1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. LIVE WATCH EVENT
    Where will the Houston Rockets pick in the 2024 NBA Draft? We're watching the NBA Draft Lottery results live on Sunday, with the room discussion starting at 1:30pm CT. Come join us!

NBA Draft Lottery - LIVE!

[Slow Pitch Softball] What bat is right for me?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by mylilpony, Oct 24, 2011.

Tags:
  1. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

I'm looking to upgrade my bat. I currently use a 28 oz. Worth, but I'm thinking of going to a 30 oz.

Does anyone have a suggestion for an ASA approved bat?

2. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

What's your full name? :eek:

3. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

The heavier the better since you have to generate much of the force.

I use an old Worth aluminum from the late 1980's... 34 inches/32 oz, end loaded, nice sweet spot. I've been with it longer than my wife.

4. boomboom

boomboom I GOT '99 PROBLEMS
    Supporting Member

5. crose

crose Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Any composite bat should be OK. The Worth 454 Filthy Midload is apparently pretty hot right now. Heavier is not necessarily better, as it all about bat speed. If you are strong enough to generate plenty of bat speed using a 30 oz, then more power to you, but you most likely should be using 28 and below.

Here is a reference for you:

http://batreviews.kellysultimatesports.com/

These guys even have a bat break in service for an extra 20 bucks!

Hope this helps.

6. rimrocker

If you're a girly man, sure.

The bat is an extension of your arms, the hips start in an 45 degree angle from the plate, meaning you're looking over your shoulder at the pitcher. The bat is held just over your shoulder with a slight rising angle. As the ball approaches, the swing begins with the bat dropping and the hips opening up with the step. Put the sweetspot on the ball just ever so slightly under the center of the ball and let the end-loaded bat help you pull it around. Just after contact, the wrists turn over and the hips continue to move towards third base as you explode through the ball. Complete your follow through, and it's yard to left. Begin your trot.

1 person likes this.
  7. crose

Supporting Member

Whatever works for you. You are using a 1980's relic so apparently you are a very large hombre. For the other 99% of us, a 28 oz and below composite is the weapon of choice. The weight is only a number used for bragging after a pissing contest. The proof is in how far back the 3rd baseman stands when you step into the box.

If I am playing 3rd, and you step in with your 80's ping bat I will feel at ease. If you can eat me up using that thing I will tip my hat and call you a man!

8. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

Personally I find a 34 to be a little to bulky to get around consistently.

If you're coming from a 28, I can't imagine going bigger than a 30 unless you radically change your swing.

9. rimrocker

If you're playing third, I don't really care about you. If my HR swing is dialed in, the only question is whether I get too much pop-up action to bring the outfielders into play. If my home run swing is not dialed in, I'll hit liners at the SS.

(So I don't sound too cocky here, I will note my idea of a successful slowpitch softball game is if I drive in more runs than I allow to score by error.)

10. Buck Turgidson

DeMarini. Don't know what their product line is now, they got banned in our league a few years ago but i'm sure they have legal stuff now. They are the best softball bats you'll find.

11. Buck Turgidson

Then again, before you spend $300 for a new one, just remember it's like a computer, musical instrument, computer or grill...matters more who's using it opposed to what they use.

12. Nook

Nook Member

They make great bats.

I am 6'5" 235 and use a 34 inch, 32 ounce and have no issues driving the ball.

13. crose

Supporting Member

This is not true as of about 10 years ago. Since the introduction of the composite design that all bat companies have gone to, Demarini is no better or worse than Miken, Easton, or Worth.

As you have stated, though, it is more on the user than anyhting else, but softball bat technology has created a game of one-upsmanship where each of the aforementioned companies are heavily invested.

14. Dirt

Dirt Member

15. Pipe

Pipe Contributing Member

From an earlier thread - forks over knives

Damn dude, you are an unbelievably exceptional athlete. You sure had a growth spurt from your 2:17 marathoning days. :eek:

;)

16. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

It's all a matter of personal preference and what kind of hitter you are. I prefer double-wall aluminum to composite, personally. I use a 34/26 Anderson Rocketech. The sweet spot's smaller than on a composite, but I have a very compact swing and I like to let the ball get deep, so for me the combination of batspeed and control are key. It's an approach that keeps me from getting into bad habits and letting my swing get too long. I've seen some people get their swings all screwed up when they switch to slow pitch.

17. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Use an autographed Babey Ruth bat that you stole from your stepdad, and see what happens...

18. mylilpony

mylilpony Member

19. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In the league I'm in composite bats aren't allowed. The barrel of the bat has to have only one layer of metal. There can be no fiber wrapped bats, or exterior shell bats, and they can't contain titanium.

So some of the ASA approved bats still aren't allowed in the league I'm in.