1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Slow the hell down, you left happiness behind.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Ehsan, Jul 13, 2008.

Tags:
  1. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

This is a rant. I was debating this with a friend earlier. Here's my stance:

Where the hell are we going? Why do businesses have to be so efficient? Why does everything have to be on time? If all the banks stop sending and receiving money tomorrow, what would happen?

What I'm getting at is SO WHAT? The way we live today (yes, even you) is driven by someone who wanted to make more money. So he/she invented set timings. Then efficiency. Then body corporates. THen more money was needed to make money. So corporations were born. But the root of it all is money for someone else. So we enter this thing because they have raised the standards and, well, we need to keep up with the prices. So then we enter their world. To live happily, have a family, eat, sleep, etc.. So we need money now. But who has all the money? The peopel who want to make tons of money.

I don't know if what I'm saying is clear. But our life (most of us anyway) as we know it is a result of greed for money. EVERYTHING. Every McD's burger, every french fry, every hollywood movie. Once upon a time the world was pretty fair. Sure, there were crazy people ruling the world, but the parity in lifestyle was not so great. Because the snowball known as wealth has made those people who didn't care about money poorer.

Adam Smith screwed us. There are more poor people today than before when numbers are adjusted for GDP, inflation, etc.. Even if we cant determine that, I guarantee you one thing: there are less happy people in the world today per capita. It's not even close. There are so many miserable people.

This is what happens when you put your foot on the pedal, the engine gets overworked if you have no limits. Where is the limit? Are we ever going to say "Ok, we're good, now it's time to think about happiness rather than efficiency."

At which point in time did the world stop giving a damn about being human?

As a race, we need to chill the F out and go back to basics a little bit. If Judgement day is coming (my belief) and it can't be moved, then what are we aiming for? Where is the world headed? When do we say "Alright, overall the world is developing wonderfully, now let's help the people who were left behind." But that's not going to happen. Money is the most merciless enemy - it will tear down forrests, kill people in wars, rip off decent people, end marriages, destroy families and dry out oil wells. That's not what worries me. What worries me is that when I ask "till when?" I know the answer... There is no end. It will just keep going. So since I'll only be a part of it for another 40-50 years, I've decided to enjoy it the right way. I'm going to be with someone I love being with, spend lots of time with my family, and use what I've learned within this world as well as my advatageous position in this world currently to do what makes me happy and I don't care who has to lose money for me to do it.

I spent my life thinking that people who go off and live in a secluded place are not right in the head. But I kind of understand now. I'm not going to take that route exactly, but I get it. It's the ratio that's important, not the amount. It's not the size of the salary, but what you have to give up to get that salary. It's also about what that salary can buy you that truly makes you happy. Beleive me, a Maserati makes me happy. A mansion makes me happy. I won't deny that. But there are things that come before.

Enjoy this list of countries and tell me what stands out to you about the people closer to the top versus the people closer to the bottom:

Happiest Places in the World

I know, I know. Everyone goes through this. But I think everyone SHOULD go through this and they do for a reason. They go through it till their arms are twisted back into what we call "reality". Pffft. Reality my ass. Everyone should do what makes them happy and to each his/her own. But find out what makes you happy before the world programs you to assume what makes you happy.

2. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Somebody's been taking acid.

3. Major

Major Member

This is something that more and more researchers are looking into - quality of life tends to measured in accounting terms, but the reality is much more complicated. Much of it is based on expectations. In many dirt poor areas of 3rd world countries, the people have no food, limited shelter, etc. Yet, you give a kid a ratty, used tennis ball, and he or she can be as happy as anyone for 6 hours. Here, you give a kid an XBox360 and he might get bored of a game in 3 hours.

The idea is to somehow measure happiness in terms of something besides "how much stuff do we have". There was a recent study that came out that put Denmark at the top of the list - a big part of it was simply having low expectations.

Similiarly, there's some research out there that suggests people that get arranged marriages end up happier than those who get love marriages - simply because of the initial expectations. With arranged, the people have relatively low expectations and grow to love each other and exceed them. With love marriages, people have the highest expectations possible, so the marriage tends to either match or fall short of those expectations.

It's interesting research - and of course, there's no right or wrong answer, but it's an interesting counterargument to the American way of living, where happiness in the moment tends to be put aside quite a bit for efficiency and money-making.

4. mc mark

mc mark Contributing Member

not that there's anything wrong with that...

:D

5. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

The Bolded Section is kind of the solution and problem
    People worry only about their own happiness
    Capitalism is about competition . . inherent in capitalistic thought is
    EVERYONE CANNOT BE HAPPY
    [Not enough to go around]
    SO . . .we compete for OUR PORTION . . and if someone else has to get short changed. . well . .*****'em . . better them than me!!1

You have been programed VIA TV ETC
    to be consumers. . consuming MAKES YOU HAPPY
    is the mentality that is programmed in to us . . .

so that is why the NICE CAR or NICE HOUSE makes you happy

Ehsan - These are some Questions to contemplate.
    1. Does a Maserati make you happier than a Focus?
    If so . . .Why?
    What does a Maserati give you that a Focus does not?

