1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sleepy Floyd vs Kenny Smith

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Mar 27, 2008.

?

PG would be

1. Sleepy

58 vote(s)
    51.8%
  2. Kenny

54 vote(s)
    48.2%
  1. rodrick_98

rodrick_98 Contributing Member

no love for the always injured?

[​IMG]

or

[​IMG]

and i couldn't find a pic of emanuel davis.

2. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think Sampson lost his confidence fighting Sichting. He lost his confidence blowing his knees out.

3. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Kenny, no question. His three point shooting would be awesome for this team. Plus, Kenny is championship tested.

4. SupermanSK

SupermanSK Contributing Member

Eric sleepy floyd over lil kenny and day

5. LewLLOYD

LewLLOYD Member

I remember watching some incredible games by Sleepy Floyd in a rockets uni. I just don't remember them being big games.

Of course, Kenny was on the team who won the titles. So, I think Kenny's current day commentary might have something to do with why I voted Sleepy.

Hmmm. No. I never really liked Kenny all that much. I thought we were much better with Cassel and Elie, and I felt they were the ones who solidified our team. Honestly, I remember watching games and thinking we would be okay when Cassel and Elie got into the game. Was I wrong to think that?

6. wheelmi

wheelmi Contributing Member

Kenny 48% career 3pt average, enough said!

7. ACL1

ACL1 Member

Sleepy was a much better finisher on the fast break, kenny could dunk early in his career but he was always afraid of contact and he would blow the layup to avoid contact.

Rafer Sucks at lay-ups.

I remember the year they brought in Vernon and put them in the back court with sleepy that was incredible to watch those two run.

sleepy was not as bad a 3 shooter, especially when he would get pissed. sometimes he would decide he was not going to loose, and he would take over the game.

my favorite quote of Don Chaney was when he said his guards could not defend his grandmother on the perimeter. couple of games later he was canned.

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

we had to get rid of Ralph, unfortunately his career was over when he got injured in Boston. I'm thinking if Ralph had today's medical staff, he wouldn't have to be in this position.

Think about Yao this year. Back in the 80s, Yao would have played for sure. Then he'd ruin his career too. Ralph should have never played after Boston, and rehabbed himself, but he didn't so his injuries piled up like a domino effect.

Ralph didn't loose any confidence, he was in pain.

Sleepy had his moments with the Rockets. However, kenny was the more consistent shooter. Sleepy and Maxwell in the back court was pretty much two streak shooters.

9. Yodels

Yodels Contributing Member

Who remembers Sports Sunday...playing Every Step you Take by the Police...while showing clips of Ralph Sampson the day of the trade...I wasn't happy about the trade for Sleepy Floyd but in the end it was a good deal along with JB Carroll

Kenny was one of those players I thought the Rockets could never have...we seemed to have grounded guards before the trade for him. Otis was another player I coveted before the trade. Correct me if I'm wrong but I think we got him for JB Carroll. So in Kenny & Otis we got 2 stellar players at their position. Another player I was salavating over was v-Max when he killed us while he was at San Antonio. His drives were so nifty and Jordanesque. That 94 team was such a perfect fit team for the NBA at the time and I knew it...but I digress...

Sleepy could finish in traffic better than Kenny. Akeem couldn't appreciate playing with him. He didn't see the value of a scoring guard at the time, so he would yell at him to give him the ball. I don't blame Sleepy for not exploding in Houston. He was actually a pretty good player that could finish wayyyy better than Rafer. His dribbling style was unique. I loved his hesitation dribble ...

Kenny had a more consistent shot in Houston. I remember Pat Riley fearing our combination of guards at the time (Maxwell, Sleepy, & Kenny) who could go off for 40 any night...

10. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

11. ACL1

ACL1 Member

I thought we got OT for Jim Peterson, or was it both JB Carol and Jim Peterson.

it was still worth it, as much as i loved jim peterson.

12. weslinder

weslinder Contributing Member

I didn't read the first post before voting. I liked Sleepy Floyd better, he was a much better perimeter defender, and he could go off. That being said, if I'm picking a player to replace Rafer on this team, I'm going with Kenny Smith. He's a better shooter, and he could do great things with those shots on this team.

13. DarkHorse

DarkHorse Contributing Member

I think pre-Rockets Kenny was better than the Kenny we had, although our Kenny was a little more mature. Overall I think Kenny was the better player, but Sleepy had the talent.

14. Milad

Milad Member

SLEEPY ALL THE WAY! Kenny with his crappy defense can get lost....

15. TheGM

TheGM Contributing Member

What did Rafer do to the Valet boy?

16. Yetti

Yetti Contributing Member

Kenny Smith was the floor general of two Championship Teams! Also he was a Playmaker and a great Three Point Shooter.I saw both he and Floyd play for the Rockets. Sleepy was a shooter like Rafer!!!!!!:p

17. Apollo Creed

Apollo Creed Contributing Member

I can't NOT pick Kenny.

If it's a champion team comparison to another Rockets team, the clutch city years win 9/10...

18. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Everyone remembers the shot in Game 1. Nobody recalls that Kenny Smith was outplayed and forced to the bench by Eldridge Recasner the very next season, and was out of the league a year after that.

Sleepy was a heck of a player back in the day. He could get his own shot and I bet in his prime could have gotten the ball across halfcourt without being abused by Derek Harper.

19. cson

cson Contributing Member

I'm rolling w/ Kenny "two rings" Smith, despite the tnt haters.

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

And everybody keeps forgetting the young Kenny Smith we got from Sacremento running the pick-n-roll with Otis Thorpe like he was Stockton.

And no one remembers that Kenny Smith vs the Utah Jazz who torched the Jazz for a thousand three pointers for the series.

And no one remembers the reason why had to get Kenny Smith... Sleepy Floyd