1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Slovenian fans want to see Luka Doncic leave Dallas?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sengoat28, Nov 17, 2022.

1. YOLO

YOLO Member

Doesn't end up like Dirk? The same Dirk who's a former nba champion, mvp, finals mvp, all nba, all star, hall of famer. I mean if you're hoping someone doesn't end up with those kind of accolades what else would you be striving for

Dobbizzle and napalm06 like this.
  2. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Member

He is an all time great, with only one ring. That is what I meant. Today's basketball would not let a one-man team such as Luka's to get a championship though. Too much competition.

3. RasaqBoi

RasaqBoi Member

Snow Villiers likes this.
  4. cheke64

cheke64 Member

KPJ already does the Luka offense. We might need him at the corner 3

5. YOLO

YOLO Member

we don't really know what the next championship team is. Once GS fades away which is actually pretty close, well see whose next up

Rinaldi likes this.
  6. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

And you never replied to the message where it was pointed out that he makes $43M and is in his 5th year.

Please explain the meaning of veteran, to you. Does veteran have a negative meaning in your village?

I don't know what university taught you about sports but it clearly was not John Lucas University.

7. Rinaldi

Rinaldi Member

I teach recreation and nature sports as an associate doctor at uni. and you cant call a 23 year old teen a veteran just because he was around for 5 years. regards.

8. Snow Villiers

Snow Villiers Member

:eek::cool:

RasaqBoi and TimDuncanDonaut like this.
  9. TimDuncanDonaut

There are some NBA players I don't want on the Rockets. Luka is one of them. Call it stubborn team fandom; I don't care. Dude is a living embodiment of an interstate rival: Dallas Maverick.

Less important but worth noting for mental health is imagine the Mavs fans and the Luka-only fans flooding this BBS. There would be a Harden v. Luka thread every week. In those debates, some of us might be forced to learn and look up Mavs' historical team records and such... not something I want to do.

[​IMG]

#49 TimDuncanDonaut, Nov 18, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 18, 2022
  10. LukaMVP

LukaMVP Member

Luka is one of the few players in the league that will NEVER be traded simply because they are too valuable and too important for their teams (prime Lebron another example), and even if they demand to be traded it's still be hard to get it done due to their high prices (the farce of Durant trade in the past summer, for example). Luka is worth at least 10 unprotected first rounders if he is ever traded and of course no team could afford that.

I think the Mavs are doing fine with Doncic, being a perennial playoff team and making improvements year by year, and Christian Wood is a good addition to their squad thanks to the Rockets, They just need to make a few more good moves and they will become a legit title contender like the 2011 team. The current Mavs are pretty much like the 09-10 version, Luka may be better than the 09-10 Dirk (knowing the best Dirk was in 06) while the role players are just as mediocre. Kidd is now leading the team in a different role (as a real coach now, rather than "coach on the court") and Luka is just unstoppable the opposing team never has a solution to. Mavs just need another "Tyson Chandler" type of trade to fix their weakest link and they will make another serious run for the championship.

I understand it when a player leaves his own team for a title contender to win more championships and to pursue a higher historical status. Lebron was successful, he has four and he is the all-time No.2, and he is now pursing the first place on the all-time scoring list and maybe a few more championships as well. I think Doncic, if staying with Mavs, will probably not have a chance to challenge Lebron as the all-time No.2, but the possibility of him retiring without a ring is also very small. And if he moves elsewhere, although I genuinely hope he will achieve great success and win multiple championships that he finely deserves, I still cannot overlook the possibility of him being trapped in Durant's dilemma.

11. pmac

pmac Contributing Member

I'm a Luka fan and I was a Harden fan when he was here but you're kinda making their argument for them. The argument is they dominate the ball and the team can only play one way. This leads to very good regular season teams but no championships so far. In order to win a championship both guys will have to change something.

So, did a clutchfans member create this profile to make this post or is this person scouring the internet for all the forums currently talking about Luka.

I'm not sure which is worse.

Dobbizzle likes this.
  12. LukaMVP

LukaMVP Member

nba is a business and i would never blame luka even if he walked elsewhere someday but could any amart person please point out the right destination for Doncic? the nets looked stacked with the trio of durant/irving/beard, and now they are the laughing stock. if there is a dominant team that can win the title with ease and that can also guarantee luka the alpha role, i'd happily see him walking there even with nothing in return.

i agree that Luka deserves better supporting cast though.

