1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sloan Moves Into 3rd On All-Time Wins List

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by HRocketsFan, Dec 24, 2010.

1. HRocketsFan

HRocketsFan Member

http://realgm.com/src_wiretap_archives/70746/20101224/sloan_moves_into_third_on_all_time_wins_list/#

Does anyone else think that the Utah Jazz have hung on to Jerry Sloan longer than they should have? 23 years is a long time for a coach to have a job considering that he hasn't won a title. He's had numerous winning seasons, but other than his 2 Finals appearances, his teams has been average in the playoffs. He's a good coach and it's a nice achievement, but I often wonder what the Jazz could do if they made a coaching change. Not that I want them to get better or anything.

2. dback816

dback816 Member

They'd get worse if they got any of the available coaches right now

A lot worse

3. Outlier

Outlier Member

Sloan is due for a championship.

4. the_hustler

the_hustler Member

He never had the team to win a title after the Stockton-Malone days.

5. wikiwiki

wikiwiki Member

More goes into winning a championship then just a great coach.

Just like there are many great players that haven't won championships, there are many great coaches that haven't won championships. A championship is a perfect storm of dozens of factors, among them things which are uncontrollable, like luck, injury, quality of competition.

So basing all evaluation on just the single metric of "Championship?" is not really very logical.

Jerry Sloan is a very excellent coach- as evidenced by the consistency with which Utah plays excellently from year to year, in spite of often not having very much star power. Another bit of important evidence is how many players witness a lot of improved performance when going to that team, and decreased performance after leaving it.

6. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

Ban him.

7. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

I wouldn't complain 23 years of pretty much competing deep into the playoffs every year.

8. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

I think holding on to Sloan is the smartest thing the Utah organization has ever done. It isn't easy to get top notch coaches to go to Utah, so they've held on to their own top notch coach. You tell me who is better who would go there?

9. what

what Member

great coach. 'nough said.

10. Sirton

Sirton Contributing Member

Its amazing being in such a crappy market what Sloan has coached that team to acheive.... Most teams in a market like that are toilet teams....Well then again Sloan and the Utah j*zz is what goes in those toilets.

11. OkayAyeReloaded

I hate his team and him when they put on their uniforms and step on the court. But I do respect the enemy, and off the court I think he is one of the all time great NBA coaches.

It must feel pretty good to be a walking Hall of famer before you even retire. I found out he never won the coach of the year award before though, which I found surprising.

12. Kam

Kam Contributing Member

He's still in dead last in championships.

13. The Situation

The Situation Member

1211 Wins = 0 Rings

Lol

14. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

Jerry Sloan is a dirtbag. I hope he never wins a championship.

15. SuperBeeKay

SuperBeeKay Member

They keep him because he knows how to pick the right white players from the NBA draft

16. OkayAyeReloaded

Oh yeah...

And both us and Chicago have used their foreheads as stepping stones to championships. ;)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

17. Roxs-Redemption

He is a great coach, but I dislike the Jazz...that make me say: He should retire if he doesn't win any championships this year...