1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Sleep Apnea

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by hotballa, Apr 24, 2013.

Tags:
  1. ling ling

ling ling Member

What model CPAP did you get? How many hours were on it?

The mask pictured is called ResMed Swift FX.

Amazon has these mask system with sm, md, and lg pillows in the package.

Resmed Swift Fx Nasal Pillow System. $95 shipped

Resmed Airfit P10 $74 shipped.

ResMed Mirage Swift II Nasal Pillow with Headgear. $88 shipped

2. jcantu

jcantu Contributing Member

you can buy the swift fx online as others have directed, although it has been replaced by the AirFit P10 Mask. It is a good mask but not as durable as most (but very comfortable).

What is your pressure? Swift Fx (or basically any nasal pillows mask) becomes intolerable at pressures above 12-14 due to a jet effect which occurs because of the small openings. So make sure you have a lower pressure than that. If you are a mouth breather, then buy a chin strap in addition.

3. AB423

AB423 Member

Not all people with sleep apnea have weight issues.. I would say I'm normal weight but I am asian.. asians tend to have shorter necks which can lead to sleep apnea.

Thanks for the links... after reading some reviews, I ended up getting this http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00I5YK8QE/ref=oh_details_o00_s00_i00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I got the Resmed S8 elite which had around 1100 hours on it. I used it last night with a full face mask.. I did wake up a few times with it last night but man I woke up today feeling like a different person. Usually I wake up tired even after like 10 hours of sleep and then I would take a 2-3 hour nap everyday and would feel unable to concentrate. Best money I spent no doubt and I didn't even need a Dr.:grin:

Thanks jcantu for the help also!

4. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

aren't we all...

5. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Entirely true. Last year we discovered that my son, who was 7 at the time, had serious sleep apnea caused by enlarged tonsils. He was extremely thin at the time, and it was due to the lack of rest. We got them taken out and he sleeps like a rock now, has grown ~25 lbs since October 13 and literally eats more than me.

TLDR- sleep apnea can be caused by several things and it can be permanently corrected in some cases.

#65 Xerobull, Jul 22, 2014
    Last edited: Jul 22, 2014
  6. rezdawg

rezdawg Contributing Member

7. ling ling

ling ling Member

Very cool. Good to know that it's helping you. What is your pressure setting and how did you find that? If you use humidifier, use distilled water so you don't get hard water buildup. Also read up on the proper cleaning procedure for your mask.

1 person likes this.
  8. AB423

AB423 Member

Good to hear your son is doing good now!

How much would that go for?

My pressure setting that I used last night was 4, I'm gonna try to go up on it tonight. I youtubed it and it showed me how to change it. Thanks for the help.

9. ling ling

ling ling Member

Cool. I hear that a 4 is the borderline pressure where you would need a CPAP.

Keep adjusting until you don't snore anymore.

10. AB423

AB423 Member

What pressure do you use?

11. ling ling

ling ling Member

I was at an 8. I increased it to 8.5. I might go back to an 8 since I have lost some weight.

12. astros99

astros99 Contributing Member

Bump. Had a sleep study and got diagnosed with OSA. Bought a machine off CL. My prescription says I need a 9. Tried 2 full face masks (both were really uncomfortable) and 1 hybrid mask (i feel like it has small leaks, but fits better). Tried to sleep with the hybrid mask last night but felt like I stopped breathing really fast so I just took it off.

Should I raise the pressure on my own? Or should I keep trying different masks til I find a better one? Have already wasted a few hundred on masks so not too happy about that.

Also is getting tonsils removed for adults an option? Really pissed that it has not improved over the last few months, especially after I've spent a decent amount on sleep study + equipment. Would literally pay whatever just to sleep normally. I really start dread going to bed now just because I'm worried about how bad my sleep will be.

13. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Yes, you can get your tonsils removed as an adult.

14. ling ling

ling ling Member

What model cpap and masks did you get?

Don't spend any extra money for yet.

15. Cranberry_Juice

Just sleep with a fan facing you. Works for me....at least that's what the wife says.

16. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

Do not put the full mask on until you are actually sleepy and nodding off. See if that helps you get to sleep.

17. astros99

Masks- Mirage full face quattro, mirage liberty hybrid with nasal pillows

Machine- Phillips Resmed respironics with A flex

18. astros99

I feel like I definitely need a full face mask. I think I start out breathing through my mouth and then eventually breathe through my nose. I think trying a smaller mask of the mirage full face quattro should help. Will try that and post back. Just got off a flight where I couldn't even fall asleep cause I kept waking right back up due to not breathing. Gonna see a dr about getting tonsils removed ASAP. This is really starting to get troublesome and having a huge toll on me day to day.

19. ling ling

ling ling Member

Just wondering. How come you got a sleep study and the doctor allowed you to buy a cpap through a non medical supplier?

Here's what webmd say about tonsillectomy for adults. http://www.webmd.com/sleep-disorder...ctomy-for-obstructive-sleep-apnea-and-snoring

links to masks leaking and why you are tired.
    http://www.cpaphelpdesk.com/hybrid-cpap-mask-is-leaking-and-drying-me-out.html

http://www.cpaphelpdesk.com/hybrid-cpap-mask.html

The Phillips is a very good machine.

When I first used the cpap, it was hard to breath and hard to get used to.

I was worried about getting the swift fx because I often breath through my mouth. It turns out, pumping air through my nose forces my mouth to close while I sleep. I was breathing through my mouth because my nasal was closed up.

For your case, I would suggest:
    setup the A flex feature. I think it would start at a 5 in your case and increase pressure over a few minutes time.

setup the humidifier

use the cpap while you are awake, like surfing the net, read a book or watching a movie while sitting on a recliner.

Go ahead and sleep on the recliner for a few days.

You will allow your body to adjust to the cpap easier.

Instead of increasing the pressure, I would consider lowering the pressure a little until you get used to it. Maybe a 6 or 7, then increase a 1/2 point per day until you get to a 9.

20. ling ling

ling ling Member

I meant to say setup ramp instead of A flex. You can also setup A flex.