1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Slow starts

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Yellow, Nov 9, 2013.

Tags:
  1. Yellow

Yellow Member

I seriously want to see what people here think are the reasons for us getting off to slow starts and having to make comeback after comeback to win. In the pre-season, we won every single 1st quarter and simply dominated from start to finish. Granted, it was pre-season, but there must be some reasons other then that why we turned 180. The only reason I can come up with is the different starting line-up.

2. keldraco

keldraco Member

TT

lin on the bench

3. Yellow

Yellow Member

Lin thinks it's starting five, but the mindset even more. Guess that makes sense.

4. cn0gd

cn0gd Member

butterfly effect and chain reaction. since Lex decided to hire mcsuccess.

5. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Member

Lin is just saying the PC thing to say. In his head he's thjnking its because he's not starting. Anyways, twin towers and no lin means not enough offensive options to start the game. Its not a freaking mystery. McHale is an idiot.

6. tomato123

tomato123 Rookie

TT effect + constantly iso

What do you think? remember, preseason's stats doesn't count, everyone wanted their stats padding on that first line up after the season start. Selfishness is allover the Atmosphere.

The real testing for the first line up is can they came back from score deficit. Usually, the more deep the score deficit is, the more stickier the ball is on somebody's hand.

7. IzakDavid13

IzakDavid13 Member

If Popovich was coaching this wouldn't be happening...& I'm a supporter of McHale. It's just that some of his decisions are mind boggling at times.

8. New

This year is a big test for Mchale to show if he is capable of working with stars as a head coach. So far I doubt if he can coach harden:
    1 harden's game has not changed from his old days.
    2 it has been three games in which harden did not give a reasonable effort on defense.

9. 34to11

34to11 Member

Hmmm...guess what our lowest scoring 1st quarter was this season..and who was starting?

10. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Maybe McHale's role is just lure Howard and possibly another big man to the Rockets.
    And then they swap him for a veteran coach. Might be the plan from the beginning.

11. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

2 of our lowest 1st quarters:

1. vs Charlotte - Bev Starting
    2. vs Lakers - Bev Starting

12. Morlock O

Morlock O Member

oops missed the vs UTAH-Lin starting

13. PatBeverleyFan

14. PatBeverleyFan

15. hatwin1976

hatwin1976 Member

I guess slow start means we score much lower than the opponent. If we scored 10 and the opponent got 4 after the first quarter. I accept the slow start for every game.

16. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

TT can explain our offensive struggle. TT does not explain our defensive struggle - in fact, we should excel defensively with TT.

I don't quite recall what happen in the Utah 1Q, but for the Lakers and Clippers, we were NOT defending the perimeter (and lot of it due to Harden sleeping on D).

17. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

Wasn't lin starting in la when we got murderd in the 1st?

18. durvasa

durvasa Member

We do lose some defensive mobility in the front-court with TT. They won't be able to close out on shooters as effectively.

19. Spiegel

Spiegel Member

The problem is the Primeter defense and the 3pt defense in particular.We have guys gambling on passes especially on the corner 3's and the net result is the corner shooters get wide open looks. Then the rotation defense is horrible as well. No one switches or plays any help defense either.

20. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

It's mental, for Harden in particular. Also Howard. I don't know what's going on with Parson so far this season, but also some mental thing.

Harden thinks he can cruise at times and turn it on when he needs to, because he's young and that #1 SG-type stuff went to his head. Howard is slightly flaky, but I'm not complaining.

Also, Bev is not 100% yet. It will help when he is back to 100%.

If everyone had playoff focus, we would be a great team. We'll see it at times this season. Rox can beat anyone if they're tuned in.