though without advertising many residents did not know about it.

13. justtxyank

You nailed it on the tax credit. It is very difficult to actually qualify for it as a small business. As for individuals getting subsidies, it's also going to be difficult for anyone in the middle class to qualify as it begins reducing and then ultimately going away at 400% of federal poverty level. (Not that much money folks!)

Also, the individual mandate has a donut hole that was unforeseen by the administration (and unrealized by many Americans) that is going to allow a lot of people in the 100-150k income bracket to avoid the mandate to buy as well as the fine. This is due to the people who wrote the law not understanding cost and what the law would do to cost. The new rules on pre-x will make it easy for those people to completely cheat the system by not participating until they are sick.

14. justtxyank

My term life policy is dirt cheap and is through a private company.

Everybody has a problem with things costing them something and other people making "too much money" off their product. It sure will suck when it's you they decide makes too much.

15. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

you didn't answer my question. You just spat out some pathetic, inaccurate insult. Also your generic trash talk makes no sense, since all I did was ask you a simple question.

I am assuming you have medical insurance (even before Obamacare forced you to have it). Why do/did you have it? What where these 'blood-sucking middlemen' offering you that you couldn't get without them?

16. Classic

Classic Member

Sigh...
    Great article on the subject.

17. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

I think we all know what the solution is. Boycott any business that cuts employees or hours or complains publicly about Obamacare. They are part of the 1% and exploit their employees. They must be punished. We need an enemies list.

18. glynch

I have always assumed the opposite. It is the last attempt to keep the insurance companies taking their cut. It won't work, just like the previous system was not working for a growing and perhaps soon to be majority of folks-- between the approximately 50 million uninsured and those who frequently can't afford to use their existing insurance due to copays and other charges.

We just can't afford the increased overhead of the insurance middle men and the incentives to inflate costs.

19. justtxyank

Sorry, missed your post. Yeah, most small businesses only pay EE costs. The new pricing structure is going to be a nightmare for families with multiple children as well, as the current system gave you a flat rate regardless of number of children. The new system allows the insurance company to charge you a rate per child under the age of 18 (may be capped at 3?) and then a full employee charge per dependent over 18.

So this whole idea that keeping your kids on through age 26 was a benefit is about to get flipped as they are going to be cost prohibitive.

20. justtxyank

First, the 50 million uninsured is a false number as it implies they didn't have access to affordable care and it isn't true. There is a significant number that couldn't get affordable care due to employment situations and pre-x, but it is nowhere near 50 million. The majority of that 50 million were eligible for medicaid and or medicare and simply not participating due to ignorance of their eligibility or they were people simply choosing not to pay for health insurance.

I also lol at the idea that people can't afford copays. What system is it that you think is going to cost people less than $25 or $30 or so to go see a doctor? Will a single payer system make all healthcare free including no taxes?

Edit: The advantage of the single payer system is the ability to drive down costs, not the bogus notion that suddenly people won't have copays.