Alot of our HAPPY comes from other people
    Maserati gives us Status . . .makes people look at you with a envy . . in a way that says your existance means something . .that you are something good
    we are all seeking this .. . DESPERATELY . . .
    The means to get it . . .well that is that efficiency etc you talking about
    Money is a MEANS to something . . that something is status, influence, good feelings

Rocket River

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

that is very interesting

Rocket River

7. lpbman

lpbman Member

I'm not usually one for posting song lyrics but I thought this one was particularly fitting.

It's a mistery to me
    we have a greed
    with which we have agreed

You think you have to want
    more than you need
    until you have it all you won't be free

society, you're a crazy breed
    I hope you're not lonely without me

When you want more than you have
    you think you need
    and when you think more than you want
    your thoughts begin to bleed

I think I need to find a bigger place
    'cos when you have more than you think
    you need more space

society, you're a crazy breed
    society, crazy and deep

there's those thinking more or less less is more
    but if less is more how you're keeping score?
    Means for every point you make
    your level drops
    kinda like its starting from the top
    you can't do that...

As for some sort of contribution to the thread.... I think the only way in which money can bring happiness is from the time it can grant you. If you live your life trying to make money I don't think that's going make you happy no matter how much you make. However if you use your wealth to spend time with your family and doing the things you like to do, which is a luxury most of us can't afford, I can see how money can bring you happyiness.

8. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I 'm not going to lie, I don't read much but the best thing i ever read in college was philosopher jacques rousseau, theory of natural man

its basic premise is once we left the forest, we screwed ourselves, when you think about it, its the same thing with the story of creation, God gave us everything we needed to survive, but we wanted knowledge and now we need salvation, because its the only true happiness

its all about a state of mind, you really can't let the drive for better and bigger things cloud your judgement about what's really valuable in this world, enjoy the good times with family and friends

9. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

Ignorance = Bliss.

The dumber and more uninformed you are to the world around you and all its misery, the easier it is to glide around with that smile.

Case in point, has anyone ever noticed GWB looking at all depressed? No.

10. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

I think the original post was the OP trying to say

"I strongly oppose capitalism"

but he just couldn't work out how to summarise.

I must I absolutely agree. The world is screwed and I think alot of people realise it but apathy rules the day.

11. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

and may I add -

we should be making love not money.

I cant think of the song but I like what Treach raps in a NBN song when he lyricises

"I make money, but the money don't make me"

12. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I totally understand your rant, Ehsan. The society we live in today is so far removed from that I grew up in during the 1950's and that of the '60's and '70's. Yes, we have all this incredible technology, and I'm a science fiction nut, grew up in a household with a technology department chair as a father, and have always been fascinated by it, but I see my kids being increasingly detached from what I consider important in life. They don't get on the phone and simply talk to people. They text or use g-mail. It's almost like having an actual conversation is somehow "uncool." Go out and lay in the shade at a park, watch the birds and butterflies, the people having fun, dogs chasing a frisbie, even go fishing? I have to drag them to a park. My 17 year old son will act like he's having a root canal the whole time. At least my younger daughter will enjoy it once we are there.

For all the groovy things we have now that we didn't have "back in the day," in my opinion we are living a less enjoyable life in many, many ways. It disturbs me.

Impeach Bush/Nixon... I mean Cheney.

13. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Contrary to popular beleif
    Parents cannot mold their kids into what they will become
    Parents can only stand as the gate keepers to try and help filter the crap thrown their kids way

8 hours a day they goto schools where they are influenced by other kids
    to think in various ways
    Then
    they come home to the TV that will tell them more

We have a very low tolerance for discomfort
    being outside is TOO HOT . . .or TOO COLD . .or TOO NOT THE EVEN TEMP
    Exersion is frowned upon

It is not the Technology . .. it is what we do with it.

I mean . . i know it is the little things
    It is our utmost desire to not be 'bothered'
    It is a bit of consumerism . . and CONTROL ISSUES

Have you notice how much OTHER PEOPLE bother us
    If you review alot of what people complain about. . it is PEOPLE
    Hate when they talk in the theater . .or smell .. or 'don't get the movie' [DVDs]
    Hate that they jog the opposite way we do . .or too slow. . or too fast. .or too close to me. . . [Tradmills]
    hate how people cheat at games. .or are better than me at it . .or not a challenge to me. . . [Insert video games - one player]

Our tolerance level of other people is very low
    we are more and more PREFERRING to be alone
    because alone . .. we have complete control

Rocket River
    . . ok I have alot of things I think contribute to this type of life

14. Hmm

Hmm Member

well.. guilty as charged..

but for me.. it's nothing to do with any intolerance towards their day to day trivialities. .. it's the very fact I can so keenly detect their great human/humane potential.. all the while so glaringly see them.. from start to finish just..shrug it away.. and be so.. apparently.. contently oblivious afterwards.. to the loss..

