1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

SLR Camera for Indoor Photography

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Zboy, Feb 3, 2010.

Tags:
  1. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

I need recommendations for a SLR camera which performs nicely in indoor environment (for my toddler's photo collection). Of course it has to be capable outdoors too. My budget is anywhere from $500-$1500. I am a novice but I have intentions of learning more about photography.

Any recommendatons based on user experience? Is it worth it to get a used one to learn and then upgrade later?

2. Prince

Prince Member

Canon for indoors. Check t1i at buydig.com, 899 and comes with 2 sets of lens, 18-55 and 55-250. lots of extras too, like battery, bag and filters.

1 person likes this.
  3. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

If you know how to set up shots manually and don't want to leave it on "auto" all the time, then get an SLR, not a point-and-shoot.

The major difference between the T1i and its predecessor is the ability to record movies in HD (1080i format). I don't know if that's what you'll need, but it's nice to have. As a step down from the T1i, the XSi and the Xs might be good enough.

I recommend the Canon XSi or the XS (on sale now at Worst Buy or other retailers). It's the lower end of the EOS system. It's much cheaper than the T1i, and will do what you're looking for.

The good thing about buying a certain brand is that you can share accessories like flashes, lenses, etc., so take that also into consideration.

So if you know someone with an SLR and lenses and such things, ask them what they think (not necessarily to share, but their opinion).
    YES. :cool:

1 person likes this.
  4. tested911

tested911 Member

Hmmm Canon or Nikon...

I'm a Canon man so if your going to get a DSLR you must get the Nifty Fift 1.8 50mm lens. Cheap as hell and great bokeh...

$500 - $1500 is a big difference... If your willing to wait a month there should be some good deals because of the recent PMA (http://www.pmai.org/pma2010_home.aspx) show in Southern Cali..

7D - Nice Photo/Video combination - Might be a little more than your price range but the Video HELPS especially with little ones.

50D- I have this camera and absolutely love it.

T1i - High end Entry level camera with Video

It gets expensive with Lenses,Light equipment,Battery, Memory card.. But it's a fun hobby :)

Oh and please visit DPreview.com great site for Digital Photography..

1 person likes this.
  5. Prince

Prince Member

exactly why I got the t1i over xsi. I like the HD feature, but I only use the 720p cuz 1080 sucks when filming a moving object.

6. LegendZ3

LegendZ3 Contributing Member

For the best bang of your bucks in entry level DSLR, you should look at Pentax k-x. Very rigid body, none of that plastic crap in entry level canon or nikon. Also the k-x does very well in high iso comparing to other entry level dslrs. It's essential in shooting in low light condition like the indoor environments. You would also need a high aperture lens to go with your camera for better looking photos in low light condition.

Here are some photos I took with my k-x in a museum:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

#6 LegendZ3, Feb 3, 2010
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2010
    1 person likes this.
  7. SwoLy-D

Prince, I'd like to press the "would you like to know more?" button on your assessment of why it's better to shoot 720P.

Please ellaborate, kind sir.
    Jeez, man. :( Nobody bashed your "Pentax" like you did our Canons.

;)

I believe that 90% of a great shot depends on WHO is taking it. :eek:

8. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Thanks for the suggestions, and a good starting point for research, everyone.

I consider myself Ariza.

Which is why I want to nail the 10% part.

1 person likes this.
  9. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Someone is offering a used Canon XS for $325. Decent deal?

10. Prince

Prince Member

720 has more fps.

11. pgsxdjp

pgsxdjp Member

Glad to see a Pentax shooter here...

As far as the OP, I would go with a D90, one of the better low light performers with APS-C sensor.

12. DreamRoxCoogFan

not to derail the thread, but does anyone have a good recommendation for a nikon lens for weddings. I read the suggestion of the 50mm 1.8, and it seems like a good deal. Im not looking to spend a ton, but I'm wondering if i should spend the extra 200/300$ and go for the 1.4 af or afs

13. SwoLy-D

Darn it. I forgot. It says it on the manual and I've read it. They recommend recording 720 if the "jaggies" problem happens. :eek: I apologize. I should have known that before asking. I still shoot in 1080, though... I don't know why I am just enjoying that more than 720p. Thanks for the response.

The Canon 1.8 50mm is not really good. I'd go with the Canon 1.4 but it's a bit more expensive... for Nikon, I am not sure. They DO have a 1.4, too in the same range as the Canon one, DreamRoxCoogFan.

14. RedRedemption

RedRedemption Contributing Member

Sorry, but when I read the title I could have sworn it said "SLR Camera for Indoor p*rnography". :p

15. Sajan

Sajan Member

• 1920 x 1080 (1080P, 16:9) @ 20 fps
    • 1280 x 720 (720P, 16:9) @ 30 fps
    • 640 x 480 (4:3) @ 30 fps
    • Quicktime MOV format (H.264 video,linear PCM audio)
    • Up to 29 min 59 sec (or max file size 4 GB)

hope that helps.

btw i have the XSi. very good camera. wish it had HD video to shoot some clips here and there. I got the speedlite flash 430ex II. a must have for bounce flash indoors.
    [​IMG]

i just have the kit lens for now (18-55) which is decent at best. i rented the 50mm and while it's a really sharp lens it's a lil hard to shoot indoors on a crop camera such as the xsi, t1i etc.

i heard the 17-55 F2.8 is good but next week I am going to try the 24-70 F2.8 and see how I like it. the lens is over $1200 so it's worth to try before I buy.

tips:
    --focuses on lenses, not the body. bodies come and go, lenses u can use on any of them.

--get an external flash

--learn what aperture, shutter speed and iso does to your pictures (it's managing these settings that give u the picture u want). shoot in one of the manual modes such as Av, Tv, M etc. if ur gonna do auto, might as well keep ur regular camera.

1 person likes this.
  16. Prince

Prince Member

Great pics. Where do you go to rent lens in Houston?

17. famicom

famicom Member

I hear the flash will be your biggest factor for indoor pictures, so I would focus more on getting a good flash

18. Sajan

Sajan Member

i use www.lensrentals.com

p.s. not my pic. i dont have a kid and she certainly wouldnt be white. more indiany.. ;)

19. SwoLy-D

The 430 or 580 can be expensive. I recommend a 220 EX (uses TTL), from the same family as the ones before. It's about $100 anywhere. :eek:

If you DO get a nice flash, also get a diffuser so your light isn't very harsh on people's faces.
    I am a BOUNCE FLASH guy myself. I don't shoot straight onto people's faces and don't like harsh lighting or hot spots.

I have the Canon T1i with the following accessories:

AC Adapter by Opteka (use AC instead of battery)
    Battery grip from Opteka (uses 2 regular Canon batteries, I have an extra Opteka one)
    580 EXII
    Battery adapter for 580 by Opteka
    430 EXII
    Speedlite ST-E2 (goes on hotshoe, fires off the 580 and 430 with infrared)
    Opteka Remote Control for Canon (infrared shutter on most EOS models)
    EFS 55-250 with IS lens
    EF 50mm 1.8
    stock EFS 18-55

I'm thinking about getting the Canon 1.4 50MM USM next. I know I want that for an even better performance in low-light. After that, it might be something in the L series. :cool:

20. Sajan

Sajan Member

if u already have the 1.8 50mm just keep that and go for a L series prime or zoom.