13. htownborn34

htownborn34 Member

Luka’s only in his 5th year and coming off of a WCF appearance my dude, most star players don’t even win their first ring until they’re close to approaching a decade in the league unless they were drated in a good situation like Magic, Duncan, Kobe. And truth be told Dallas did get Luka a #2 in Porzingis, they just didn’t fit plus he’s injury prone. Also it’s not true to say Dallas didn’t bring Dirk a #2, when technically he was on what could be considered a Big 3 playing next to Steve Nash and Michael Finley. Hell there was a year Dirk played with Steve Nash, Michael Finley, Antawn Jamison, and Antoine Walker (who were all all-star caliber players at that point) and couldn’t get past the first round. Dirk just so happen to win without all of those guys and with lesser talent, which brings me to my next point, sometime teams work best when it’s addition to subtraction of stars next to the superstar. IMO Luka is similar to LeBron, Harden, Westbrook as in he plays his best with lesser talent and the system is revolves around him. Dallas made it the farthest they have made it since they won that championship in 2011 after they traded Porzingis and put shooters and role guys around him. Dallas isn’t exactly an attractive spot for free agents for whatever reason, they usually end up with borderline all star or role player level free agents but never really got the big fish. But to there credit they’ve always been able to do good in making trades for talent and drafting ever since Cuban took over. So I say give it time, I don’t know where Luka’s loyalty lies with the Mavs, but Cuban and that front office will likely make something happens before he does become a free agent

#53 htownborn34, Nov 19, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2022
  14. LukaMVP

LukaMVP Member

Luka will be the trademark of NBA after
    totally agree with you bro. Luka will win his rings sooner or later wherever he plays. Maybe he can win more with a stronger team but i'm not sure if the possible one or two extra rings are really worth the risk of confronting all those controversies like those Lebron and Durant received when they made their "decisions". Cavs fans burned Lebron's jerseys the summer he joined Miami and the fans even considered changing their name to "Mavaliers" when Mavs defeated Miami in 2011. Not to say Durant... Luka has the rights and the potential to make even greater achievements than Lebron's, and if he can do all those things with one team he'll certainly surpass Lebron on the all-time list, otherwise if he also joined some "super friends" to win ships elsewhere he'd be remembered as Lebron 2.0 at best.

Rinaldi likes this.
  15. Garner

Garner Member

Dallas won a ring with dirk. So there is that.

16. Reeko

Reeko Member

OP really created a burner account called LukaMVP to try and give this thread more traction…

KingCheetah and YOLO like this.
  17. Sengoat28

Sengoat28 Member

Watch my name and tell me i created this tread only for trolling..watch my other tread here and why i got need to register....

18. Sengoat28

Sengoat28 Member

I think u dreaming a bit 2 much. U think every player is like Dirk and stay forever on same ream no matter how good ir bad the roaster is? Luka wanna win many rings and get many records. He will go somewhere else with dallas he cant win a single ring and if u think he sit and w8 till dallas bring every jear 1 role player the u need keep dreaming. I made this tread because i think luka will leave in my opinion maybe in 1 ir 2 jears and i hope he plays then with Alperen Sengun this 2 players are my 2 fav players

LukaMVP likes this.
  19. LukaMVP

LukaMVP Member

Although Doncic may walk as a free agent when his contract is up, no way would the Mavs lose him via a trade since no team could actually afford him, even a one-year rental of him would cost at least 3 first round picks. Even in the case where Luka demands a trade and you get a discount, you would still give up more than half of the young prospects you have plus a bunch of picks (like how the Lakers got unibrow). You'd have a window of 3-4 years to run for championships but after that your supporting cast would be just as mediocre as the garbage the Mavs currently have. Houston is a big market, not as big as LA or NY but still it can lure some big names in town once in a while so why not wait until Luka becomes a free agent?

20. Ancient Moabite

I don't care where you teach at because once you get past nine-teen years you are entering quasi adulthood at twenty

Thir-teen starts your teen age years and the number I mentioned above is the cut off from that

Since he been playing pro ball since overseas and going on fifth season in NBA he is clearly a so called vet and will become more of a seasoned vet as he ages from here on out

#60 Ancient Moabite, Nov 19, 2022
    Last edited: Nov 19, 2022