1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SLR Camera for Indoor Photography

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Zboy, Feb 3, 2010.

Tags:
  1. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

I am not really liking the 1.8 prime, that's why I am going for the 1.4 - the glass is much better on it and it's made with a lot better build than the 1.8. :cool: I will look at those L series zoom or prime like you say.

2. Sajan

Sajan Member

ya the build on the 1.8 is really cheap. people like it because of the cost vs. performance ratio is so good.

3. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Ok, so I am really torn between Pentax k-x, Canon XS, and Canon XSi.

Pentax k-x: Like Legendz3, people rave about its high ISO. Another thing people rave about is the ability to use old lenses on the Pentax k-x. It also has the ability to capture video. My two concerns about the Pentax k-x are the price (it is about $750) and that it is not as popular choice a choice as the Canon, which could translate into weaker product support and lower resale value?

Canon XS: Very nicely priced at $550. I would need to invest in EF 50mm f/1.8 II lens ($100). Supposedly its a very good lens for about $100 and can be used for indoor subject photography. A soft bounce flash (??) was also recommnded to me. With the lens and flash upgrade, it will be around $800.

so, Canon XS or Pentax k-x ?????!! :confused: :confused:

Canon XSi: Priced at about $650. Higher resolution (~12 MP vs ~10 MP compared to XS) and some other minor feature upgrades. Is the higher resolution worth it?

4. SwoLy-D

:eek: YES. It is worth it, sir. I am not sure if you're looking at cost only, or the features, but the XS has a 2.5" LCD panel while the XSi has a 3" one (that's what SHE said). I would say get the XSi.

Don't know why they moved "DOWN" to the 10 mp; that was a bad move on Canon's part. :confused:

Comparison of CANON EOS Digital Cameras - read this, very informative - remember, the XS was released AFTER the XSi.

EDIT: the XS does NOT have a movie mode and the XSi does.

#24 SwoLy-D, Feb 4, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 4, 2010
  5. LFE171

LFE171 Member

Wow, you're in the same boat as me. I have a nifty fifty and my buddy has the 1.4. I gotta tell ya...it's a pretty big difference in quality. Yeah, you won't see the bokeh/blur much of a difference, but shooting in lowlight is BADASS with the 1.4. The 1.8 is a little "stupid" and hunts, but the 1.4 and the USM makes it totally worth it.

Get a used copy for $300, that's how much my buddy paid for his. I'm gonna try and get one soon.

6. tested911

tested911 Member

How does this work since they are a out of state company.

1. How long does it take to get your lens rental.
    2. Do they pay for shipping it back?
    3. How was the quality of the lenses you have rented?
    4. Was there ever a case where they accused you of damaging there product?

I would love to rent some lenses instead of forking over 2K

7. SwoLy-D

In Houston - "light-tech" - it's in the Southwest. :eek: my brother has rented there many times. It's on Bissonnet.

8. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Got myself Lumix GF1 . A great 4/3rds camera with interchangeable lens. Very compact and good for carrying it around with you. Takes pretty good pictures too.

9. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

If you want. Do your own research on dpreview .

10. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

12 MP vs 10 MP doesn't really matter much. Only if you're printing. I mean most good camera picture will look the same when you scale it down to fit into facebook, your own personal pictures on your computer or whatever. Best is to get a camera that can also shoot raw pretty good. You can always amazingly tweak your photo with a raw file.

1 person likes this.
  11. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Here's the GF1 on Flickr . Try using Flickr and check out how the pictures turn out on the camera you're interested in.

12. SwoLy-D

What's with the QUADRUPLE posting, Cowboy_Bebop? :p

By comparison, again, [a really good photograph] does not really depend 100% on what camera model is . :eek:

13. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Or a really good photo-shopper...But if I had the money I would love me a Mark II.

14. conquistador#11

I think any SLR will do, but you need the strobe to go along with it. I would go with the nikond40 and the SB400. It's cheaper than the SB600 and unless you have 30 ft ceilings, it will bounce off just fine.

15. Prince

Prince Member

excerpt from a photography book i got.

16. SwoLy-D

^^ Well done, sir. :eek:

Again, not 100%. It might be 10% to 20%, but then you start trusting that with THAT camera you'll do wonders, you forget about how well you can take photos. The "leveling the playing field" is a good point, too.

Commander Mark always said "DRAW DRAW DRAW, practice your drawing..." and so that's what I do with the camera: I practice. Except, I don't draw, I PRACTICE taking photos. :)

17. Sajan

Sajan Member

i think it's 2 day air with ups. i just pick the day i want it..and it's here on or before that day.

25 for shipping covers both ways.

lens quality was great. no complaints.

not yet, i just add on insurance for 10 bucks more.

18. Sajan

Sajan Member

any link or address? couldnt find them on google. maybe i am tripping..

19. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Sorry to revisit this thread but I need some feedback once again.

I have been doing more research and I am really really liking the Nikon D90. It's more expensive than Canon XSi and even the Canon T1i but from all that I have been reading, it seems that the price difference is worth it in terms of picture quality.

Anyone here using this camera? Is the price/performance-image quality ratio justified for spending more $$ on D90?

I am also considering the Canon EOS 7D but if I can get everything I need from the D90, then I don't want to spend extra $$ on 7D. I am leaning towards using the extra $$ to buy some really nice lens for the D90.

#39 Zboy, Feb 7, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 7, 2010
  20. SwoLy-D

Sorry, dude. I meant "Light Tec", and they're on Gulfton in the Southwest. I hadn't been there in a long time. http://www.lighttec.com/contact.html

:eek: Just go with your gut, ZBoy... you'll be happy with your choice if you've done enough research. If you're doing entry level, I don't know why you should go to the D7, but the T1i should be good for beginner to intermediate. I thought the D7 would be very expensive and have a bit too much of a learning curve for a gadget, or at least for me. I wouldn't pay over $1000 for my entry-level stuff... maybe later.