15. Ehsan

Ehsan Member

Look I'm not suggesting we go back to being cavemen and women. I am not a huge fan of nature. I do love a Maserati.

Rocketriver,

There is a difference between a Focus and a Maserati for me. But it's on'y recently that I've been able to filter out the stuff you talked about and now I realize that if I have excess money and I've done my duty to society, I'd rather be in a Maserati than a Focus - simply because I love speed, acceleration, and the sound of the car.

I'm somewhere in between. I want to appreciate human productivity in the form of technology, etc... But I don't want to sell my sould for it and I don't want to get that stuff while not giving a damn about the people who can't even afford a car let alone a Ford Focus.

I, for one, am doing something about it. I'm going to screw this world. It won't slow down this Capitalist Snowball we've created, and it won't make a difference in the world. I won't be known for anything, and I won't have tons of money. I won't write a book about it to make money. I'm going to make money off the capitalists, enough for me to enjoy what makes me happy, and spend it on things I love. A nice home, a college fund for kids, cars, and vacations. I want to create experiences. I will lie relentlessly if someone asks me why I was late or didn't show up - despite what they say, they don't give a damn about whether I was alive or not. They just care about the lost opportunity of making a buck, and the lost productivity from paying me a buck. These people don't matter to me.

But I'll be happy.

aussie rocket,

I do strongly oppose capitalism. But it doesn't end there. I wanted to wake you up to see the same things I see right now. The little, tiny, trivial things that are part of a giant scheme for someone else to make money and it's stealing our liveliness from us. We want money because they wanted money. They wanted money to dominate the world and didn't carewho had to suffer for it.

IMO there's nothing less noble in the world. It's the most covert terrorist operation mankind has ever seen. Even murder is the murder of 1 person. But in the case of capitalism, each capitalist winner is killing way more than one person. Just because we can't see the weapon doesn't mean they didn't do it.

They have people hooked on booze, drugs and money. But cannabis is illegal? How silly. I can go out and buy advil and alcohol right now with money. All those things can lead to my death through addiction or wrecklessness. Can the same be said for cannabis? This is just one example..

They're fighting for democracy around the world... But there are people dying of starvation in republics and democracies all over the world. Is the political system of a country more important than feeding people? Is the blood of a Westerner more valuable than the blood of an African? Must you kill people for money when there are people already dying for you to have money?

I'll hand it to them though... They're SO good at what they do. They're SO incredibly good at it that we don't even notice it in our everyday lives. If a presidential candidate wanted to ban alcohol tomorrow, decriminalize drugs and donate all the money that used to go to the drug war to the starving people of the world.. Humanity would be in a better place. But that doesn't make profit, does it?

16. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

well, capitalism promises you one thing. the more money you have, the less it matters. it isn't poetic, cathartic or pretty, but if you actually want to alleviate the burdens and contradictions you have described of capitalism, go and make a bunch of money and spend that money making an original statement for everyone to hear.

17. meh

meh Contributing Member

Over the years, I've pretty much came up with a similar idea regarding happiness. However, there's an inherent problem.

People have trouble lowering expectations.

For example, if you grew up with millionaire parents, you probably won't be satisfied with 50k a year job. If your parents keep telling you you're the brightest kid in the world, getting a 90 on a test might keep you up at night.

The problem with the US is that there's so much promise of moving up. When it happens, you just want to keep going. When it doesn't happen, you feel down. But it's hard to accept things the way they are, because that's not "American".

When I go to villiages in China, I've seen families living on income that's less than how much I spend on just food. And they're happier than me. They tell me that how each generation is improving, and what a bright future their child would have. It's heart-warming.

Yet, if I had to live in their shoes, I'd probably kill myself.

18. aussie rocket

aussie rocket Member

Ehsan,

Since you are from Dubai (I just just had a quick look at your profile - yeah I know..stalker) I see what you are saying in a whole new light.

The rate things are going on over there is mental.

I am only 25, but I am always told i'm 'such an old man' because of the similar sentiments I have that you so eloquently discussed.

Just because I refuse to buy into their never ending partying, drinking etc. and actually see the value of a conversation that doesnt happen via text message or email.

Keep fighting the good fight. :)

19. rhadamanthus

rhadamanthus Contributing Member

Life rule #6,458: It's very difficult to willingly lower one's standard of living.

And Rocket River is spot-on, IMO. The problem is people. Too many. And too obsessed with silly societal norms disjointed from actual happiness. I know I'm in that proverbial rut right now - but see life rule #6,458 above for the quandrary.

20. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

Happiness is a V-Twin between your legs and a curvy road. Everything else is just window dressing.